Forum Regular

How much do you pay for cable/satellite?

Just wondering how much people pay for your cable/satellite service around the country.

*What company do you use (i.e. Comcast, Wide Open West, Adelphia, DishTV, DirectTV, etc)?

*What do you get for the money (i.e. basic cable, digital cable, HD, cable internet, DVR, etc)?

I have Wide Open West (WOW) cable and pay $67/month for extended basic (non-digital) and 4Mbps internet.

Thanks.
    Eric

P.S. The highest per month bill wins

Forum Regular
    I have Time Warner Cable. I have their "basic" cable service which in my area consists of around 70 channels. No premium movie channels, no digital cable. I do have their Roadrunner internet service which I think is 4mbps. Total with tax and all the miscellaneous charges comes to around $91US per month. Kind of lucky though because my employer pays for my internet service since I can do much of my work at home.

Forum Regular
    I'm paying with my Roadrunner Internet Service around $150 or so a month to Time Warner. This covers HD Service for 2 TV's, 2 HD DVRs/receivers, Showtime, HBO, digital TV programs including On Demand which I think is around 400 channels & HD channels for NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, TNT, Discovery, PBS & HBO & Showtime. This is money well spent because I've had at most minor interuptions & service has worked excellent 99% of the time.
    Last edited by EdwardGein; 01-04-2006 at 10:09 PM.

$95 a month for Comcast. 2 cable boxes and 1 HD/DVR box. HD= ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX,DSCHD,PBS, INHD1&2, ESPNHD. Silver package= 1 premium channel(showtime&showtimeHD), digital cable, expanded and basic channels, Digital music channels(I get alot of use from the music channels). I'm probably overpaying.

Forum Regular

satellite

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    Just wondering how much people pay for your cable/satellite service around the country.

*What company do you use (i.e. Comcast, Wide Open West, Adelphia, DishTV, DirectTV, etc)?

*What do you get for the money (i.e. basic cable, digital cable, HD, cable internet, DVR, etc)?

I have Wide Open West (WOW) cable and pay $67/month for extended basic (non-digital) and 4Mbps internet.

Thanks.
    Eric

P.S. The highest per month bill wins
    I have dish, pay $49.95 per month for the basic around 60 or 70 channels and i also get the HD package for that price

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by s dog
    I have dish, pay $49.95 per month for the basic around 60 or 70 channels and i also get the HD package for that price
    I'm confused. Does this mean your paying just $49.95 for HD including the 60-70 channels or are you paying $99.90? If your paying just $49.95 for everything including HD, hats off to you, that's a fantastic deal. Do you have an HD DVR too?

Forum Regular
    Have DirecTV, with Total Choice Plus, 2 standard boxes plus a TiVo/receiver for about
    $62 per month. I'm in Chicago and use 2 of the boxes at my summer place in Michigan to get all the Chicago local channels. Plus have basic Comcast at 9.48 a month to serve my kitchen and bedroom at my main house. I get far more channels on Comcast than I'm supposed to, but since I get internet from them, they don't put any filters on my line. So I think do allright for what I pay.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Direct TiVo/Total Choice Plus,$49.95 a month.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    $49.95/ mo for Time Warner digital cable and HD service (no DVR). For another $6.95 a month I get the extended HD package with ESPN HD, inHD, HDNet, etc.

PDK
    Forum Regular
    The beauty of a combo package for the provider is that the consumer doesn't really know what he is paying unless they really spend some time thinking about it... I recently began thinking about it.

My monthly Midcontinent bill is about $128 (add taxes) for HDTV (with about a dozen HBO channels and seemingly a couple hundred cable channels), DVR, Internet, and Telephone. However, it is rather slim pickings for HD, I don't DVR anything ( I do "DVR" on my PC and download some UK programs), I watch very little television, I predominantly use my mobile phone and also have VOIP. I really do not need three lines but it is quite convenient. Beginning in February, my bill is going to be about $82 as I am scaling back to non-HD, non-digital basic 70 or so channel cable, non-call waiting or ID telephone, and unlimited internet. To me, my internet connection is essentially worth the price of admission as I have a static IP, my downstream speeds are frequently T3, and there are no transfer limitations. There are definitely some package "savings" (although I'm paying more in total to include services that are under-used and of only marginal value to me) for me in purchasing in bundling the three services. The way they price it, it is almost a wash for me to throw in the land line telephone than it would be for my internet and basic cable alone.

I would love it if the FCC was able to mandate the ala carte pricing they recently discussed. It might appear contradictory based on my above willingness to pay for under-used services (telephone and cable) but I would rather pay three dollars each for the eight channels I actually watch than the approximate $24 for what I will be paying as part of their basic cable. Better still would be on-demand programming. Start the meter every time I watch Brit Hume, another for Myth Busters, and so on... Naturally, I'd love to pay for my actual usage of the landline telephone as well. Overall, I am pleased with my cable bundle.

Forum Regular
    interesting stuff! i feel it's what i expected- obviously, the more you get, the more you pay. it can just be so darn confusing when you're trying to pick different providers- a few cable companies, internet companies, satellite companies, etc. i like the options and prefer that over no options, but it's just a hassle sometimes.

Thread Information