Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Smile JBL sound system multi surround!

Well I won’t delay and I’ll just cut straight to the chase.

Don’t underestimate the look of this home cinema the TV maybe small don’t let that fool you it’s got plenty of surprises up its sleeve when it comes to sound presentation.

Source

Pioneer DV-525 DVD player
    SONY DVP-S336 player
    Cello DR-810 DVD-RW recorder
    Pioneer CLD-1750 laserdisc player
    Pioneer CLD-2950 laserdisc player

Monitor

Toshiba 4:3

Decoding & processing

Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select this basically the heart of all the decoding Dolby digital Dolby pro-logic, pro-logic II music and pro-logic II movie also dts which is mostly used of the dts laserdiscs.

Yamaha DSR-70 pro-logic this as been assigned to decode or extract monaural centre phantom sound that is placed within the left and right fronts, it’s connected to the main left and right outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select. It’s a very worthy piece of equipment that can turn or transform any (monaural centre phantom sound) to the centre channel from it’s centre channel output to a second Yamaha processor where I use the two internal inputs one for the discrete centre channel from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select, and the other output from the Yamaha DSR-70 pro-logic where the two signals are brought together as one.

There’s a level adjustment that needs to be done with setting this up. Using the dts set-up and calibration disc where it has become very beneficial over the years with its assorted use of test signals and wideband pink noise.

Yamaha DSP-100 I have already mentioned the use for this decoder processor, but there is one other thing I use on this decoder and the Yamaha DSR-70 pro-logic and that is the low pass out put which is assigned to the Realistic 6 channel audio mixer, that is two outputs and two inputs are used for the three-screen sub bass extension array.

Limiting

Panasonic audio limiter (monaural) this is used for the centre channel only

Ferguson audio limiter ((stereo)) this is used for the left and right channels only

Pioneer VSP-200 Pro-logic AVR assigned for centre back surround sidewalls surrounds and height surround

Mixer

Realistic 6 channel model 32-1210

Realistic 6 channel stereo mixer assigned for sub bass extension and LFE.1 output it is from here all the blending of the low end which supports the three-screen array and surrounds is customised for specific playback same more or less applies for the LFE.1. Where I can monitor the output via the twin VU meters and make any adjustment to the level via cutting back on the low level control on the mixer, it’s fast and simple.

Also there is a low pass output on the Pioneer VSP-200 which is assigned to the Realistic 6 channel audio mixer.

Equalization

JVC SEA E-30, 10 band centre back and height surrounds
    Genxxa model 31-2030, 10 band sidewall surrounds
    Technics SH-8058, 7 band fronts left and rights
    Technics SH-8055, 12 band centre channel and sub bass extension
    Marantz EQ-551, 10 band fronts left and right

Active X over

2WEX used to filter for the LFE.1

Amplification

Marantz 1050 this is used for left and right front channel amplification of the JBL Control 5
    Marantz 1050 this is used for centre channel amplification of the JBL Control 5
    Marantz 1030 this is used for the JBL Control 1 surround array sidewall only
    Pioneer VSP-200 this is used for the centre back JBL Control 1 array and height surround array.

Loudspeakers

JBL Control 5 three-screen array two extra JBL Control 5 for later use with five-screen array

JBL Control 1 x10 assigned to sidewalls rear wall and overheard, this is an ongoing project where I’m still installing JBL Control 1 for the ultimate in-room experience.

JBL 4645 this is used for the LFE.1 only its large 18” JBL 2240H gives good roll off of the LFE.1 when it cuts in during some action scenes or some musical passages to add just a bit more extension to the film without being overwhelming, lows moves smoothly from LFE.1 to sub bass extension without even realizing it’s a bit hard to distinguish and works very well indeed.

Eltax A12-R this is used for sub bass extension of the three-screen array and surrounds only! This helps to not over taxi the sub bass nor muddy up or confuse the signals, it also offers incredible flexibility easy and good dynamic range which supports films with creditability.

"Follow the yellow brick road".

Lead out to lead in etc, etc.

RCA left and right front stereo outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select goes to an audio limiter then outputs to the Yamaha DSR-70 pro it then outputs from the left and right stereo where it goes to one EQ than of to 1x Marantz 1050 for the left and right JBL control 5.

Centre channel out from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select goes to an audio limiter than outputs to the Yamaha DSP-100 where I use one of the inputs for a special front channel effect of blending two into one that is sent to either the JBL control 5 or two separate loudspeakers one that would be placed overhead of the JBL control 5.

Anyway the centre output then passes t x1 EQ than outputs to x1 Marantz 1050.

