Its been a while....

So I was quite happy with my HT setup. Denon-2801, JBL Studio series speakers, small athena sub. Two weeks ago my house got struck by lighting and caught fire. What wasn't burned, was blown up by lighting. I'll be getting some insurance money, not much but some. So I need to replace what was lost. My question is, what is out now that is comparable to the 2801 in price and size, and what small bookshelf speakers are hot. My local dealer has a deal on some monitor audio and PSB stuff, but wanted to see what else was out there. I imagine I can drop bewteen $1,500-$2,000 on a receiver, speakers and a sub. I should add I live in a two flat apartment, so I can't tear the roof off.

Also, I'm picking up a Sony Bravia 40" KDL2500. Thanks, its been awhile since I've shopped consumer audio gear.

also that beautiful bass you see in my avatar didn't make it, so sad.......

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Sorry to hear your about your misfortune, hope everyone's ok.

In terms of receivers, I think with Denon you can pretty much pick the first digit or two from model and just update the last one to the current model year? Close if not the same...I could bore you with a recommendation, but to be honest, Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Onkyo are all pretty safe..throw in Marantz. There's small differences in sound quality and features at each price point. Pick your poison.

A lot's changed with avr's with HDMI, home networking, and HDTV big considerations now.

For speakers, I suggest checking out this product line - these are my "reigning champions" in the budget monitor area.
    http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=55

I don't own a pair, but I've heard them enough to know they're worth every penny. Far better than what you'll get from PSB or Paradigm at those price points. My Axiom's cost more than xls bookshelf and aren't as nice a speaker.
    It's sick how good they are. I don't know how they're making money. Who cares.

For the sub, well, I'm partial to sealed units. The best bang for the buck I've heard:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-770
    It's big, physically, but this thing is very musical, plays loud, low, deep, and moves a lot of air when needed...You can spend 3 times that and not do any better. The trade off is the size of course. Assembly is ridiculously easy...you can ask LJ, GMichael, and a few others here about the Dayton kits. If size is critical, well, I dunno. Hsu Research makes quality units.

I'd budget 50 to 60% on speakers myself. You can get a quality receiver from somewhere like JR.com for $350-$400 that's likely on par or better than your 2801. Not to shill for JandR, but if you browse their site for prices you won't see their best rate - phone them, they always quote a lower price in peson. I got my $850 msrp unit for $450 or something I think. Hard to argue against that.

Good luck.

I guess I would have to lean toward the new Onkyo TX SR605 with lossless HD audio suport and HDMI 1.3a for the latest and greatest codec support.

I hear Integra has also released a similar model but it is far more expensive.

I have not heard the Axioms but they are designed with the National Research Council facility resources, much like the PSB's which is well respected for their designs.

The HSU research makes a pretty sweet 5.1 package that would fit your budget after the Onkyo purchase with HB1's and a sub with the funds left over.

So many choices now a days and lots of good ones out there. The differences in sound quality seem to narrow every year. Do a search on the NRC and I think you will be impressed with the list of manufacturers that employ their resources.

Yes, everyone is ok, thanks for asking. It happened while everyone was at work. The Denon would probably be my top choice now, but I'm going to try and listen to some stuff at ABT today.

I went out today and listened to every speaker I could get near, and for the money, I liked klipsch rb10, the sony 3200es and the sony kdlv2500. For the price and size, I think thats what I may go with. Any have any experience with this?

So I looked at it further, and looks like the klipsch's are 50w max and the sony is 120w out. Probably doesn't matter so much.
    Last edited by SoundGuyDave; 07-15-2007 at 06:55 AM.

The more I research, the more it seems the Sony 3200ES more receiver than I need. I don't wish to do HDMI switching, and I am using it in a small room (16x12) so I dont need a ton of power. I'm thinking something like the denon 787 is more along my needs. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
    The more I research, the more it seems the Sony 3200ES more receiver than I need. I don't wish to do HDMI switching, and I am using it in a small room (16x12) so I dont need a ton of power. I'm thinking something like the denon 787 is more along my needs. Any thoughts?
    I know I like Denon's reliability and performance reputation a lot more than I like Sony's. 85 X 7 is plenty with those Klipsch speakers.
    What kind of price are you getting on the Denon?

the 787 can be had on amazon for 400. I'm also looking at a good deal on a set of monitor bronze series for speakers. So many choices.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I know I like Denon's reliability and performance reputation a lot more than I like Sony's. 85 X 7 is plenty with those Klipsch speakers.
    What kind of price are you getting on the Denon?
    I will second that. I also think Denon sinks a lot more R&D into their receivers and the trickle down of that technology does make it into their less expensive models for a great deal for the consumer.

I agree on the denon. I think the sony sold me on the price. The Sony can be had for about $650 right now and is comparable in features to the Denon 2807, which is about $200 more. The 787 drops alot of features, but has the denon name and sound. I know I said earlier in a post that I wasn't interested in HDMI and everything, but I do want a receiver that will be most up to date. I'm thinking I may just pony up the extra $200 for the 2807, since I am getting the monitor speakers very cheap.

On the other side, I did buy a klipsch sub.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
    the 787 can be had on amazon for 400. I'm also looking at a good deal on a set of monitor bronze series for speakers. So many choices.
    Maybe this one could be an option in between the 787 and 2807?
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4125693

Not a bad price on it - whenever I phone a salesguy, they go cheaper than the web price. Always good to shop around though.

Thats a good idea, I didnt see that before

So I'm totally weak and pre-ordered the Denon 2808. I figure the 2801 kept me running for 6 years (and probably woulda been longer) so I might as well do the same.

LOL! well...I think we've all been down that path before...

Right. if we were happy with whats "good enough" I don't think we'd be posting on this board. It'll be a tough wait, but I think it'll be worth it. HDMI 1.3 should be cool to have. Hopefully HDMI 1.4 waits at least a month later to come out.

Well, I think I got everything purchased/ordered. I got the following.

Receiver - Denon 2808
    Mains - Monitor Audio B4
    Center- Monitor Audio Bronze Center
    Rears - Monitor Audio BFX
    Sub - Klipsch RW-10d
    Monitor - Sony KDLV2500
    DVD - Oppo 981HD
    Control - Logitech 880
    Monster Power Conditioner
    Stand Out Designs Credenza

This should be my best system yet. I got pretty much everything either on sale or closeout, so the price isn't too bad, but thank god for insurance money. Thanks for all the help guys.

Thread Information