Forum Regular

multiple video DACS

i am looking at a new dvd player.the new cambridge audio azur series,
    one question i have is this:it lists 6 12/54 video dacs.i am looking for a
    proper explanation of why this is desireable.i have a good cd player,so video quality is my main concern with this unit.

thanks

Forum Regular
    Do you have an excessive amount of money to burn? If the answer is no, then IMO, you're looking at an overpriced product pretending to be something spectacular, when in fact it's nothing of the sort!

Higher (than what's actually needed) sampling rates and bit lengths do such a minuscule job at improving performance, that it really amounts to nothing more than a scam, based upon primarily "techno-babble". Digital video is encoded using 10-bit "words". Doing a D - to - A conversion using more than 10 bits will yield no more information - it could only reduce possible errors, which is redundant since all DACs contain error correction circuitry to deal with any "mistakes" in the conversion process. Likewise, higher "sampling rates" or wider bandwidth will also do virtually nothing to make better picture quality. Zero, Zip, Nada, Zilch

Someone else might show up here and try to contradict what I'm telling you, but they simply have been snookered into believing in a fairy tale. If you're just looking to get superb picture quality, there are many, many models out there from many mfgs. that will give you that ... no need to go to an esoteric brand and spend 3,5,10 times as much for a "gain" of less than 1%.

Hope this helps you
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Here it comes :)

Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    Digital video is encoded using 10-bit "words".

Someone else might show up here and try to contradict what I'm telling you,
    Actually, DVD video is encoded in 8-bit words. C'mon man, you of all people should know that

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Slosh
    Actually, DVD video is encoded in 8-bit words. C'mon man, you of all people should know that
    C'mon Slosh ... don't be raggin' on the old fart here. Of course DVDs are encoded with 8-bit words, but DVDs are not the end-all, be-all of digital video. There's also digital television broadcasting, which - when HiDef programming is involved - uses 10--bit word length encoding. I was merely trying to give the more is better and the you can never have too much crowd the benefit of whatever doubt there could be.
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Forum Regular
    thanks for the info guys.
    anyone have any ideas,i am looking for a good quality dvd player,well built with with quality components with,most importantly,great video performance.i have a good cd player so that
    is not an issue.any suggestions would be appreciated.
    thanks

Thread Information