Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Illegal...

MCF
    Forum Regular

Illegal...

Is it illegal to burn a copy of a rented DVD for personal use? I know a lot of people that do it (and even go as far as scanning the DVD label to make one for the burned DVD).

Forum Regular
    yep, illegal!

Forum Regular
    Yeah and I'm sure the police have nothing better to do with their time then arrest you for it. Get real!
    As long as you don't try to sell copies nobody is going to hassle you. Use common sense!

Sounds illegal to me. Don't these retals have those anoying notices stating how this is illegal at the begining?
    You will probably never be caught though.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    i agree, you'll only get caught if you try selling them. also, aren't some dvds encrypted in a weird way so they won't copy? just wondering. i'm sure there's probably ways to still copy, but just curious.

MCF
    Forum Regular

I would never....

do anything illegal...just a coincidence I recently got a Netflix account, a scanner and a new computer....

Im curious as to what kinda playback your friends are getting on these copied DVD's. Im talking picture and sound quality.

MCF
    Forum Regular

I have only scene a couple....

but they looked as good as an original to me and the sound was great....watched a copy of Constantine the other night and it looked great on my 50" plasma and sounded great (a couple of the surround tracks startled me a couple times)...but the movie, well, that is another issue...

Forum Regular

You Guys Are So Out of the Loop Use DVD Shrink for Free

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Im curious as to what kinda playback your friends are getting on these copied DVD's. Im talking picture and sound quality.
    First of all the playback is perfect. There are free decrypting programs online (just google in decrypting DVD's or some variance) such as DVD Shrink that'll decrypt your DVD and make you perfect clones in 5.1 sound & will even automatically compress it to get all the extra DVD features in if you want this. Again credit to NAbstentia for telling me about this program. Before I go on, I would not recommend downloading movies online or selling your clone copies as that's asking for trouble. Anyway, if you have a DVD burner on your computer or an external DVD burner that you can connect by USB and decent burning software like Nero, you'll be able to make clones 99% of the time for yourself. Just remember to delete all this stuff off your computer after your done(VTS & Video files) as they take up alot of space. DVD Shrink will even make region free copies. I recommend you use DVD+RW's till you get the hang of it. It usually takes 45-90 minutes to burn a DVD using this program. I suggest you open up a Netflix account. Enjoy PS There are free online programs that'll let you download covers of DVD's as well as commercial software online (such as Acoustica DVD label maker) for you to make DVD covers (if you can't find a full DVD cover online you can cut and paste (usually the front of one) online on programs like these. You can get DVD cases cheaply in bulk on Ebay.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 08-11-2005 at 11:23 AM.

MCF
    Forum Regular

EdwardGein...

is it easier if you have a two bay DVD on your computer...one to read and one to write? How about two layer writing?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    is it easier if you have a two bay DVD on your computer...one to read and one to write? How about two layer writing?
    Yeah I have a 2 bay DVD if this is what you mean- a regular internal DVD burner & an external one attached by USB. I use the external one to play the DVD & the internal one to record but you can do either one. It saves a little time & makes it slightly easier but isn't necessary (I originally bought my external one when my old computer didn't have a DVD burner). As far as 2 layer, ask NAbstentia, I'm not sure about that and am curious myself.
    Oh yeah, always rename on DVD Shrink what you're burning by at least 1 letter- it took me weeks to understand what I was suppose to enter in that blank on file burned). You can get DVD+R/RW's cheap at most chain stores- you don't have to use a name brand, you'll get the same results (at least that's been my experience). Oh, I don't notice the difference in compressed sound at all but I think some people in the past on this board said they did.

I also have a seperate DVD recorder to record TV Shows & convert VHS & 8mm tapes on- Lite On 5001 which I got for around $170 online and I totally recommend as its extermely easy to use.

The thing I feel sorry for people the most isn't so much that most commercial DVD's are encrypted but most of the public doesn't know that DVD stand alone recorders can not make copies of most DVD's (which are encrypted) & waste their money to buy these for strictly trhis purpose. I have seen on Ebay regularly people selling devices for stand alone DVD recorders that'll connect and let you copy a DVD but they sell for $120-$150 and
    I don't know how they perform.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Now I am confused...

you say people buy DVD burners to copy DVD's and then sell them on Ebay because they can't...why not? If you get DVD shrink and Nero 6, what else do you need other than an external USB DVD R/W and adequate hard drive space or one DVD-R and one DVD R/W?

you say people buy DVD burners to copy DVD's and then sell them on Ebay because they can't...why not? If you get DVD shrink and Nero 6, what else do you need other than an external USB DVD R/W and adequate hard drive space or one DVD-R and one DVD R/W?
    You do not need an external DVD drive. They cost more than the internal versions and are slower. You can get away with using the trial version of Nero and DVD shrink. This wouldn't require you to purchase any software at all.

