Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25

    Question Onkyo TX - SR607

    Hi,
    I have a question for someone who has or is using Onkyo TX-SR607. The previous owner of our house had a in-wall wiring throughout the house. However, he has 2 sets of red/black banana plugs with 2 rooms in each set.

    How do I connect these to my receiver? I just have one Zone2 and the banana plugs didn't go in. How do I connect it? What kind of plugs/connectors do I need?

    Please advise.

    Thanks,
    Prince

  2. #2
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    The TX-SR607 is designed to be connected with bare wire. The manual says to strip the end of the wire, insert it in the terminal and screw it down.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    The TX-SR607 is designed to be connected with bare wire. The manual says to strip the end of the wire, insert it in the terminal and screw it down.
    Thanks for your reply. Wow!! Now that's gonna be a challenge for me. The wiring is so complex that to remove the connectors and plug in the bare wire am gonna be very scared not to mess up the system :S

  4. #4
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    Is your system setup so you need to plug bananas into a wall outlet? Or are there wires coming out of the wall that have bananas on them?

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Is your system setup so you need to plug bananas into a wall outlet? Or are there wires coming out of the wall that have bananas on them?
    Wires are coming out of the wall that have bananas on them. The wires are too thin for me to splice them. I used a splitter for 12AWG speaker wires but these are too thin. To make things more complicated, 2 rooms are in one set :$, and there are 2 sets of red/black plugs.

  6. #6
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    It sounds like you could cut the bananas off, strip the last half-inch of the wires and insert them in the receiver's speaker terminals. If you want to keep the bananas on, you might also be able to put a pin connector on the banana plug, like this...

    http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action

  7. #7
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    It sounds like you could cut the bananas off, strip the last half-inch of the wires and insert them in the receiver's speaker terminals. If you want to keep the bananas on, you might also be able to put a pin connector on the banana plug, like this...

    http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action
    You are super duper awesome ) Saved me tons of work and stress ) I was looking for something like this, but still learning all the names Thanks a bunch.

  8. #8
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    Quote Originally Posted by priince
    You are super duper awesome ) Saved me tons of work and stress ) I was looking for something like this, but still learning all the names Thanks a bunch.
    Glad I could help out. Now that you know the terms to search for, maybe you could find flexible pin connectors with banana receptacles, so they'll go in your speaker terminals even more easily than the ones I found.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Glad I could help out. Now that you know the terms to search for, maybe you could find flexible pin connectors with banana receptacles, so they'll go in your speaker terminals even more easily than the ones I found.
    So why would you like to make it difficult .. haha!! Kidding. Thanks though, that was a good idea.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    So I have already spent 2-3 hours looking for a banana to pin connector (flexible) with no luck.

    Any help?

  11. #11
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    Quote Originally Posted by priince
    So I have already spent 2-3 hours looking for a banana to pin connector (flexible) with no luck.

    Any help?
    Come to think of it, I think I'd cut the banana plugs off and strip the last half-inch of the wire. Is there any reason you couldn't do that? You could always put the banana plugs back on, later.

  12. #12
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,685
    If you want flexible connectors, these are what you need.

    http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/m...ii-127758.html

    But the ones that Noob posted will do just fine.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp, Pass X-1 Preamp
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Hybrid Tube Preamp and Ultra Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  13. #13
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    I like the ones blackraven posted best, but you'd have to cut off your existing banana plugs.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    If you want flexible connectors, these are what you need.

    http://www.wildwestelectronics.net/m...ii-127758.html

    But the ones that Noob posted will do just fine.
    I appreciate your help.

    @Audionoob - I can splice wires. Challenges for me are the wires are in-wall, very thin, and multiple. If I make a mistake I don't want to blow up the system or cut the wires too short to reach my receiver. Since I am doing it first time there are chances I might not get them spliced in one go.

  15. #15
    Forum Regular blackraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    4,685
    What gauge wires are the speaker wires if they are too thin? I would consider running new wires if they are smaller than 16g and are long runs.

    If you are splicing, I would consider soldering them.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp, Pass X-1 Preamp
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Van Alstine Ultra Hybrid Tube Preamp and Ultra Hybrid Tube DAC
    Martin Logan Original Dynamo Sub
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

  16. #16
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    Based on your description, I'd bet I don't fully understand your situation. I'm talking about just removing the plugs from wires I understand to be hanging out of a wall outlet. The way I splice in the wall is just like installing a light fixture, like this picture...



    Can you show us what you have? Or do you think the pin connectors with the banana receptacles will do what you need?

  17. #17
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Based on your description, I'd bet I don't fully understand your situation. I'm talking about just removing the plugs from wires I understand to be hanging out of a wall outlet. The way I splice in the wall is just like installing a light fixture, like this picture...



    Can you show us what you have? Or do you think the pin connectors with the banana receptacles will do what you need?
    Probably I should have showed the pic. I will get it out tonight. The wires that run in-wall and come out to the entertainment rack are red, green, white, black in color covered by a grey insulation with banana plug terminals. I don't know what guage they are. Sorry for being so amateur
    Appreciate Audionoob and Blackraven for your patience.

  18. #18
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    Ahhh...bi-wire cable!


  19. #19
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    25
    More like this.. closest to what I have..


    Now there are 2 of these.. and 4 banana plugs, 2 reds 2 blacks..

  20. #20
    Retro Modernist 02audionoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,944
    In bi-wiring, one speaker gets an entire set of four wires. Speakers that can be bi-wired have a pair of terminals for the highs and a pair for the lows. So you'd put the red and green on one pair and the white and blue on the other. When you don't bi-wire, you can just leave two of the four wires un-connected.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook