Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar

If you haven't upgraded to HDMI, you better!

My assistant threw this news on my desk over the weekend, and I thought the good folks here would like a heads up.

If you have not upgraded your equipment to HDMI by 2010, you are not going to be out of luck accessing HD signals.

2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models, any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only. Existing Models may be manufactured and sold by Adopter up until December 31, 2011. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Adopter may continue to manufacture and sell an Existing Model in which the implementation of AACS Technology is a Robust Inactive Product after December 31, 2010 provided that when such Robust Inactive Product is activated through a Periodic Update, such Periodic Update results in a Licensed Player that limits analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD Interlace Modes only. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to override limitations or obligations stated in any other section of this Agreement.

For purposes of this section, "SD Interlace Modes" shall mean composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video.

2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or sold by Adopter after December 31, 2013.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Holy crap on first read I understood about 20% of that. Can you summarize for us limited folk?

edit: on second read I understood about 100%. Sorry

What it essentially says is any player manufactured after 12/31/10 must have its analog downconverted to SD in order to not violate its liscense with the AACS. Current Blu ray players with non-downcoverted analog outputs can be sold up to 12/31/11, after that date these players cannot be sold, or by firmware upgrade(or downgrade) the analog outputs will be down rezzed by that date. On 12/31/13 the analog hole will be sealed, and there will be no HD through the component outputs.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

I was going to say, isn't component the only one able to pass through HD in the analog realm?
    As i understand it, by passing this law they are trying to promote (pretty forcefully as it appears) HDMI?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Holy crap on first read I understood about 20% of that. Can you summarize for us limited folk?

edit: on second read I understood about 100%. Sorry
    Basically they are cutting off the analog HD signal, something they have been planning forever.
    Thats because of a slight chance that you might be able to copy an analog signal.
    This has more to do with the paranoia of the studios and less to do with reality.
    For years studios have been obsessing about consumers "pirating" their movies,
    and it has never really been a problem.
    MEANWHILE CHINA and other places have been turning out pirated content by the TON.
    I guess it makes them feel better , like they are doing something, to shut a
    small vent while the barn door remains open.
    THERE HAS NEVER BEEN MUCH RESPECT FOR "copyright" and intellectual
    property in the far east, elaborate copy protection schemes(which is what was behind HDMI in the first place) aimed at the consumer , even if successfull, wont touch on the real problem at all.
    There has never been an encript scheme that cant be hacked.
    But I dont care, because I beleive in copyrights, I want producers to get paid so I
    WILL keep receiving their content, and the HDMI form factor is an exelent way to do that.
    If it makes studios feel better fine, but it will have almost no effect on piracy,
    just like busting some vacationer with a dime bag won't have much effect on drug trafficking.
    BECAUSE ITS AIMED AT THE WRONG TARGET,
    consumers, and not the pros.
    Old news in any event.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    What it essentially says is any player manufactured after 12/31/10 must have its analog downconverted to SD in order to not violate its liscense with the AACS. Current Blu ray players with non-downcoverted analog outputs can be sold up to 12/31/11, after that date these players cannot be sold, or by firmware upgrade(or downgrade) the analog outputs will be down rezzed by that date. On 12/31/13 the analog hole will be sealed, and there will be no HD through the component outputs.
    What about the PS/3 I already own? Will one of the updates force me to change cables?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Piracy is so rampant, the movies should be rated Arrgh!

I was going to say, isn't component the only one able to pass through HD in the analog realm?
    As i understand it, by passing this law they are trying to promote (pretty forcefully as it appears) HDMI?
    For Blu ray, the analog sunset was going to be 2011. They have moved it back to 2013. The component video section is used to pass 1080i HD video. It is also a unprotected output, which is a great temptation for piracy.

Unfortunately, one of our most ignorant posters has said that piracy is a non issue. Well, he is wrong once again, it is a huge problem in this country, Eastern Europe, and Asia. Independent analyst have stated that the film industry has lost over $4 Billion dollars to piracy in 2009.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    What about the PS/3 I already own? Will one of the updates force me to change cables?
    Your PS3 is cool. It is referring to future products, not those that have already been sold.
    Sir Terrence

Oppo BDP-103D
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    THX Style Baffle wall

Your PS3 is cool. It is referring to future products, not those that have already been sold.
    That's good. I'm not ready to upgrade yet. Well. my bank account is not ready for me to upgrade yet.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I wonder what happens if your HDMI goes to an AV receiver and then you run analog wires to the TV. The receiver will perhaps be protected in the same manner?

Aren't you using HDMI with your PS3?

Unfortunately, one of our most ignorant posters has said that piracy is a non issue. Well, he is wrong once again, it is a huge problem in this country, Eastern Europe, and Asia. Independent analyst have stated that the film industry has lost over $4 Billion dollars to piracy in 2009.
    I'm sure it's problem. However the formula ...
    Number of illegal copies X Street Price per copy = Lost Revenue
    ... is invalid for obvious reasons.

nightflier
    This kind of paranoiac-induced legislation is also unrealistically dependent on being able to close our borders to all foreign products and to pretend that US law should apply universally world-wide. Good luck there. Anyhow, if I have a need to use component connections at 1080i after 12/31/13, I'll just buy my player from China. Oh wait, I'm already doing that....

Musicaholic Forums Moderator ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    This kind of paranoiac-induced legislation is also unrealistically dependent on being able to close our borders to all foreign products and to pretend that US law should apply universally world-wide. Good luck there. Anyhow, if I have a need to use component connections at 1080i after 12/31/13, I'll just buy my player from China. Oh wait, I'm already doing that....
    Hmmmmm. I'm seeing an opportunity to make some money here. A little black market trading of Canadian components. MWAAAHAHAHAHA!

They do realize that we will just figure out a new way around it ... not that there aren't a million different ways now haha (that is to copy or pirate the movies)

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    My assistant threw this news on my desk over the weekend

You have an assistant? I could be your assistant.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Aren't you using HDMI with your PS3?
    My receiver has no HDMI.

My receiver has no HDMI.
    Right, but that doesn't really matter. Your tv (projector) has HDMI if I'm not mistaken

Right, but that doesn't really matter. Your tv (projector) has HDMI if I'm not mistaken
    It has one HDMI. Who gets that port? Cable? HD-DVD? PS/3? Right now the cable gets the HDMI port because it gets the most use. I could switch it but I'd need to buy the PS/3 cable which costs more than a normal HDMI. I was hoping to upgrade the receiver before that becomes an issue.

Forum Regular
    Or use an HDMI multi-port switcher in front of the projector.

Cool

For Blu ray, the analog sunset was going to be 2011. They have moved it back to 2013. The component video section is used to pass 1080i HD video. It is also a unprotected output, which is a great temptation for piracy.

ignorant?
    I used to be in law enforcement, and while this isn't entirely my area, its common knowledge that the average consumer is not a huge problem for the industry.
    The pros, who are a lot harder to catch, are the problem.
    A lot of this is "cover your butt", cant do anything about the real problem,
    but it makes you look like you're doing something if you hurt some poor smuck
    making a copy for a friend.
    MOST IS OVERSEAS, WHICH most studios cant touch.
    So they take it out on those they can bother.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

It has one HDMI. Who gets that port? Cable? HD-DVD? PS/3? Right now the cable gets the HDMI port because it gets the most use. I could switch it but I'd need to buy the PS/3 cable which costs more than a normal HDMI. I was hoping to upgrade the receiver before that becomes an issue.
    Looks like the future has finally caught up with you.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

nightflier
    And my guess is that a multi-port switcher will do less harm to the signal than a receiver. Keep things simple and less can go wrong with it.

Cool

Showing your ignorance , as usual.
    You might not be able to change a legacy product, but you can affect a new product
    coming out.
    So a new projector or monitor, sensing an analog signal, automatically downconverts
    it to 480i, not a problem, really.
    Have a BLU player with a net connection? They can put in a firmware upgrade anytime they want, dont have to tell you.
    THIS IS GOING TO AFFECT as many people as they can possibly get to, anyway they
    can.
    After Sony putting a root kit on peoples hard drive, I would beleive anything of the bunch that runs studios.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information