Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How Much Did You Pay For Your Hdtv?

And more importantly, does the performance justify the $$$$?

Forum Regular

Yes & What Did You Pay?

I paid $1600 including delivery and installation in 2004 for my 48" Mitsubishi Rear Projection Widescreen HDTV, best TV I ever had and more then worth the cost. The same TV around XMAS 2005 was going for $1300 (I'm not sure if that included delivery).

As a result of the 48" HDTV being great, I got a second HDTV for my bedroom, a 30" Widescreen Samsung HD CRT to replace my 27" regular Sony TV for $700 including delivery on sale in 2004. While the picture was excellent, this was a bad mistake on my part because
    the 30" screen was too small, I made the mistake of assuming the 30" widescreen viewing area would be bigger then my 27" regular TV. An excellent conversion table courtesy of Cam the Man is at www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi?KeohiHDTV & I suggest anyone buying an HDTV under 42" uses that. Anyway I sold that for $475 & replaced it with a 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV, CT-34WX15 that is perfect for my bedroom in terms of the picture size & its cosmetic look. That cost me $1100 on sale at Circuit City including delivery and installation.

To me the difference in watching HDTV & regular TV is night and day. My HD service and receiver/tuner is provided for me at a minimal cost by my cable company. I also have 2 HD DVR's provided by my cable company and would have trouble functioning without them as I no longer watch live shows as the DVR lets me fast forward through them.

As an aside, I found watching 4:3 non HD shows on my 30" TV excruciating as the image was too small & grainy but they're fine on my 34" set. Also, DVD's look great on both HDTV's through regular progressive Scan Harmon Kardon DVD players & I can't imagine the picture looking any better on these upconvertors I hear people ask about but I've also never seen one either so I reserve judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardGein
    Anyway I sold that for $475 & replaced it with a 34" Panasonic Widescreen TV, CT-34WX15 that is perfect for my bedroom in terms of the picture size & its cosmetic look. That cost me $1100 on sale at Circuit City including delivery and installation.
    So how would you compare picture quality of Samsung and Panasonic, and how does Panasonic stack against your Mitsubishi Rear Projection?

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    So how would you compare picture quality of Samsung and Panasonic, and how does Panasonic stack against your Mitsubishi Rear Projection?
    The Panasonic 34" & the Samsung 30" HDTV's are a night and day difference. To begin with, one wouldn't think a 4" difference would make such a huge difference but it does. The actual HD picture of the Panasonic 34" is totally superior to that of the Samsung 30". The biggest difference is the 4:3 Picture on non HD broadcasts still is fantastic on the Panasonic 34" & looks big, glossy & defined while that same broadcast on the Samsung 30" would look way too small and grainy. I can't compare the sound as I listen through my receiver.

As far as the 48" Mitsubishi which is in my living room & the 34" Panasonic, as the Mitsubishi is a widescreen rear projection HD TV & the Panasonic is a widescreen
    CRT HDTV, its really hard to give a meaningful comparison other then maybe because of the Mitsubishi's 48" size, the effect of the picture seems more "3D" if that's a proper term, especially on a show like Lost. If I logistically could have put the 48" Mitsubishi in my bedroom, of course I would have preferred that but based on my bedrooms limitations the 34" Panasonic is perfect, especially as I'm about 9 1/2 feet from my bed. It rests on top of my dresser which faces the bed. I didn't have the budget to buy a plasma for the bedroom
    & I honestly didn't see the dollar justification in buying a good LCD for say $2,400 give or take over the Panasonic CRT.

I definately would recommend if someone doesn't have an HDTV & doesn't have an unlimited budget to definately get a big screen rear view HDTV for their living room as the prices for name brands have gone down tremendously. If it was a matter of chosing between a 52" rear projection HDTV over say a 34" LCD HDTV, I'd definately chose the 52" rear projection. I do think that you lose alot of the HD effect on any sets 30" or under. I'm not sure about the 32" sets but the 34" HDTV's are excellent.

I'd also only buy a name brand as someone here posted that if something goes wrong on an obscure brand, you may be up sheeps creek. I find reviews on CircuitCity.com are very dependable as opposed to Amazon.com as there are alot of reviews and they give things an overall rating in several areas. I really don't know other sites where there are multiple reviews by consumers. You might actually get some good feedback on potential TV's from this board. Someone warned me to stay away from Poloroid LCD's & I think it was pretty good advice.

