Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH I might get a crazy idea while I'm there, and blow the $50 on an HDMI cable, and keep the one I ordered as a spare........ I want instant gratification!!!!!

Be sure to change your settings when you get the new cable. It won't adjust on it's own.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Will do GM, hopefully Worst-Buy has an HDMI open box for $20 or so.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ttskyline01
    actually the ps3 can sense the hdmi connected to it'
    Only if you're smart like you and plug in your add-on sale HDMI cable first thing. If you're dumb like me and set it up with the composite cable and then go back days later with the HDMI, well that takes a bit o' cipherin'...especially if yer me.

o.k. here's the update, as a lot happened....... I found out a mere 5 minutes prior to leaving work, that if you sign up for a sony-style credit card ( no annual fees etc. I checked) you get $100 off your first purchase of $299 or more.... PERFECT!!!! plus, since I happen to live in one of the two cities in Ohio that has a Sony Style location, I could go there..... I had a prior committment a couple hours after work, so I managed to pick up the PS3 40gb for only $299 (after the $100 off) plus I got a game, Call of duty 4 (don't know why really... I guess they guilted me into it!) Since they only had sony/bbc titles, and the Planet Earth series is a LOT cheaper on amazon, and they don't have Blade Runner (damn) I just walked out with the PS3, game, and the superman Blu-ray that came with it. Many more titles are needed!!! So anyways, the HDMI cable is on order from Monitorsite, or whatever the website is called, so I didn't get raped on the price of that. Now that I'm home again, the wife decided that I can't hook it up (no biggie.... I'll wait for the HDMI cable to get more of a 'wow' factor anyways) The wife, in her infinite wisdom, doesn't think it's good for the new Nanny to see us getting new things every day. Keep in mind that we have an affinity for above average junk as it is, and it's the Nanny's second day tomorrow. We don't throw money away, but we buy quality once, rather than repeatedly buying junk....... that being said, I don't think it's an issue, but My DEAR LOVELY WIFE, won't let me even set the PS3 out at this point in time...... Funny really, but like I said.... I can wait 2 days or so until my HDMI cable gets here!!!! I'll have two days to stock up on movies!!!

I'll give my full, and completely biased review when I am allowed to plug it in!!!!

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Congrats johnny! Get them Beemers singin'.

$299....sweet!!

It got me in hot water with the wife because I was going to be home for dinner an hour late from work, because I was going to run to best buy, but the Sony Style store is 30 minutes away, so I ended up coming home around 2.5 hrs. after work...... but, a deal is a deal! I'm just glad I found out about it right before I left.

The remainder of my work day is devoted to compiling a list a Blu-Movies to buy!!!!

Congrats on the deal!

Somewhere around here is a link on HD s/w sales. Check for threads started by L.J.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    The PS3 is the best Blu-ray player available. I work for Sony. We have a media test center used to test player compatibility, audio/video quality and authoring. They have an inventory of approx. 140 players with a 0.1% market share or better. They have every Blu-Ray player available. They still report the PS3 is the best, even over the new Sony $1200 player. It loads faster, does great conversion of SD DVDs, has more processing power and is upgradable. I own one I bought as a BD player. It does such a great job of conversion I won't replace any of my DVD with a BD version, but will purchase new BDs. Be sure to take advantage of the five free disc promotion. It will take awhile to get them, but it's like getting an additional $150 off.

HDMI cable can be had on ebay for $.99 + shipping. I bought two, one each from two different companies. Shipping was around $7.50. Sort by "ending soonest" to find one near ending. With the $100 discount I would have gone with the 80GB. It has the memory/media inputs, four USBs, is backward compatible with PS2 and will do SACD. The storage isn't the issue, since there's a utility on the PS3 to allow installation of a larger drive. Instructions can be found on the net.
    Enjoy.

No PS2 games, so no need for backwards compatibility.

I ordered the HDMI cable yesterday, ($5 for a 6 footer) should be here tomorrow or the next day, then I'll connect it, and fire up the Spiderman 3 movie that came with the player to test it out.

I just printed and filled in the rebate form....