A second output from the Yamaha DSR-70 pro, the centre output where I can split the signal from left and right making it less in loudness as one part of the audio signal over to JBL control 5 centre channel via the use of the Yamaha DSP-100 where I use the other input and a single monaural output from that processor which acts as a pre amp in a why is set to full output on the fader.

The Yamaha DSR-70 and DSP-100 both have a low pass output that is sent to the audio mixer channels 1 for main 2 for centre 3 is used from the Pioneer VSP-200 low pass output and 6 is used for LFE.1.

All the faders are set to output the level of sub bass extension and LFE.1 with pan pots sent to full left hand side on channels 1 2 3 where the pan pot for right is sent set to full right hand side. There are two stereo outputs from the mixer and please don’t confuse this with (stereo sub bass). The Eltax R-12 A handles all the sub bass extension for the three-screen and surrounds, where the JBL 4645 handles only the LFE.1.

Surround outputs from the Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select goes to the Pioneer VSP-200 where it has a built in amplifier for surround matrix this is used for JBL control 1 height surrounds the centre output is used for centre back for the two middle row JBL control 1.

The left and right stereo output from the Pioneer VSP-200 goes to x1 EQ then goes on to x1 Marantz 1030 where speaker A runs the sidewall JBL control 1 and speaker B runs the two outer rear stereo surrounds. I use A&B for Dolby stereo films or the odd few films with split-surrounds.

When in Dolby mode on the Pioneer VSP-200 it will engage the centre back and overhead surrounds when in bypass it will only run the sidewall JBL control 1 unless I switch on B where six JBL control1 will be running.

I think that covers it and who knows what I might add on tomorrow, its all in the Dolby mix.

Looking downwards wow, kinder gives you vertigo it does. But isn't she a beauty.

Forum Regular
    I think you have some kind of hook-up there, Brainstorm. The only thing that I have is the Pioneer DV-525 player. It is a good player that produces and excellent picture and good sound from its digital outputs. However, the Pioneer Elite DV-37 is far superior in picture and particulaly digital audio output quality. I also own the first cd multi-player with LD capability, the Pioneer CLD M-90. Very good machine all the way around.

Thats quite the setup brainstorm it really will "knock my soaks off. SV must be in paradise looking at all of those JBL control 1xtremes. haha

PS. Brain storm you might want to check for a spelling error in your signature
    that makes as much sense as a drunken mongoose playing the piano

Signature. Noted and fixed cheers mate.

Well I have two other DVD players, and thou they both look stunningly equal with image, where one is used for DVD-RW where some laserdiscs titles have been transfer for my own personal use and look a lot more clearer when the visual signal is sent out via RGB.

Some DVD titles don’t play of most DVD players has some of us have found out over the years, that’s why I use two, and one additional one for DVD-RW transfers only.

All the Star Wars films have been transferred to DVD-RW ok, except the 1997 versions I haven’t gotten around to those yet, a very rare 1982 PAL laserdisc pressing of Star Wars and been transferred Star Wars definitive the one with the 1992 Dolby stereo re-mix that is on the limited edition, Star Trek original Brainstorm The Get Away remake and many more from VHS tape as well.

I needed say anymore about how its all rigged up, just that it does what I thought it would do and more.

Until we get all round true 7.1 mixes and in which form? We already have 6.1 channels matrix and discrete except I’ve been running 6.1 since 1998 with my first Millennium dts 2.4.6 decoder where I hooked the split-surrounds up to a Dolby pro-logic processor the Yamaha DSR-70 with stunning results with films like Goldeneye dts THX laserdisc.

As for the JBL control 1 surround array where I have 2 settings and it’s a hands on affair where if I want films like (Indiana Jones and Last Crusade) to play with x6 JBL control 1 at the present time I have to switch both A&B speaker settings on the Marantz 1030.

The two outer JBL control1 that are placed on the back wall are used along with the x x2 sidewall surrounds. Dolby stereo or six-track Dolby stereo mixes with (split-surrounds) are used with all six JBL playing at once.

For centre back and overhead surrounds I switch of B speaker setting on the Marantz 1030 and turn on the Dolby pro-logic on the Pioneer VSP-200 to divide the signals into four channels of surround with certain types of films not just Dolby-EX any film will work with good split-surround mixing.

SPL can peak up to 102dbc each with (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) where the temple starts to rumble and the ground breaks away. At the present moment I’ve been looping the last 15 minutes of the film and taking SPL db readings to calculate a further x4 JBL control 1 for split-surrounds use, with a peak of 117dbc. Of course I would only use it below that level where the rest is used for headroom.

Hey Brainstorm in your sig line it should read. " I want you to knock my socks off "

Hope this helps.

anamorphic96

Cheers mate

I fixed it, that’s one of the quotes from Brainstorm 1983 and does the Dolby stereo mix just do that with deep sub bass extension that one some occasions vibrates my eyes!

