multi room control

Im tying to set up a multi room system, i want speakers in my main living room, bedroom, kitchen, garage, and office. Is there a way to have them all connected to my main preamp and amp, and able to have contol over volume song ect. any suggestions would help.
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    My first thought is run really long speaker wire, and use a speaker selector switch.

My second thought is get a bunch of vintage systems for each room of the house.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

My paln is to just ru nwires, but is there a way to get say a remote that would work in any room that will control the main unit?

Forum Regular
    We will need more information to help you out. What are you using for your amp/equipment in your main listening area? For example, do you have 7.1 receiver where you use 5.1 for your home theater, and are reassigning the remaining 2 channels for the other rooms? Or do you intending a setup like this:

http://www.htd.com/totalcontrol.html

As far as remotes go, you will need an RF universal remote, rather than an IR to be able to control your equipment from other rooms.

Hope this helps.

Hey Philly Guy that is exaclt what im trying to get done, as for equipment im using

Rotel - RMB-1075 5 channel amp
    - RC-1070 preamp

and im looking into the escient fireball as well.

Forum Regular
    Icarus,

Not sure exactly how you are going to accomplish what you are trying to do. First, you have a stereo preamp and a 5 channel amp. Are you going to split the stereo (2 channel) out from your preamp into 5 channels into the amp? Not sure how you will accomplish that. Second, with a 5 channel amp, you will only have a mono signal going to each room. Is this what you intend? The amp you are using is really meant for an HT application, not whole house amplification.

To do what I think you want, you really need a whole house amp, with 10 channels minimum. That way you can have 2 channels (stereo) in each room. A whole house amp will split a stereo signal (from a cd player, say) into 5 pairs of speaker outs, if it is a 10 channel amp.
    Refer to the previous link to see what I mean. I hope this helps.

Phillyguy

Thanks for the tip phillyguy, ill have look into a whole house amp.

Forum Regular
    thanks

Forum Regular
    quick answer:
    Bose lifestyle 38, simple-easy operations via remote control, no fireball needed, expensive,questionable sound quality from the supplied speakers but other zones could be any speakers

icarus.
    You could use the multi-room output from your receiver to feed into a NUVO control box. This will give you multi-room sound with individual remote control of source and volume in each room? You may wish to add another CD, tape or sound source to this box as well.
    checkout the NUVO site... http://www.nuvotechnologies.com/
    If you wish one source to play in every room(hall, bath, bed, etc) then a maybe a QUEST box or similar impedance matching unit may be more cost effective. You can have wall mounted controls in every location for the volume. QUEST is located @ ...http://www.questhifi.com/accessories...hers/home.html
    nascar03

Thread Information