Forum Regular
    Does anyone know why the RPTV's (like EdGein's Mits) prices are fairly low? Is it because the technology has been around for a while, unlike LCD, DLP, and Plasma?

I think this thread. I'm looking forward to hearing what others have paid for their HDTVs.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    I bought this projector almost 3yrs ago. Suggested retail was $9k. I am in the industry, so I got it whole sale for $6k and got this High Definition D-VHS free with the purchase!

Have you seen HD? Obviously you have not or you wouldn't be asking, because the picture quality (PQ) difference is night & day! Prices on HD ready sets are extremely affordable now, and the prices continue to drop.

If you haven't seen HD, do yourself a favor and go to your nearest CC, BB, or speciality retailer and do a side-by-side comparison and see the difference. Here is a good place to see some of the pricing for HDTV's.

So, the short answer is an emphatic YES. IMO HD is worth the price of admission!

Robert
    Projector: JVC DLA-SX21U (LCOS 1.5m Pixel)
    Lens: Panamorph PSO-SX21
    Screen: 133" 16:9
    AVR: Denon (Flagship) 5800
    LRC-Mains: Definitive Technology (Flagship) BP3000-TL
    Surrounds: Atlantic Technology (Flush-Mount) System 20eSR
    LFE-Subwoofer: Sunfire True Subwoofer
    HD Satellite / DVR: VIP DVR622 Receiver (30+ Hrs of HD)
    HD VCR: JVC SR-VD400US Pro D-VHS (True 1080i transmission via Component)

Dedicated Home Theater Specs & Pics

Forum Regular
    Robert- So, you're HD-VHS player plays tapes in HD? They must be special tapes, right? Just wondering because I never heard of that. If that's the case, is the quality as good as HD through your cable company or OTA?

Thanks.
    Eric

I paid near $2500 for my Sony 55" 4:3 HDTV a few years back. I love it. Not every broadcast is in HD but there are enough, and it's growing fast. My DVR includes a hard drive that will record and play back in HD. It's a lot like Tivo, but not.

Yes, it is worth it.

Next on the purchase list is a HD Sanyo projector 16:9 and a 119" screen.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z
    Robert- So, you're HD-VHS player plays tapes in HD? They must be special tapes, right? Just wondering because I never heard of that. If that's the case, is the quality as good as HD through your cable company or OTA?

Thanks.
    Eric
    Yes Eric, they are definately special tapes. Look here to see description. To be honest with you, I only buy and watch D-VHS movies. I never have recorded via the firewire. Because I have 2-HD 942 DVR's (50+ Hours of HD recording capability) I have more HD movies and viewing available than I can watch (that's a GOOD thing!).

All D-VHS movies are recorded 1080i. They are the absolute best PQ available. Recording with the HD DVR's is bit-for-bit rate. So, if the original broadcast is 720p or 1080i, the recording has no degrading of PQ from the original broadcast.

Hope this helps!
    Robert

Forum Regular
    Do you think the DVHS will be obsolete once HD-DVD/Blu-ray come around? Whenever the heck that would be.

Do you think the DVHS will be obsolete once HD-DVD/Blu-ray come around? Whenever the heck that would be.
    If you are using it for recording and archiving HD movies, I think it will be good to keep or maybe even purchase, but for my needs, it will be come obsolete. I will keep it to view my D-VHS movie collection, but I will not be adding to that collection. High Definition DVD (whichever format prevails) should make VHS , DVD, D-VHS obsolete in a matter of time! Of course that is assuming the technology doesn't leap-frog High Definition DVD and go directly to HD VOD?

The next few years are certainly going to be interesting for HD.....Yipeeeeee!

