Forum Regular

How much room can a sub/sat system handle?

Hi all,

Moved to a new house and left my old sub/sat system (on purpose). It was an Infinity package system, pretty entry level. Looking to move up a bit in my new home. The room is medium to large: 18x15. I have a 65" Mits HDTV in there which helps take up some of the room. Now looking to put a surround system in, and the wife likes the less intrusive sub/sat systems. Are there any that can handle this big a room?

I know there are some hard core enthusiasts who will want to know my budget. Lets say $1000-$1200.

Thanks!

Forum Regular
    Easy enough. Your room is 18 x 15 x 8 equaling 2,160 cubic feet. Any openings into other rooms, hallways, etc.? If so, how big are they? For small speakers, look at the HSU Ventriloquist. Goes for $311 delivered or $211 delivered if you order a HSU sub with it. "Only $199 When Ordered with a HSU Subwoofer. Discount Displayed When Both Items Are In the Cart." This brings us to the sub. Assuming your thirst for quality bass knows no end, the HSU VTF-3R, R standing for Rosewood, goes for $1,035 delivered. However, that sub is overkill for your room. The VTF-2 would be much better suited for it and goes for $449. This gives you an excellent entry level system for $660 delivered.You'll be happy because you can feel the explosions and she'll be happy because the speakers are small.

What if they are too small? Well, how does the Rocket ELT system strike you? It goes for $899 or $999 plus shipping and includes a sub.

What about something dramatically different? The nOrh 4.0 video system comes in at $850 delivered and is available in either ceramic or wood. Add to that a SVS PB1-Plus for $1,099 delivered - extreme overkill for the room - and you have a stellar HT system for $1,949.

Those are just three of the massive array of options out there.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Easy enough. Your room is 18 x 15 x 8 equaling 2,160 cubic feet. Any openings into other rooms, hallways, etc.? If so, how big are they? For small speakers, look at the HSU Ventriloquist. Goes for $311 delivered or $211 delivered if you order a HSU sub with it. "Only $199 When Ordered with a HSU Subwoofer. Discount Displayed When Both Items Are In the Cart." This brings us to the sub. Assuming your thirst for quality bass knows no end, the HSU VTF-3R, R standing for Rosewood, goes for $1,035 delivered. However, that sub is overkill for your room. The VTF-2 would be much better suited for it and goes for $449. This gives you an excellent entry level system for $660 delivered.You'll be happy because you can feel the explosions and she'll be happy because the speakers are small.

What if they are too small? Well, how does the Rocket ELT system strike you? It goes for $899 or $999 plus shipping and includes a sub.

What about something dramatically different? The nOrh 4.0 video system comes in at $850 delivered and is available in either ceramic or wood. Add to that a SVS PB1-Plus for $1,099 delivered - extreme overkill for the room - and you have a stellar HT system for $1,949.

Those are just three of the massive array of options out there.

The ceiling is 10', so I actually have 2700 sq.ft. Yes there is an open wall. The room is a 3 sided room with the TV opposite the open wall. The open wall opens to the kitchen.

"What if they are too small"

That's the whole point of this post. I don't want to buy something and live to regret it.

Only $199 for a 5 speaker system(HSU Ventriloquist)? I appreciate the recommendation, but have minimal confidence I'd be getting a good set of speakers at that price! Are there any reviews of them anywhere?

Thanks again!

Forum Regular
    If they're too small?
    Here is where I meant physical size for you, not their capability of filling the room with sound.

For reviews:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...-12-stf-2.html

http://www.shows.soundstagelive.com/...dout_hsu.shtml

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...=ventriloquist

As they are fairly new to the scene do not expect many reviews as of yet but know there will be more within the near future.

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPurple
    Hi all,

Moved to a new house and left my old sub/sat system (on purpose). It was an Infinity package system, pretty entry level. Looking to move up a bit in my new home. The room is medium to large: 18x15. I have a 65" Mits HDTV in there which helps take up some of the room. Now looking to put a surround system in, and the wife likes the less intrusive sub/sat systems. Are there any that can handle this big a room?

I know there are some hard core enthusiasts who will want to know my budget. Lets say $1000-$1200.

Thanks!
    $450 Hsu VTF-2 is big enough for your room unless you play at deafening level. The logical proportion to spend for other speakers is about $350 for a pair of bookshelf speakers for fronts and $250 for the matching center speaker (with fronts). Get $150 pair of bookshelf speakers from the same brand for surround. As for brands, there are many to chose from; Paradigm, Polk, Infinity, JBL, Ascend Acoustics, etc. Good luck.

Thread Information