AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking for AV Receiver on a budget

Hello All-

I picked up my HSU STF-2 and Ventriloquist VT-12s (http://www.hsuresearch.com) yesterday and am VERY excited to get them hooked up in my new place! (I had a VTF-2 that I reluctantly had to sell when moving and am excited to get another HSU)
    I was wondering what receiver would best match to this sound system that's also a good deal.
    I have bought primarily HK's in the past, but am open to Marantz, Onkyo, and Denon's or others. (Right now I'm looking at the HK 325, 525, Marantz 5200, 5300, 6300, Onkyo 501, 601, and Denon 1803, 1804...I'm sure there are tons others that I haven't considered)
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    It's a 14' x 15' room all hardwoods, connected to a 50" Sony LCD tv, and the system will be close to the tv.
    I'm looking to spend less than $500...obviously looking for the most bang for the buck! 5.1 at least, but wouldn't mind higher as the VT-12s
    come with 5 satellites and a center.

Thanks for any help!

Forum Regular

Wink

I know you said under $500 but I thought i'd mention the Sony DA4ES or the DA7ES. Both recievers have been raved about by everyone that has bought them. Plus since they have been discontinued for the coming year models, anyone can afford a flgship model for less than half the price. I bought my 7ES reciever for Hi Fi Buy's for $845. This was a $2300 reciever when it came out. But if Sony isn't you fancy, go into you local high end audio stores regularly. At least once a year they are clearing out thier stock for incoming models. Many times at half the price or less. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Check up on which one of those manufacturers is in the middle of an upgrade cycle right now. I believe that Marantz has most recently updated its midlevel receiver line (the x400 series has not been out very long), so you should be able to negotiate pretty good deals on the x300 models. And if you can find any of Yamaha's RX-V1300 and 2300 models still in dealer inventory, you should be able to negotiate a pretty good deal on those units as well. Good Guys was blowing out their remaining 2300s for $500 a couple of months ago, which is half off.

With receivers, I don't think it's necessary to go with the latest model because the feature sets and format decoding don't change drastically from one year to the next, although the parametric room calibration function that Yamaha added to the new 1400 and 2400 models is potentially a very potent feature, especially in conjunction with a subwoofer.

Forum Regular

Recommendations

From Onkyo TXSR-601 or 701 (~$400 - ~$600 respectivelly)
    From Denon AVR2803 (~$600)
    From HK AVR330, 430, 525 (~$450 - $580 - $580 respectivelly)
    From Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX, 53TX (~$500 - $650 respectivelly)

Best of luck, there are other models and brands not mentioned, I decided to list those I have done some extensive reading on.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for all of your help...I think I'm going to get the HK!

Forum Regular

jbannas or anyone..............

I am in the same boat as jbannas. This is my first H/T purchase. What I have decided or trying to decide is go with either:

H/K 330 = $499.99 or so
    H/K 525 = $575.00
    Marantz SR6300 + Marantz DV4300 DVD = $699.99+49.99 shipping.

Now with the 330 or 525 I would have to purchase a DVD player aswell, pluss the shipping. When I saw the deal with the Marantz I thought it was pretty good. Hopefully you guys can help me out.

jbannas:

Which HK did you get?

Jason
    www.cajun-oil.com

Forum Regular

Hk

I ended up going for the AVR430 because I found a deal that on the web for $579 which was comparable to the 525 going for $574.... so for $5 more I got the "so called" updated version of the 525. Eventhought the 525 does mention having a bit more power, I though the 430 would be a great fit for my purposes. I do have to admit that the Marantz deal sound pretty good. Guess you'd have to test in a store. Best of luck,

Henry

marantz

I vote for the Marantz package, basically because I bought a receiver this year from ac4l.com and it works great and I couldn't be happier. But pretty much all these receivers do the exact same things and will sound very similar if not exactly the same.All of these are good companies and you can't lose, just make sure you buy from an authorized dealer INCASE comething bad happens and it malfunctions or whatever.

-Joey

Forum Regular
    I'd recommend the Marantz SR7000, which you can pick up at Accessories4less for $449 right now. Terrific receiver, very musical and selling for 50% off. Not bad. Terrific reviews as well.

Forum Regular
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. What are the odds of some of these prices going down after Christmas, especially on the older models?

Henry- Can I ask where you found the AVR430 for $579?

Is the Marantz SR7000 a 5.1 or 6.1 system?

Jason
    www.cajun-oil.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cumminspuller
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. What are the odds of some of these prices going down after Christmas, especially on the older models?

Henry- Can I ask where you found the AVR430 for $579?

Is the Marantz SR7000 a 5.1 or 6.1 system?

Jason
    I just saw the H/K 525 on sale at OneCall.com for $574.24.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_17140.htm
    TinHere

Enjoying a virtual life.

Thread Information