Robert

Suspended
    First of all let me say I don't think it's fair to dog anyone out because they haven't seen HD. Depending on the store, most do not have a good display of HD. I went to a Sears and they couldn't give me one of those they had displayed. At best, the mass merchants do a HD feed that is split several times which pretty much defeats the purpose. Also, many here and the merchants make people feel like they are missing something but in reality there isn't that much out there actually shown in HD. HD is still an expensive outlay. The HDTV's are coming down in price but the programming is still way over priced and no gain in channels has come out in quite some time. I am personally disgusted with how HD is being handled. We can already buy 1080p when nothing is broadcast or available with that high of resolution. The HDTVs have been on the market for how long now? Where's the programming? Of course, why hurry when there are those who are willing to pay premium dollars for a hand full of HD channels which only a fraction of that programming is true HD anyway?

With that being said I do agree that HD is a better picture and taking advantage of true Progressive Scan is worth the investment in a HDTV.

I have a Sony 32" widescreen that cost around $1,200.00. A comparable picture could be had cheaper with less features on the set. This is an amazing HDTV, I haven't seen a LCD or Plasma any better. The only advantage the extra thousands will get you is size. This Sony weighs about 86 lbs.

I also have a 61 or 62" Toshiba DLP which cost just under $4k. I hate to rain on the parade of those who claim the old tech rear projector HDTV's look as good, but that just isn't so. The DLP sets offer a sharpness and clarity you will never get from the old rear projectors. Here again, I feel as good as this DLP is, why would anyone pay the expense of a LCD or Plasma.

My mom bought a 52" old school rear projector Mitsubishi HDTV and she always comments on why does my TV look so much better when they are both HD. I just have to explain we went with two different technologies.

Forum Regular

One Warning When Buying or Viewing HDTV's in Chain Stores

Most of the Chain Stores as one of these posts implied, do not actually have HDTV broadcasts set up on their HDTVs or at least the HD Ready ones which is the majority so in all likelyhood what you are judging your purchase on or using to make a decision, is not an actual HDTV widescreen broadcast. I actually was originally against getting a widescreen simply because the numbskulls at Best Buy actually had 4:3 stretched non HD TV shows showing on their screens which were of course distorted & was lucky people repeatedly said to buy widescreen here.

If you are evaluating an HDTV for purchase/comparison, the best thing to do is go to a high end store that specializes in HDTV's as they will actually have true HDTV shows broadcast on their HDTV's in widescreen. If you then decide to buy, then check out the chain stores for the best price. Also, if you are planning to get your HDTV through your cable or satellite company, they will supply you with a tuner/receiver, so in all likelyhood your better of financially buying an HD Ready set as opposed to an HD Set with a built in tuner/receiver. In regards to Cable (I'm not sure about Satellite), they will rent you at minimal cost an HD DVR and there is no savings if you bought one yourself as they'd still charge the same for DVR service,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    ............in reality there isn't that much out there actually shown in HD....Where's the programming?
    Can you get Dish Network Satelite? They offer a TON of programming. Just look at today's HD line-up!

HD programming is still way over priced and no gain in channels has come out in quite some time.
    The current price for the HD-PAK is $10 per month. For that price you get:TNTHD, DSCHD (Discovery), HDNET, HDNET MOVIES, ESPNHD, HBOHD, SHOHD, DEMO CHANNEL, NFL & NBA Game of the week. That's about a buck ($1) month, per channel (less than 4-cents a day per channel!). In addition to the HD-PAK I pay $5 per month for 10 VOOM channels (that's 2-cents per day per channel!). You may want to reconsider your statement that HD programming is "way over priced". Let's not forget the "off-air" HD (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX & UHF). They are FREE! That totals nearly 30 HD channels! Also, Dish Network is adding 7 more Voom channels in the next few days.....with no increase in price (still only $5 per month!).
    ........why hurry when there are those who are willing to pay premium dollars for a hand full of HD channels
    Please see above.

Sounds like you just haven't been willing to cough-up the few bucks HD programming cost. It cost pennies per day, for LOTS of programming.

Robert

Forum Regular
    Great information, everyone- I'm feeling more and more motivated to take the leap! Now, how is the audio in the HD broadcasts? Is everything 5.1, or are some just like standard TV. I just think it would be interesting watching sports (my Bears or Cubs) in 5.1; do they have sports in 5.1?

I'm learning a lot- keep it coming!