1. Pirates of the Caribbean (only one I don't own on Reg. DVD)
    2) Full Metal Jacket
    3) The Last Waltz
    4) The Patriot
    5) American Psycho

I'm gonna buy Cars, or Ratattouli or whatever it is for the Nanny's 3 year old daughter (she brings her daughter to our house every day) I figure she'll like that. Among my titles, not too many are kid friendly (although there are some)

If the Up-conversion is really that good, maybe I'll sell these to get new titles I don't have.... but we'll see.

The Up-conversion is good. But it's not as good as true HD.

Rep points are my LIFE!! Groundbeef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalls
    Be sure to take advantage of the five free disc promotion. It will take awhile to get them, but it's like getting an additional $150 off.

No, its not. It's like getting 5 movies for free. Send me a rebate check for $150, and THATS like getting an additional $150 off.

Don't get me wrong, its a good deal, but in no way are free movies "like getting money back".

Also, don't forget to pick up the proprietary remote for your PS3, as IR remotes don't work. Seems Sony doesn't like traditional universal remotes for the PS3.

I would have gotten the 80GB with the price cut, but that assumes I would sell my 360 to finance my PS3. And that wouldn't happen.
    Pioneer Reciever VSX-1015TX
    JBL Speakers
    Pioneer Plasma PDP-5071HD
    Xbox 360 (The Console to Own)
    Sony BDP-550
    DirecTV DVR HD20 Reciever
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

I sold my 360, not to finance the PS3, but to get permission from the wife to buy it! I never played the 360, maybe once every 3 months, so I would have sold it even if HD didn't exist........ I'm not a gamer, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to checking out this Call of Duty game.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    I sold my 360, not to finance the PS3, but to get permission from the wife to buy it! I never played the 360, maybe once every 3 months, so I would have sold it even if HD didn't exist........ I'm not a gamer, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to checking out this Call of Duty game.
    Well, congrats on getting a BR player.

However, you do realize that the 360 did output games in HD out of the box? And that COD4 came out months ago on the 360/PS3?

And don't forget to get the Bluetooth remote, or your gonna be using your PS3 controller to watch movies. And I hear it isn't all that easy to use it for that function.

Anyway good luck. If the prices continue to fall I may pick up a PS3 just for the BR.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef

And don't forget to get the Bluetooth remote, or your gonna be using your PS3 controller to watch movies. And I hear it isn't all that easy to use it for that function..
    I heard the same thing and picked up the BT remote for $25. The controller really isn't that bad though once you get the hang of it. Just hit the triangle button and it gives you instructions.

Anyway good luck. If the prices continue to fall I may pick up a PS3 just for the BR.
    Gasp! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ ...............

I like the BR remote. I stream music and like to use the remote to skip tracks while I'm in another room. I don't know how often I use the remote when watching a movie. I usually hit play and that's the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    I heard the same thing and picked up the BT remote for $25. The controller really isn't that bad though once you get the hang of it. Just hit the triangle button and it gives you instructions.

Gasp! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........ ...............
    Yeah, I've been giving it some thought. If I do, I'm gonna invite Pixel, Mel, and PS over for a party. I was going to invite you, but then I remembered I was married. Your such a playa, I didn't want to go to the trouble of hiding my wife.
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Yeah, I've been giving it some thought. If I do, I'm gonna invite Pixel, Mel, and PS over for a party. I was going to invite you, but then I remembered I was married. Your such a playa, I didn't want to go to the trouble of hiding my wife.
    Is she hot?

Is she hot?
    Sure is!
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

Sure is!
    What's her number?

What's her number?
    She has a special # for you. She said to tell you to call 1-800-URA-DORK. Let me know how it works out for ya!
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

She has a special # for you. She said to tell you to call 1-800-URA-DORK. Let me know how it works out for ya!
    Oh my God! She has the sexiest voice I've ever heard. Not sure why she needed my CC number though.

Oh my God! She has the sexiest voice I've ever heard. Not sure why she needed my CC number though.
    How do you think I'm paying for my room addition so I can get my f*cking speakers 12' apart?
    JBL Speakers
    Sony BDP-550
    1 Schnoodle
    2 Guinia Pigs

How do you think I'm paying for my room addition so I can get my f*cking speakers 12' apart?
    Wonder if my wife would be willing to start her own company.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information