Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best HDTV of the year

Televisioninfo.com web site which evaluate HDTVs regularly have chosen their HDTV pick of the year for 2010.

For 50 inch and higher they pick:

Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 – $3,599.99
    The Sony Bravia XBR-52HX909 is just a really well-rounded HDTV. It got some impressive results on our performance tests, such as a high contrast ratio and accurate color performance. The TV can also do 3D, but it wasn't particularly great in that regard.

Runner up – Vizio XVT553SV – $1749.99
    The TV really didn't have any downsides, but the XBR-52HX909 had better online features and 3D capability. If you don't mind missing out on those features, though, the XVT553SV is a much more affordable purchase.

For 40 inch and above:

Samsung UN46C7100 – $1599.99
    Our pick for TV of the Year has to excel in a lot of different ways. It has to have a great picture, an interesting feature set, and not be grossly overpriced for what it offers.

Runner up – Panasonic TC-P42GT25 – $1429.99
    The Panasonic TC-P42GT25 was another great all-around 3D HDTV. While it's 3D performance was much better than what we saw on the UN46C7100, it's overall picture quality wasn't quite as good and Panasonic's online content is slightly lacking compared to Samsung's.

Runner up – Samsung LN40C630 – $697.99
    The Samsung LN40C630 has everything you'd want: great picture quality, an extensive line-up of online content, and a relatively low price given its size and feature set. The TV's only real downside: its dynamic backlight can't be completely shut off.

In 32 inch range:

Sony KDL-32EX700 – $699.88
    This TV gives you a very deep black level, a high overall contrast ratio, great color accuracy, and allows you to connect to the best selection of online content currently being offered.

Runner up- Vizio E320VL – $357.99
    The Vizio E320VL is the best value out of any HDTVs we've reviewed this year. Sure, it didn't have the best picture quality, and it wasn't even the least expensive. It did, however, offer the best picture quality for its price.

Runner up – LG 32LD350 – $407.99
    The 32LD350 has all the same benefits as the E320VL, only it costs just a bit more for a small jump in quality.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...om-Selects.htm

Charm Thai™
    Got my first HDTV recently I was very overwhelmed when researching. I am not expert in this area by any means and the more I looked the more I realized I had to make compromises. Buying a middle of the road tv set meant i had to prioritize what features meant most to me and I found myself relying heavily on reviews which is something I rarely do for audio equipment. I remember reading very good things about the Vizio XVT553SV.

Cool

Glad to see Vizio drew some blood in these picks, exelent TV for the price.
    Thats why they sell so many of them.
    BTW Smoke, which TV did you say you finally bought? Buying an interim set right now
    is a good strategy what with so much shaking out in tech going on..
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by TheHills44060
    Got my first HDTV recently I was very overwhelmed when researching.
    Other than user's reviews, it is really hard to find professional reviews of run-of-mill TVs. Most of them tend to review higher end TVs, or niche new TV's gadget.

AVSForum is also pretty good, but some of the members think too much of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    BTW Smoke, which TV did you say you finally bought?
    Haven't said it yet. I'm waiting for the new format

Glad to see Samsung win top honors in the size of tv that mine is. In fact My Led is an earlier model of that exact television. I am a big fan of Samsung tv's and seeing that they were a small electronics and phone systems manufacturer in the 90's and came up to where they are now. I did a lot of searching and homework before I purchased mine and your ratings just back up my choice.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    Other than user's reviews, it is really hard to find professional reviews of run-of-mill TVs. Most of them tend to review higher end TVs, or niche new TV's gadget.

AVSForum is also pretty good, but some of the members think too much of themselves.

Haven't said it yet. I'm waiting for the new format
    I always wondered who that guy was who waited until 1989 to buy a color TV, waiting for
    them to "iron out the kinks".
    Glad to finally meet him.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    I am from Portugal, and am hard pressed to find LED and LCD that in my humble opinion can beat the Philips offerings. It seems that Philips came a bit late to the 1080 Full HD panels and again to the 3D parties, but their products when they finally hit the shelves are stunning. OK, they are pricey, and have a full LED backlight as well as cheaper edge lit LED panels. But to my amazement, have released the 3D capable TV with a matte-screen!!! Oh yes, the price too seems over the top with a whopping 1000 Euro ( 1400 USD ) difference in price compared to their other competitors in the respectable size and functionality of 3D TV. So, what do you get for paying the extra dollars, you ask ? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind... 0.5ms response time ( the fastest panel ), Perfect everything software ( Perfect Pixel, Perfect Motion....), Full LED backlight, AMBILIGHT and Matte-screen ( extremely low reflection screen compared to glass panel like reflection screens from the competition ). And to top it all off, the EISA award for best TV.
    All said, I am NOT parting with my cash until they bring the price down to realistic levels AND considering the fact that there is not a proper 3D review of the TV. Anybody who knows better, please point me to the respective sites, THANK YOU!

