Forum Regular

Question Need help choosing 34" to 46" widescreen tv

Hi all, I just joined the forum and need some guidance. We are moving to a new house with a larger living room and I need to replace my aging 27" tv. We mostly use the tv for watching dvd's so I figure a widescreen model will serve us best. The tv will be in a corner and the seating will be approximately 11 feet from the screen (I currently sit 8 feet from the 27" set). I don't want the tv to be the dominant feature of the room so I don't really want a huge screen. In fact it would be best if it could be hidden away in a smallish entertainment console when not in use.

I have been looking around the local shops and online and so far like the looks of several 34" 16x9 direct view crt's, the Sony KV-34HS420 and Toshiba 34H84 for instance. I might could fit a 46" tabletop RPTV like the Toshiba 46H84 but I have not actually seen one of those yet. My budget is up to $3000 but I would prefer to spend less than that.

In addition to general advice I have some specific questions:

1. What is the difference between the Toshiba H and HX models?
    2. Why are some of you down on direct view crt's? They seem to give a better picture at a lower cost...
    3. Why do the plasma tv's always look so much better than anything else in the stores and can I achieve that same look (glossy, wet, I don't know what to call it) with other presumably better technologies? Am I being cynical to assume that the stores have deliberately adjusted the sets to make the plasmas look the best?

Thanks,

Rich

Forum Regular

I don't know. sorry.

2. Why are some of you down on direct view crt's? They seem to give a better picture at a lower cost...

Well fisrt off I would like to preface by advising against Sonys as would many here. Working at an electronics store on weekends I see MANY Sony's, especially tubes like the one you're looking at (hs420), come in for repair. Not many will dispute the image quality, but bang for your buck and ease of repair are terrble for tube TV's.

3. Why do the plasma tv's always look so much better than anything else in the stores and can I achieve that same look (glossy, wet, I don't know what to call it) with other presumably better technologies? Am I being cynical to assume that the stores have deliberately adjusted the sets to make the plasmas look the best?

Stores push the newer more expensive technologies. They ignore the older sets to steer you towards spending more money on the newere plasmas and DLPs. Properly calibrated, my Mitsubishi 48inch CRT RPTV has a stunning picture. In the store from which it came, it was situated next to a DLP that had a much better picture. Once home, I calibrated it and I am willing to bet it would blow away the TV next to it in the store. I don't think you're cynical at all.

And at 11 feet from the screen man your eyes must be awesome to see a 27 inch. Either that or you squint like crazy. My advice, go big: CRT RPTV and you can easily spend under 3 grand.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hi from Edmonton up here in Canada.
    Good to see a post like this, as I too am replacing my 27" Trinitron and want to move up to some sort of HDTV widescreen. I have been shopping and researching for about a month now and the more I read and shop, the more overwhelmed that I become. Paying out 2 or 3 thousand dollars on entertainment is a lot to fork out on technology that seems to be evolving at a rapid pace. Before buying I want to be absolutly sure of my purchase and be happy with the results after. My only advice before buying is to read everything you can, become a little knowledgeble so that the salespersons cannot try to con you into what he wants to sell and take your time. Prices seem to be falling so time is definitly on the side of the buyer.
    To quickly summarize some of the things I kind of understand:
    1. If you dont want or can't afford a projector, then go with a CRT based unit. (Either RPTV or regular style).
    2. Top three rated manufacturers are Hitachi, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi.
    3. With CRT units smaller is better (more clear).
    4. Calibrate any product you buy.
    5. Some LCD seem to suffer from "rainbow effects".
    6. Avoid RCA and Sony products.
    7. Read anything Woodman has to say.

Question Why Not Sony?

What is wrong with Sony TV's.
    I have a 57" HD WS and it is a great piece of equipment and picture is fantastic.

AR Newbie Registered Member

What's wrong with sony' tv's

I have no idea whats wrong with Sony. I have a Sony Trinitron still going strong. However i had a Sony reciever which gave up after just one little party.
    I really am not qualified to say whats wrong with sony, however after much reading of this forum, it seems to be a general consensus of many posters that Sony is not the reliable electronics producer that it once was. For details see the various reviews of Sony equipment. They tend to score less than Toshiba and Hitachi. The reason I said maybe avoid Sony is that you MAY be taking a chance buying one and spending 2 to 3 thousand dollars and gambling that kind of money is different than spending 4 or 5 hundred dollars and not being satisfied. When in doubt why not just take the opinion of the MAJORITY of posters (and the regular posters seem to be a very knowledgble group of Audiophiles) and stay away from this line.
    Having said that many people have bought Sony and been very satisfied with it. I guess it comes down to saying to the salesperson "I'll take it" and walking out the store with the confidence and security that the 2000 dollars you just spent was well spent.

Just an opinion thats all

Mike

Forum Regular
    Believe it or not I was in walmart of all places. They had a 46" Pioneer that looked absolutely fantastic and the price was a little less than $1600. Its projection, but the picture was superb. Especially for the price.

Forum Regular
    Does anyone still make a decent 42 inch rptv? If not I think the Toshiba 34H84 is going to be the choice simply because of it's narrow width. Easier to hide in a piece of furniture.

Since I think no one has answered this first one yet, I guess I can to some degree. The HX is usually only sold in boutique stores (no internet sales), and features a few extra goodies that make the picture look a bit better... I used to own the 51 inch HX HDTV widescreen model... I can't say that I can recommend them though... I thought the picture was good, but not great, and then I burned in the screen (and I did not leave the set on or anything like that). It only took 5-6 months before the set was only marginally useful. Now I have given up on CRT RPTVs altogether (because of burn-in, not picture quality).

Many other people have liked the Toshiba's picture, so I could just be picky... I suggest you go with what your eyes tell you to buy.

---Dave

Thread Information