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    ya lost me

Quote Originally Posted by emorphien
    ya lost me
    emorphien

Which part was that I often lose myself sometimes and while I’m typing I’m getting new ideas all the time even when I sleep I count db not sheep, hmm 100dbc +3db 103dbc +3db 106dbc +3db 109dbc.

Oh, Ashley......what are we ever going to do with you?

You're way out there my British friend.

SAEA501

Well, well, we all recognise this sound, how can we forget, just read though this and see if you can make heads and tails of it. I’m sure you have plenty of laserdiscs and DVD sitting around with sounds that have eluded you?

I think gating and additional techniques like keeping the surrounds active during most films where some mixes mute surrounds. For example (A View to A Kill) during the opening credits, not too sure about the newer DVD editions where some have altered the mix, you know the re-mix.

Feeding the information from the fronts in a matrix form requires Dolby pro-logic some re-plugging and extra surround loudspeaker’s or you can uses a stereo audio mixer and use the inputs alone with the (pan pots) to send the signals to the same surround loudspeakers with the usual discrete surrounds or split-surrounds, follow?

And adjust the levels outputting to the mixer from the fronts the usual Dolby matrix surround ambiance that keeps the liveliness of the film active and surrounding, until discrete surround information comes into the mix.

Films like Forest Gump hardly uses surround, practically during the (rain effects) where that’s only covered by the fronts LCR.

This is something I tired out last year with great affect it really worked well, but a few extra items like gating some of the signals frequency response with different thresholds, this would work very well. Take a film like Apollo 13, during the moments at mission control if you listen very carefully very, you’ll hear voices on the surrounds that sounds like the actual transcripts from the real Apollo 13 incident.

Now I’ve been thinking what would it take to make the frequency range of the specific range without blaring out loudly when cutting back to the CM command module?

There you are a few things you can quiz yourselves over the rest of the day, don’t talk, just pop on of the films in the laserdisc player of DVD and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by SAEA501
    You're way out there my British friend.
    Yup. I find myself wanting to grab a red pen half the time

Well a pen always comes in handy to do quick nail sketches!

Anyway I’m very busy listening to Star Trek III and the split-surrounds and only the (surrounds) hmm filtering some parts of the frequency range though some gates while sending it though a mixer with some audio limiters attached?

You know I still think Dolby A or SR is still a good thing like the Dolby 363. Why well, can hear hiss on some films!

On occasions I see these been sold at cinema site supplier here in the UK at a crazy price.

http://gallery.filmvorfuehrer.de/alb...e/363_SR_A.jpg
    Last edited by Brainstorm; 02-25-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think he's blaming the audio system for temporary blindness and lack of coherence and hence the misspellings and run-on sentences.

Better than drugs.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Dude, you gotta lot of freakin' gear

L.J

Yeah, and it still works just fine upgrades of amplification will take place some time soon.

Dusty

Friend, as for my spelling I never criticize anyone else about there’s maybe you should take note you’re gain more friends that way.

That's quite an impressive setup you got there and I don't doubt that it sounds equally impressive. But why oh why would you not get a big widescreen tv to go with it?

Wireworm5

Thanks

Never mind about the TV monitor my mind can expand beyond the room’s dimensions, the only item that will fill the picture is a video projector!

WOW the surrounds on Star Trek V are fantastic I’m presently monitoring the surrounds only to take readings and calculations when captain Kirk lobs that thing that catwoman creature onto the surrounds its between 85dba 94dbc WOW great.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm
    Dusty

Friend, as for my spelling I never criticize anyone else about there’s maybe you should take note you’re gain more friends that way.
    Wait, two other people criticize your spelling in your sig (which you still haven't completely fixed), but me you nag? I wasn't even criticizing you, just explaining your "vibrating eyeballs" comment to others. I think I don't like you.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Not amused at all in fact I’m very, very, very insulated by the immature and childish act!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm
    Not amused at all in fact I’m very, very, very insulated by the immature and childish act!
    Better than fiberglass!

Better than fiberglass!

Insulted LOL well looks like I need to go to ((spec savers)) well the one thing I can say about this spammer he hasn’t got the bottle to stick around because spammers end been shown to the door and booted out!

Still won’t be long before John deletes this spammers post and banned him from the site!

once again I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying yelhsa followed you here? I don't know who he is but I do know I've seen you on audioholics before.

once again I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you saying yelhsa followed you here? I don't know who he is but I do know I've seen you on audioholics before.
    As you too you to it’s a small world. Anyway do you have any interesting audio matters to discuss with me?

Blue you’re been awfully quite there?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information