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasir
    I am from Portugal, and am hard pressed to find LED and LCD that in my humble opinion can beat the Philips offerings. It seems that Philips came a bit late to the 1080 Full HD panels and again to the 3D parties, but their products when they finally hit the shelves are stunning. OK, they are pricey, and have a full LED backlight as well as cheaper edge lit LED panels. But to my amazement, have released the 3D capable TV with a matte-screen!!! Oh yes, the price too seems over the top with a whopping 1000 Euro ( 1400 USD ) difference in price compared to their other competitors in the respectable size and functionality of 3D TV. So, what do you get for paying the extra dollars, you ask ? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind... 0.5ms response time ( the fastest panel ), Perfect everything software ( Perfect Pixel, Perfect Motion....), Full LED backlight, AMBILIGHT and Matte-screen ( extremely low reflection screen compared to glass panel like reflection screens from the competition ). And to top it all off, the EISA award for best TV.
    All said, I am NOT parting with my cash until they bring the price down to realistic levels AND considering the fact that there is not a proper 3D review of the TV. Anybody who knows better, please point me to the respective sites, THANK YOU!
    Let's bring a little reality here. No consumer LCD panel has a .5ms response time....ZERO. So lets get that market bs out of the equation. There is only two LCD panels on the market that have less than 1ms response time(actually verified, not marketing propaganda) and those are Sony professional panels that costs more than $40,000.

Pixel perfect and perfect motion are not actual descriptions of the processing, just names. They are in no way perfect, as is none of the processing on any consumer television is.

The Philips brand is quite frankly a second tier brand, in the same vein as LG and Sharp. It is not a first tier brand like Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Let's bring a little reality here. No consumer LCD panel has a .5ms response time....ZERO. So lets get that market bs out of the equation. There is only two LCD panels on the market that have less than 1ms response time(actually verified, not marketing propaganda) and those are Sony professional panels that costs more than $40,000.

Pixel perfect and perfect motion are not actual descriptions of the processing, just names. They are in no way perfect, as is none of the processing on any consumer television is.

The Philips brand is quite frankly a second tier brand, in the same vein as LG and Sharp. It is not a first tier brand like Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic.
    LG and Sharp are hardly "second tier brands", although I was wondering how long after I BOUGHT an LG that it would take for you to slam the brand.
    As for PHILLIPS, a friend who bought one was so impressed that he actually considered
    trading it out with his main set (a Samsung), in his living room. I was less so , but
    it is still an outstanding set for the price(a tad above Vizio).
    L.G, however, has more accurate color. Of course, no panel is going to beat your
    antique CRT p,o.s.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

LG and Sharp are hardly "second tier brands", although I was wondering how long after I BOUGHT an LG that it would take for you to slam the brand.
    As for PHILLIPS, a friend who bought one was so impressed that he actually considered
    trading it out with his main set (a Samsung), in his living room. I was less so , but
    it is still an outstanding set for the price(a tad above Vizio).
    L.G, however, has more accurate color. Of course, no panel is going to beat your
    antique CRT p,o.s.
    Maybe to your low standards LG and Sharp aren't second tier brands. You are not performance oriented, you are budget oriented. When you start talking about actual performance, LG and Sharp are not in the same class as Samsung, Sony and Panasonic. LG and Sharp do not even rise to the performance of Pioneers Kuro's brand, and they have been off the market for two years now.

Who gives a damn that you bought a LG? I don't really think I slammed the brand, I gave it an honest accessment as it stands up to the competition performance wise. Do you really think I slammed it because you bought it?

I think you are overstating your influence here...I have dismissed your taste in everything from audio to video based on your over simplistic and often incorrect evaluations you have posted here. It is clear to me(and many others here) that you know so little about either, that you opinions can be so quickly dismissed, that you don't remember them a millisecond after they are posted.

Garbage in, garbage out, that is the best assessment that I can give your opinions.

And you are right, no POS panel will outperform my POS CRT. And a second tier POS panel will not even come close.

Have a great day Pixie!
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Hey sir TT

Philips brand [USA] can be called second tier since it exist only in name, but can Sharp and LG be called that too. What is the meaning of second tier anyway?

Of course, no panel is going to beat your antique CRT p,o.s.
    Hey, watch it!

I'm still watching antique CRT

Forum Regular
    I'm just about to move on from my antique CRT HDTV myself.

