Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    IBSTORMAN..........The reason for the big box is subwoofer physics. All things being equal the same size driver with a larger box gives superior perfomance. Many manufacturers try to limit the box size because many buyers don't want a big box. That is why the mini cube type subs are very popular. However, they trade off the small box size for a decrease in bass extention and higher distortion and require heavy magnets and huge amps to attain reasonable performance.

In the case of the SVS 10" sub, they have increased the performance of a sub with a 10" driver by using a larger box with a 1" front baffle (no cheap construction here). It keeps the price down and offers superior performance to anything in this price range. This is one serious sub, performance wise. It has a 300 watt Bash (digital switching) amp. The sub separately sells from SVS direct for $430. This matches in performance many subs costing in the $750 plus range.

I'll bet your PSB sub with the 15" driver costs a hell of a lot more than $430. Probably about $1200 plus in today's market if they still make a 15" sub. That is the total budget listed above.

RR6
    It is a PSB Subsonic 7 and I paid $200 at a Pawn Shop about 2 years ago on a whim. Just got lucky. It goes lower than anything else I have heard to date. In fact it goes subsonic, you hear the beats instead of music and it rattles EVERYTHING if you're not careful. Have heard things on CD's & DVD's I didn't know was there with any of several diffferent brands of 12" subs. And it's musical too, not monotone like some subs. But it's only 17.5" x 17.5" X 18.25". You made a comment about the SVS's high weight being about quality and it seems more about the enclosure size, which was my only point. I'd have to hear one. A point I'd like to mention, Infinity's higher quality car subs, the Perfect series, uses a SMALLER box than their less quality Kappa or Reference series. Their 10" Perfect sub loves a .6 cu ft box. That's about 12" x 12" x 7" and it truly goes down to 18 HZ. The smaller enclosure keeps the sound from bouncing around distorting the driver. It's about sub physics, as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner6
    Correction: IBSTORMIN (sorry for the mispelling)
    Not a problem. I saw it but it's not a big deal. Stuff happens!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Just FYI I have ordered last week an Onkyo TX-SR606 and an Infinity BETA HCS 7.1 (the normal set 5.1 + two additional satellite loudspeakers). I expect to get it during July and to install it in my new home by the end of August. I will let you know the result.

Here in Europe, ordering from Germany, that makes the total setup (receiver + speakers) at about 1130 Eur (about 1800 USD).

Does anyone here have an experience of combining an Onkyo receiver with Infinity speakers?
    I remember having read a post somewhere of a guy who has a TX-SR705 or 805 with this Beta HCS system and was totally happy with it.

Forum Regular

Setup is complete

Hey! Sorry I didn't reply earlier...

I got the BETA HCS about a month ago and I had more than I bargained for. I paid 390€ plus delivery costs and with that price it's hard to find a better pack. The pack contained 4 satellites, a center speaker, sub, sub cable (a thin gold plated rca cable), rubber feet and speaker cables for all speakers (I used my own thicker ones). One important thing is that the speaker grilles are NOT the colour they seem to be in the ads. They actually are dark grey (graffite), not chrome. At least they are in black BETA speakers anyway...

I also ordered and installed the optional wall brackets (BETA UNI-WB). I (of course) broke one immediately because I skrewed the knob too tightly ¤%&#¤. Well what can you expect for plastic "thingies". A little bit of black insulate tape on the broken knob and "voila", no harm done! The rear speakers are nicely placed on the wall!

To sum this up, I am very happy with this set. The movies sound very impressive and I'm also happy with sound of music. I can recommend this to everyone who looks for a decent 5.1 system.

I thank you all for your help and if there are any questions I'm happy to help

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by aksak
    Just FYI I have ordered last week an Onkyo TX-SR606 and an Infinity BETA HCS 7.1 (the normal set 5.1 + two additional satellite loudspeakers). I expect to get it during July and to install it in my new home by the end of August. I will let you know the result.

Here in Europe, ordering from Germany, that makes the total setup (receiver + speakers) at about 1130 Eur (about 1800 USD).

Does anyone here have an experience of combining an Onkyo receiver with Infinity speakers?
    I remember having read a post somewhere of a guy who has a TX-SR705 or 805 with this Beta HCS system and was totally happy with it.
    I see no reason what so ever why Onkyo wouldn't do well with BET HCS. Just make the calibrations well (the manual says the speakers crossover frequency must be set to 120 Hz, but I have it on 100 Hz) and put the speakers on small mode. Well I believe that you know these things

AR Newbie Registered Member

Smile

Update / small review after 9 months use of the package Onkyo TX-SR606 + Pack Infnity Beta HCS 7.1

Just one word : satisfied!

Following Ornassis's good advise, I entered the Onkyo manual setup menu to change the speakers crossover frequency at 100 Hz, after having initially made the Audissey automatic calibration (which is part of the Onkyo receive)r. That helped a lot the subwoofer to support the satellites as these ones cannot handle too much low frequencies due to their size.

That proved to be extremely effective, including for music.

The CMMD drivers on the satellites are not harsh, and as told by IBSTORMIN, are really good for voices. This is excellent when listening for instance to an opera, or a cantata, or a mass, if you like classical music. And the satellites' drivers prove to be really good also to handle medium to very high frequencies, with clarity all the frequency range long.

In order to summarize, I am very happy with the Beta HCS. They are real good bargains now in Europe as the last available ones are sold for just over 280 Eur/pack 5.1 (I paid approx. 40% more 9 months ago). And when you see the finishing and quality of the pack, that's a nice deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information