The quickest way is to use DVD shrink as mentioned above and have two internal drives; one to read and one to write. My copies usually only take about 30 min. from start to finish. Edward, you might want to get an internal drive instead of that USB one because that USB is slowing you down, if that even matters to you. The speed of this also depends on the speed of the computer and the amount of memory.

If for some reason DVD shrink has a problem decrypting the disc you can use DVD decryptor to rip the disc and DVD shrink to compress and burn the disc. I have run into a handful of discs that DVD shrink couldn't handle the decryption.

MCF
    Forum Regular

Do you need both DVD Shrink and Nero or...

is one or the other sufficient. Some posts refer to both and some refer to only DVD shrink. If I plan on getting a computer with two DVD drives, what software will I need to be able to burn most DVD's?

Funny, I dont even own a DVD burner. I'm sure they've come way down in price. Computers use to be my thing but it kinda fell off. I was a napster addict for quite awhile back in the day. Are there any decent sites out there for downloading free music?

I gave up on the music downloading because I kept running into songs that played for 5 seconds then the rest of the song was just loud snow. Got old quick so I started getting music the old fashion way. Going to the store for it.

is one or the other sufficient. Some posts refer to both and some refer to only DVD shrink. If I plan on getting a computer with two DVD drives, what software will I need to be able to burn most DVD's?
    DVD shrink needs some part of Nero in order to do the burning of the DVDs as part of the process so they are both necessary. You actually will never need to run Nero. DVDshrink will use what it needs from Nero without you needing to do anything. 95% of DVDs will burn with the DVDshrink/Nero combo. DVD decryptor is only needed once in a while.

Forum Regular
    What I meant to say is most people buy stand alone DVD recorders as opposed to something that's attached or that you can externally attach to a computer because they don't understand that you can't copy most DVD's because there is a chip or something inside the recorder. The only way to copy DVD's is to get one of the free online programs that decrypts or possibly to use one of the devices sold on Ebay which I can't attest too.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 08-11-2005 at 12:31 PM.

Forum Regular

Nero Software

I don't download music mainly because of all the adware/spyware crap on the programs which screw my computer up & since the old Napster closed down, most of the music I like you can't find on it (stuff like Robin Trower & Jack Bruce's BLT, prog rock groups like Rare Bird, etc.) I generally get stuff used if possible on Ebay & Amazon.com and unless I really love the album, resell it on those 2 places & burn myself a CDR.

In regards to Nero software, you need this software to burn a DVD (it will also make CDR's etc.). If you have a non encrypted DVD recording, you can use Nero and make a copy of that. However, if the DVD is encrypted you use DVD Shrink to decrypt it and Nero to burn the DVD- a 2 step process for which the DVD Shrink software integrates both functions using its own program and a burning program such as Nero which is amonst the most popular and reliable. Without a DVD burning program, like Nero, you can't burn a DVD. So yes you need both. I can't comment on the "trial version" but on Ebay you can buy a new external DVD recorder with free Nero software for between $85-$120 or maybe less from a regular vendor with an Ebay store. You can also probably buy the software on Ebay for a good price. I definately would recommend you having a hard CD Nero Software. Decryption programs like DVD Shrink download directly to your computer and aren't on discs.

I've only not been able to copy 2 DVD's on DVD Shrink. I don't know why. JeffKnob seems to be able to make copies alot faster than me. I have XP software & 120 gigs on my computer. As I said, the whole process for a regular movie including all the extras takes from the time I put the DVD in the computer till a clone is produced about 45-90 minutes for me, albeit I'm using 1X, 2.3X or 4.7 DVD+R/RW's, the slower the one the cheaper it is. I still can do other functions on my computer when its burning. the basic DVD process is: (After you set all the universal settings which is a time deal): 1. put the DVD in computer & open it with DVD Shrink. 2 DVD Shrink breaks everything down into files, 3. Check or uncheck different files (i.e. I take out French subtitles) & always click on the top movie title, 3. Press backup and name your DVD file, 4. put DVD+R in DVD burning slot, press OK. It will first encode which takes a while and then burn. Once you start doing this it gets really easy
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 08-11-2005 at 12:35 PM.

