AR Newbie Registered Member

I have 5 speakers, do I need DTS, 6.1, 7.1, etc.???

Hello,
    I'm in the market for my first real H/T receiver and I'm blown away by all the features. Last year I picked up a set of the Klipsch Quintet speakers which tuck away nicely but that don't sound like they did in the store thanks to my outdated receiver.

If I only have 5 speakers (LF, RF, Center, LR, RR and sub), do I have any need for the DTS, 6.1, and 7.1 features? I'm not considering more speakers. Would I do just as well buying an older 5.1 receiver while saving some money?

Thanks.

First of all, do you even have enough space to accommodate two additional speakers in the back? If not, then stick with a 5.1 system, and enjoy the 99.9% of the sound sources out there that are either 1.0, 2.0, or 5.1. 6.1 has a very limited title selection and will remain a niche format.

With that said, if you get any new receiver, chances are that it will be either a 6.1 or "7.1" designated model. So, you'll get the feature whether you can use it or not. If you were more floored by the dealer demo than what you hear at home, chances are that it had more to do with the room acoustics and the system calibration than the receiver (unless your current receiver's a Pro Logic or stereo receiver). Getting the speaker placement and room acoustics right with a 5.1 system make much more of a difference than going with 6.1/"7.1" alone ever can.

Also, most DTS titles out there are 5.1, so you're not missing out on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCalDavis
    Hello,
    I'm in the market for my first real H/T receiver and I'm blown away by all the features. Last year I picked up a set of the Klipsch Quintet speakers which tuck away nicely but that don't sound like they did in the store thanks to my outdated receiver.

If I only have 5 speakers (LF, RF, Center, LR, RR and sub), do I have any need for the DTS, 6.1, and 7.1 features? I'm not considering more speakers. Would I do just as well buying an older 5.1 receiver while saving some money?

Thanks.
    I would make sure the recever you get has DLPII to maximize the 2 channel to 5.1 processing. It is a real improvement over DPL. Also make sure it has Dolby Digital and DTS so you can enjoy those formats. Many companies offer 6.1 and 7.1 and though you may not need it, those receivers may also offer more options you can use.

Good luck.
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Forum Regular

Smile

Eventhough the electronic companies already boasting 6.1, 7.1,etc most of the movie still come out with 5.1, and also most of the tv series release in dvd are still on DD.

So either way, you will likely to get those features, ( ops, make sure your new reveiver have at least DTS, or even better DTS-ES)

Also as Wocchifer says, the room acoustic and speaker placement is more important than how many speakers that you have.

It is only one of many ways for them to sell their products. the same thing like the way they boasted their power rating. Like the about a week ago, my friend was considering to get a new Ht in a box. what he was looking was the watt rating ( which one has more wattage, as compare to the other features like dts,DPLII). My amp only has 25 watt to each channel, (but its a Class "A" and easily obliterates the one with 600 watt total).

Thread Information