I'm not sure the "tier" thing is totally clear but Samsung and Sony are much larger companies. One could argue, though, that Sharp makes their own panels while Sony does not. I think they all have their hits and misses.
    Tim Evans
    East Street Audio
    Onix, Melody, & ACA

Hey sir TT

Philips brand [USA] can be called second tier since it exist only in name, but can Sharp and LG be called that too. What is the meaning of second tier anyway?
    Smoke, it is not in the name, it is in the performance of the panel and processing that determines which tier you are in.

While it has been firmly established that only about 5 manufacturers make panels for everyone(both LCD and Plasma's), those panels are not of the same quality construction, or use the same parts for that matter. When Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic orders panels from these OEM manufacturers, they order panels with specific tolerances(usually custom manufactured in large quantities) with high quality parts, that are to be used with the highest quality processing which these top tier CE companies design themselves. In other words, there is a synergistic marriage of the panel and the processing that is determined in the design phase all the way through manufacture. This is why their panels always are always the top performing LCD and Plasma panels on the market.

The second and third tier manufacturers take a different approach. The just purchase the basic OEM panel, and design their processing to work with that panel that usually consists of cheaper parts, and manufacture with less emphasis on the tolerance levels of the parts and panels. Most second and third tier manufacturers do not have design teams, manufacturing facilities, or in house customer service centers. That means reliability of the panel(from sample to sample, and lot to lot) is often less consistent, and getting them fixed after they break down is more of a hassle, if existent at all. Vizio, Westinghouse, Insignia, Apex, Coby all fall into the latter. The second tier CE companies may offer better customer service, and a more reliable panel overall than the third tier, but panel performance is noticeably less than the first tier CE companies.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    I wonder if Sir T is referring to the Portuguese market as the relatively new poster he slammed is from Portugal.

Sir T, your knowledge is invaluable and I always read your posts on topics and products I'm interested in but it might be time for an intervention with regard to your dream-quashing lack of diplomacy. I'm sure many here (and I don't mean Pix, he's in a category unto himself) can share stories of how you hurt them and quashed their dreams of owning the best tv, blu-ray player, etc. or their dreams of even understanding what the hell we're talking about here. But I've never participated in an intervention or watched one on tv so I don't know how to get it started.

BTW, thanks again Smoke. That 40" Samsung for $697 looks like a good replacement for the pos crt in my bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by woofersus
    I'm not sure the "tier" thing is totally clear but Samsung and Sony are much larger companies. One could argue, though, that Sharp makes their own panels while Sony does not. I think they all have their hits and misses.
    If we go to oversea TV market [whole Asia], the "tier" picture become even less clear as LG have locked up market for the mid to lower end market for TVs. But of course price proceed the performance in that market.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir TT
    The second tier CE companies may offer better customer service, and a more reliable panel overall than the third tier, but panel performance is noticeably less than the first tier CE companies.
    I would say that is a fair statement since we can't go by price difference as sometimes there is none. Sometimes second tiers are more expensive

But LG seem to make some headway as their TV was first in USA to receive THX Display Certification (correct gamma, luminance, and color temperature).
    Last edited by Smokey; 12-09-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    BTW, thanks again Smoke. That 40" Samsung for $697 looks like a good replacement for the pos crt in my bedroom.
    If it is for bedroom, you may also want to check out Samsung new 40 inch LCD LN40C500 for $500. Very short on inputs though.

I wonder if Sir T is referring to the Portuguese market as the relatively new poster he slammed is from Portugal.
    Dean, Nasir is not new to the HT forum, we have interacted before.

Sir T, your knowledge is invaluable and I always read your posts on topics and products I'm interested in but it might be time for an intervention with regard to your dream-quashing lack of diplomacy. I'm sure many here (and I don't mean Pix, he's in a category unto himself) can share stories of how you hurt them and quashed their dreams of owning the best tv, blu-ray player, etc. or their dreams of even understanding what the hell we're talking about here. But I've never participated in an intervention or watched one on tv so I don't know how to get it started.
    Maybe you should not start at all. Telling somebody the truth is not a slamming, it is just plain telling the truth. Candy coating is not going to make the truth easier to swallow, or magically make it easier to understand. If the truth squashes your dreams of owning the best(rather than making it easier to distinguish what is best), then your feelings are more important than good information.

I have learned to accept everyone's way of delivering information, even Pixes. With that said, others will just have to accept my way of delivering information, or you don't have to read it. I have never asked anyone to change the way they deliver valid and accurate information(except Pix, because his information is neither), so I expect no one to ask me to change mine. I have been on this site since 1996, and I have not been any different than as I am now. In the great words of song writers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, "If you don't know me by now, you will never never know me". Dean, you should know me by now.

I leave diplomacy for politicians, it has very little value on A/V forums where folks usually say just about anything, rather than sticking to the facts.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by woofersus
    I'm just about to move on from my antique CRT HDTV myself.