You can get a great LiteOn 16x internal drive which would be faster for about $47 including shipping at Newegg. It also includes Nero which you can also download on the internet from their website for FREE if you want to.

I use WinMX to download music. There is no spyware or adware and there is a ton of stuff out there. I have also heard Limewire is good but it took a lot out of my laptop when I installed it so I haven't used it much on my main computer.

Forum Regular
    I just got an NEC dual layer burner for 47 dollars shipped from newegg.com
    havent tried a dvd burn yet, no discs. but cds take only 3 minutes!!!
    i also got dvd shrink, decrypter, a couple weeks ago in anticipation of this buy.
    Now i can back up all my music, and my movies that i bought(rented)
    "Flouridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."
    --Gen. Jack D. Ripper

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MomurdA
    I just got an NEC dual layer burner for 47 dollars shipped from newegg.com
    havent tried a dvd burn yet, no discs. but cds take only 3 minutes!!!
    i also got dvd shrink, decrypter, a couple weeks ago in anticipation of this buy.
    Now i can back up all my music, and my movies that i bought(rented)
    Yeah Nero does my CD's in 3-4 minutes. I tried WinMX but couldn't find anything I want (I'm more into 60/70's cult music & not into most current music).

I totally recommend you join Netflix as I've started a good music dvd library via them.

Also suggest you put your DVD Shrink settings on this board if you're having problems with anything. It took me a few weeks to perfect the process. Once you burn a decrypted DVD, you can use Nero and make clones of clones & skip the DVD Shrink process. I don't know much about decrypter but basically if I can't make a copy on DVD Shrink I either won't bother or buy the DVD for myself.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 08-11-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Yeah Nero does my CD's in 3-4 minutes. I tried WinMX but couldn't find anything I want (I'm more into 60/70's cult music & not into most current music).

I totally recommend you join Netflix as I've started a good music library via them.

Also suggest you put your DVD Shrink settings on this board if you're having problems with anything. It took me a few weeks to perfect the process. Oncce you burn a decrypted DVD, you can use Nero and make clones of clones & skip the DVD Shrink process. I don't know much about decrypter bus basically if I can't make a copy on DVD Shrink I either won't bother or buy the DVD for myself.
    I wish that in the future you would drop the word "clone" when discussing DVD Shrink. The name of the product alone ought to be enough for you to recognize that what you're getting is not a clone of the original product and to suggest otherwise would be inaccurate. Small matter perhaps but I think it's a valid point. For the record there exist many other tools to actually clone a DVD and a quick google search will usually identify some leading contenders fairly easily. Actually there are some pretty helpful sites dedicated to such programs.

jc
    "Ahh, cartoons! America's only native art form. I don't count jazz 'cuz it sucks"- Bartholomew J. Simpson

Forum Regular
    Great, I know for sure that this friend of mine who works for the feds is reading all this. But just in case he doesn't here are the results of my backup DVDs.

I backup my very best movies on Dual Layer DVDs which I obtained for the price of $2.50 each. It was a one time sale at OfficeMax and I haven't seen them since. Anyway so I grabbed 20 and have used five of those until now.

The dual layer backups are as brilliant as the originals in terms of audio and video reproduction.
    Single layer discs work great but it depends upon the orignal movie size also. If the original movie is more than 130 minutes then the picture starts breaking at times because it is severely compressed. Sound remains pretty faithful though.
    Wooch, Sir TT, etal are a part of a Northern California Conspiracy!
    Smokey, admit you are using your receiver as a prepro!!

Forum Regular

Nick Explain Please

I use regular DVD+R/RW's and have never had one lemon with DVD Shrink even when they've been compressed (most of them are). These DVD+R/RW's cost me 25-80 cents each. Please explain to me what exactly a dual layer DVD+R/RW will accompish that a cheap single layer DVD+R/RW won't, if I don't have any problems. Not saying you're wrong but I need a reason to spend $2.50 on these instead of 40-80 cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information