Forum Regular

Need help setting up Denon 3805!!

Hey guys,

Im getting ready to set it up using the Denon Mic. My question is, about setting up the low frequency distribution?

I have two choices. LFE or LFE+Main.

Now ive got a set of Klipsch (RF-3 and RC-3 up front), and a paradigm PW2200 sub. Now im pretty sure setting the the mains and centre to large is the way to go, as these speakers can go pretty low. Ive set the crossover to about 80hz.

Anyways, how should i set the low frequency distribution. Do you guys prefer just LFE or LFE+Mains?

Thanks for the help.

**Disclaimer** I have zero experience with the auto calibration features of newer receivers.

My set up used to be quite similar to your klipsch/denon system. I found I had the best results setting the RC-3 to small and keeping the mains to large. While I experimented with setting the mains to small based on some popular thinking, I had a very difficult time getting the bass to blend in seamlessly in that configuration. It may have been as simple as a personal preference but it was the way to go for me. I just don't see the point in nutting a speaker that has the balls to handle some bass without being boomy.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will weigh in with better information. However you go, good luck and have fun. I saw that receiver at Keif's AV in Lawrence KS yesterday and liked what I saw and heard.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    I have my Yamaha set up to LFE+mains- I was playing around with it over the weekend and noticed it was set-up that way. I tested LFE alone and then with the mains- with the mains, it sounded fuller and blended much better.

As far as small vs large- I have floorstanding speakers (Mirage) and I have them set to small- I just let my sub do all the work- especially since it's using it's own amp.

Do a test on your own to see what sounds best to you.

Enjoy!
    Eric

THX suggests setting all speakers to small and a 80hz xover. You can always start there and tweak until your satisfied.

Once I select small for my towers on my Denon, I lose the LFE or LFE+Main option. That's probably the same case with the 3805.

Also when you run the auto setup, it's probably gonna set all your speakers to large, including your surrounds. Your gonna have to adjust that manually. Your sub is going to be off as well. It even states it in the manual. I've run the auto setup using the Denon mic and I've connected my SPL meter to the aux L and ran the setup using the meter instead of the mic. The mic set my sub about 5ft off from the actual distance, but the SPL meter set it 3 ft off. I liked the results of the meter better. I also double checked the levels with the meter and the distances and all was good. I did bring my sub level up a little though, but that's how I like it.

I currently have my system at a 80hz xover and all speakers are set to small.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    I have my Yamaha set up to LFE+mains- I was playing around with it over the weekend and noticed it was set-up that way. I tested LFE alone and then with the mains- with the mains, it sounded fuller and blended much better.

As far as small vs large- I have floorstanding speakers (Mirage) and I have them set to small- I just let my sub do all the work- especially since it's using it's own amp.

Do a test on your own to see what sounds best to you.

Enjoy!
    Eric
    If you use LFE+Mains then your sub isnt doing all the work.
    28,welcome to the world of Denon Manuals. LMAO
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys.

I found that setting the mains to large, centre and surrounds to small, and having the low frequency extension to just LFE, and finally putting the crossover to 60hz (take a deep breath!), gave me the best results.

thanks for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooch28
    Thanks guys.

I found that setting the mains to large, centre and surrounds to small, and having the low frequency extension to just LFE, and finally putting the crossover to 60hz (take a deep breath!), gave me the best results.

thanks for the suggestions.
    Hey, I ended up with the same settings after weeks of playing with my Yammie.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Thread Information