Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

My Sony VHS does not go past 2008

It took me a few minutes to figure out why the VHS did not record a programmed show. Checked the clock and it was fine. When I looked at the date it was 1973. I went about setting it to the correct date and scrolled thru the years...2006...2007...2008...1973...WTF? I did find a year where the day and date was the same for now.

Anyone else hit the Y2K009 bug? What do you think Sony will do about it? I'm going to contact them next.

Suspended
    No offense Hyfi, but this situation is kinda humorous. You KNOW what pixie's going to say right?

The only Sony product I own is a PS3, so that's not a problem, but I'd sure be interested to read what Sony has to say after you've contacted them. Good luck.

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

i think i already know what theyre gonna say

i am sure you can also guess. well, its good for archiving music on hifi. and playback of what you already have. no more programming.

sorry.
    ...regards...tr

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Proof positive of planned obsolescence, eh...fairly generous though.

I once ran out of beads on my abacus figuring out the tip at Elmo's, so I'm feelin' yer pain.

BTW, have you checked out that new Stanley Jordan yet?
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

What's a VHS and why do you have one?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Abstentia
    What's a VHS and why do you have one?
    I have 3 VHS machines as well as a Sony Beta HiFi. I use the VHS to record shows. Until I can get a reasonably priced, decent, Hard Drive Recorder that works just like a VCR, I will continue to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    I have 3 VHS machines as well as a Sony Beta HiFi. I use the VHS to record shows. Until I can get a reasonably priced, decent, Hard Drive Recorder that works just like a VCR, I will continue to use them.
    I have three DVR's that cost much less than my old VCR's did, and they work WAAAY better!

I have three DVR's that cost much less than my old VCR's did, and they work WAAAY better!

What DVR does what a VCR can do and costs less than a VCR?

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    Any DVR can do what a VCR does (except play videotapes) and I get mine free from DirecTV

You can even get a $50 software that turns your PC into a DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyfi
    Anyone else hit the Y2K009 bug? What do you think Sony will do about it? I'm going to contact them next.
    Interesting dilemma. I checked my trusty Panasonic and found it was good until '14. I suspect that most units do not have a mechanism for eprom upgrades to address the issue.

rw

And I'm just curious..other than play a videotape (which most certainly should have been dubbed to DVD anyway), what can a VCR do that a DVR can't?

And I'm just curious..other than play a videotape (which most certainly should have been dubbed to DVD anyway), what can a VCR do that a DVR can't?
    Play all the commercial VHS movies that cannot be copied via DVD recorder due to copy protection.

rw

A VCR can work without any sort of subscription to any service at all and has unlimited permanent storage.

Any DVR can do what a VCR does (except play videotapes) and I get mine free from DirecTV

You can even get a $50 software that turns your PC into a DVR.
    $50 for software, plus the cost of a PC and the cost of a TV tuner card is more than the cost of a VCR. In fact, it's more than the cost of several VCR's.

Charm Thai™
    I have a Sony SLV-799H and I do not have the same problem. I just checked now and i can set the date/time all the way past 2055. I use it regularly to tape sporting events and most of the movies i like aren't on dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Play all the commercial VHS movies that cannot be copied via DVD recorder due to copy protection.

rw
    A cheap macrovision buster will fix that...or just spend the $5 and buy the DVD version of the movie....or just copy the DVD for free!

A VCR can work without any sort of subscription to any service at all and has unlimited permanent storage.
    A DVR does not require a subscription, and storage is only limited by your hard drive. A VHS tape holds only 2 hours.

$50 for software, plus the cost of a PC and the cost of a TV tuner card is more than the cost of a VCR. In fact, it's more than the cost of several VCR's.
    I'm assuming most folks already have a PC here (since you're typing on one now!) and most tuner cards are around $40 and come with the basic software.

Anything else?

I'm assuming most folks already have a PC here (since you're typing on one now!) and most tuner cards are around $40 and come with the basic software.

Of course there are various ways to do similar things, but I really would like to have a digital machine that operates just like a VCR. I just don't know of one. I have a PC, a TV tuner card, and Windows Media Center (comes with Vista). It isn't doing what a VCR does, though. I would still like a digital machine that could just sit there attached to the TV and turn itself on, record an over-the-air show and shut itself off. And the VCR's limit isn't 2 hours. It's 6 per tape. And I could buy an unlimited number of tapes.

Anything else?
    Really? Are you kidding?

I don't want to continue hijacking this thread, so I'll sit this one out from here.

I would still like a digital machine that could just sit there attached to the TV and turn itself on, record an over-the-air show and shut itself off.

I'm nearly positive that any DVR will do that. Mine does I know..but I don't shut it on/off, it just stays on. All I have to do it tell it what show to record and it's done. I can also tell it a time frame to record.

Welp...

My Time Warner DVR/Cable box has an option to "record program to VCR" but it's of course NOT High Def. But I've still a VCR in the basement, maybe oneday I'll pull her out and go from there.

Da Worfster

Suspended
    I'm nearly positive that any DVR will do that. Mine does I know..but I don't shut it on/off, it just stays on. All I have to do it tell it what show to record and it's done. I can also tell it a time frame to record.

First of all, your DVR was not free or $50. You continue to pay for your direct tv which in turn pays for the DVR. The DVR you have will not work without the Direct-TV service the same as the ones from any cable provider.

I have several PCs but do not wish to leave one running all the time to record a weekly show. The old crappy Tivo will work without a service but the new HD Tivo will ONLY work with a paid TV service.

There have been a few standalone DVRs and I am assuming more to come. There should be no reason a DVR can't be produced and sold to work for OTA with manual programming. All they need to do is replace the tape with a hard drive.

I appreciate all your input but none of it was helpful for my problem.

If you can point all of us to a DVR that works just like a VCR and does not need a paid service to operate, by all means clue us in. I don't have cable, direct tv or fios and plan to stay that way until there is no more OTA tv. I am aware of two on the market now and one coming in the spring.

How about you?

I have a JVC DR-MX1 Hard Drive/DVD/VHS. It does everything you are asking for without a subscription. Pricing was a little high and I'm not even sure if it's still available.

Sorry, couldn't find anymore info.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information