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
    With a truckload of hundred thousand dollar bills
    Man came by to hook up my cable TV
    We settled in for the night my baby and me
    We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past dawn
    There was fifty-seven HD channels and nothin' on

Well now home entertainment was my baby's wish
    So I hopped into town for a satellite dish
    I tied it to the top of my Japanese car
    I came home and I pointed it out into the stars
    A message came back from the great beyond
    There's fifty-seven HD channels and nothin' on

Well we might'a made some friends with some billionaires
    We might'a got all nice and friendly
    If we'd made it upstairs
    All I got was a note that said "Bye-bye John
    Our love is fifty-seven channels and nothin' on"

TV just isn't worth $6K at any resolution. Apologies to Bruce.

Great information, everyone- I'm feeling more and more motivated to take the leap! Now, how is the audio in the HD broadcasts? Is everything 5.1, or are some just like standard TV. I just think it would be interesting watching sports (my Bears or Cubs) in 5.1; do they have sports in 5.1?

I'm learning a lot- keep it coming!
    Eric, to my knowledge all HD programming is 5.1 DD. For sure ALL sports are 5.1 DD. Crystal clear picture, true 5.1 surround. Get an Off-air antenna, sign-up for satelite, and buddy, you are "cooking"!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    TV just isn't worth $6K at any resolution.
    Remember, you are on a HOME THEATER forum. That means we have an interest in high PQ (picture quality). I understand if you are not interested in paying $6k for HOME THEATER PQ, but excuse me for saying, but you may be in the wrong forum. For a HT enthusist, $6k may be a bargain. It is all relative.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by robert393
    Remember, you are on a HOME THEATER forum. That means we have an interest in high PQ (picture quality). I understand if you are not interested in paying $6k for HOME THEATER PQ, but excuse me for saying, but you may be in the wrong forum. For a HT enthusist, $6k may be a bargain. It is all relative.

Robert
    $6K
    divided by 365 days a year
    diveded by a conservative 5 years
    equals $3.287 per day of pure entertainment.

Go to a movie:
    $10 a ticket times 2
    $5 a soda
    $5 for popcorn
    equals $30 for a few hours of entertainment

Go to a game:
    $30 a ticket times 2 (these are the cheep seats)
    $5 a beer
    $4 a hot dog
    Oh please, add this one up for me.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    [I]
    TV just isn't worth $6K at any resolution. Apologies to Bruce.
    Doesn't that depend on ones own judgement and perspective? It may not be worth $6k to you, but to Robert, and perhaps myself, it does. Especially when you consider that you are not just getting HDTV, but well done upscaled DVD picture(mine does professional quality upscaling to 1080P), and in some cases VERY good quality picture from SD sources. IMO (and just mine) $6k is just the starting block.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    $1700. 57" JVC about 3 years ago. I also got a nice pile of BB reward zone cert. back.

HD and DVR through Comcast cable, only $9.95 per month.

Worth every penny.

Forum Regular
    Am I correct to assume the $5 or $10 extra per month for HD everyone is talking about is on top of your current cable/satellite cost? Just wondering. I know I could look at Comcast or Wide Open West (cable companies in Chicagoland area) websites, but I really don't want to right now.

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Doesn't that depend on ones own judgement and perspective?...
    Yep. I gave mine.

But in the spirit of full disclosure I refuse to pay for expanded basic, digital cable, or movie options. I don't need HD for PBS or TWC. My TV viewing is 95% DVD. When DVD is HD I'll reconsider. My cable bill is less than $10 per month.

I paid $0, nadda, zilch, nothing for HDTV.

Do i miss it? No, haven't really seen much of HDTV except in audio/video stores. Still too expensive and not enough content to justify.

I have a 2001 Hitachi 50" 4:3 RPTV that works nicely for now. Although, if i was to watch a few games of NHL Center Ice in HDTV i'd probably be sold.

but, until then, i'm waiting another year or two for a dedicated HT in the basement and will go the HD projector route and hope there is more programming and less cost to play.

all in all, i'm playing the waiting game and getting more money out of my initial investment.

Am I correct to assume the $5 or $10 extra per month for HD everyone is talking about is on top of your current cable/satellite cost? Just wondering. I know I could look at Comcast or Wide Open West (cable companies in Chicagoland area) websites, but I really don't want to right now.
    yep, for comcast.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information