I hope this does not squash your dreams of owning a better set. The devil is in the details with this one. Yes Sharp makes their own panels, but their panels are not of the quality that Sony would want to buy for their higher end lines. Samsung makes Sony panels for the mid and lower end lines, and they make their own panels for their higher end and professional models. In saying that, Sony invested big time into a joint venture with Sharp to provide panels for their Bravia line of sets 50" and over. Panasonic makes their own LCD and Plasma panels. LG makes Vizio LCD panels, and their plasma panels are Panasonic seconds(or rejects however you want to describe it).

The fact that Sony and Samsung are number one and two on just about every display test speaks to the excellence of their panel quality and manufacture. With Panasonic making their own, they can control all aspects of quality and consistency which is why their Plasma panels are the best on the market. Sony had to invest almost 1 billion dollars(along with Sharp) to build a new plant for the manufacture of their Bravia line, as Sharps current manufacturing facilities could not produce panels in the quality, and quantity that Sony needed.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I would say that is a fair statement since we can't go by price difference as sometimes there is none. Sometimes second tiers are more expensive
    Thats true!

But LG seem to make some headway as their TV was first in USA to receive THX Display Certification (correct gamma, luminance, and color temperature).
    After the Lexicon debacle with the Bluray player just being an exactly clone of an Oppo with a THX badge slapped on it(it didn't even have the right crossover points), I am less inclined to give the THX badge any credence whatsoever.

I think the proper words would be" at least they PAID for the THX badge".

Gotta keep it real here......
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Dean, Nasir is not new to the HT forum, we have interacted before.

Maybe you should not start at all. Telling somebody the truth is not a slamming, it is just plain telling the truth. Candy coating is not going to make the truth easier to swallow, or magically make it easier to understand. If the truth squashes your dreams of owning the best(rather than making it easier to distinguish what is best), then your feelings are more important than good information.

I have learned to accept everyone's way of delivering information, even Pixes. With that said, others will just have to accept my way of delivering information, or you don't have to read it. I have never asked anyone to change the way they deliver valid and accurate information(except Pix, because his information is neither), so I expect no one to ask me to change mine. I have been on this site since 1996, and I have not been any different than as I am now. In the great words of song writers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, "If you don't know me by now, you will never never know me". Dean, you should know me by now.

I leave diplomacy for politicians, it has very little value on A/V forums where folks usually say just about anything, rather than sticking to the facts.
    Touche'. Carry on, Sir. My imagination got the best of me. I could see the enthusiasm for the Philips tv suddenly turn into gut-wrenching dispair.

Touche'. Carry on, Sir. My imagination got the best of me. I could see the enthusiasm for the Philips tv suddenly turn into gut-wrenching dispair.
    LOL

I didn't want to ruin his impression of the set, just give a little reality to dispel their marketing hype(perfect motion???).
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Angry

YOU SEE...this is the problem.
    Everytime this blowhard posts another of his idiotic posts with a bunch of thrown
    together "facts" googled from the net, you just have to say how "valuable"
    his posts are, when in fact he didnt post anythingf of real knowledge that can be proved at all.
    ARE Sharp and LG panels "second rate"? HAS THIS BEEN PROVED?
    Of course not, and it can't, its just this sad delusional ill tempered old fart taking
    out his frustrations about life on the rest of us.
    AND OF COURSE you have to say how "valuable" his nonsense gobldegook crap
    is.
    HAVE YOU EVER HEARD about not encouraging such anti-social bad behavior?
    HOW ABOUT calling him on his "facts". How about asking him where he got such "facts"
    from?
    HE USED TO SLAM VIZIO, one of the most popular brands in the country , just because I OWNED ONE...and now that I own one of the better brands , he starts slamming that
    one, if I BOUGHT one of his POS KUROS, he would slam that one.
    WHICH IS WHY I no longer respond to any of his idiotic posts full of made up garbage,
    why encourage bad behavior? THATS WHAT HE WANTS.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

If you let this troll get into your head you deserve what you get.
    I have heard nothing but good things about PHILLIPS, its certainly not the best thats out there,
    but it is a fine TV. Dont let an ill tempered old troll get to you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

I was referring more to tone than content, Pix. And, I was needling him a little bit. Slow week which is not good this time of year. It was someone else who was interested in the Phillips TV, not me. I butted in and commented on his tone.

I do most of my own research. It just so happens that if Sir T has commented on a topic or product or process in which I'm interested, I take it into account. It's not the last word but I consider it. Reasonable, don't you think?

HE USED TO SLAM VIZIO, one of the most popular brands in the country , just because I OWNED ONE...and now that I own one of the better brands , he starts slamming that.
    Heheheh.... I see Sir TT getting to you

If you enjoy your TV, that is all that matters.
    Last edited by Smokey; 12-10-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information