Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    horrible sound comming from rears on a 5.1 system

    Ok i was wondering if u guys could help me, as im sure im going crazy for a simple mistake.....

    I have a 5.1 logitech system, i forget what model, but i have a 10' sub.

    Anyways, i hook up the sub, center, front left and rights as soon as i got it. Everything sounds amazing. Then i decided about 2 months later, to hook up the left and right rears.
    I run wire through the attic, make some splices, drill holes in walls ect....

    After all this hard work, i hook them up and the rears sound horrible. They sound very "tin can like" and cut in and out. I tried reversing wires thinking i had just hooked something up backwards, but to luck. I tried fiddling with the computer settings...looks like a realtek driver? not sure but thats what pops up when i go to configure the speakers and test each one. What the heck am i doing wrong here? Or maybe its just that i can't listen to music with surround sound on? do i have to keep it in stereo?

    any help would be great

  2. #2
    way up in Canada eh f0rge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    413
    well my first thoughts are problems with the wires somewhere along the line.

    try hooking up the front speakers to the rear output and see if you get the same problem. if not then it's the wires. if yes then it's either the source or the amp.

  3. #3
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by dante gambino
    Ok i was wondering if u guys could help me, as im sure im going crazy for a simple mistake.....

    I have a 5.1 logitech system, i forget what model, but i have a 10' sub.

    Anyways, i hook up the sub, center, front left and rights as soon as i got it. Everything sounds amazing. Then i decided about 2 months later, to hook up the left and right rears.
    I run wire through the attic, make some splices, drill holes in walls ect....

    After all this hard work, i hook them up and the rears sound horrible. They sound very "tin can like" and cut in and out. I tried reversing wires thinking i had just hooked something up backwards, but to luck. I tried fiddling with the computer settings...looks like a realtek driver? not sure but thats what pops up when i go to configure the speakers and test each one. What the heck am i doing wrong here? Or maybe its just that i can't listen to music with surround sound on? do i have to keep it in stereo?

    any help would be great
    Hi dante, welcome. (Your name makes me a little nervous so I'll be as helpful as I can )

    Now, you say you have a Logitech 5.1 speaker set. I have the Logitech Z5500 speakers connected to a Soundblaster Audigy sound card in my computer. When you say the realtek driver I assume you're using the integrated audio in your PC. My first suggestion would be to upgrade to a new sound card. If your computer's motherboard has PCI slots, go that route. Creative makes excellent soundcards and are always a good value for the money. Next I would suggest that you realize computer speakers with their existing wire, which is not a very heavy gauge, could very well be the reason they're not sounding good. Have you moved all 6 speakers into the other room? How long is the speaker wire run?

  4. #4
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Hi dante, welcome. (Your name makes me a little nervous so I'll be as helpful as I can )

    Now, you say you have a Logitech 5.1 speaker set. I have the Logitech Z5500 speakers connected to a Soundblaster Audigy sound card in my computer. When you say the realtek driver I assume you're using the integrated audio in your PC. My first suggestion would be to upgrade to a new sound card. If your computer's motherboard has PCI slots, go that route. Creative makes excellent soundcards and are always a good value for the money. Next I would suggest that you realize computer speakers with their existing wire, which is not a very heavy gauge, could very well be the reason they're not sounding good. Have you moved all 6 speakers into the other room? How long is the speaker wire run?

    Rich is right except you need an external sound card, either that or a USB dac.
    I have an external usb creative, only cost 39 bucks, and is quite nice.
    Theres a lot of electronic "hash" in a computer, need your card outta there
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  5. #5
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659

    I don't know computers but here's my take on this.

    There may be nothing wrong at all! What you describes sounds to me like the normal operation of a surround speaker. And, remember, two channel music has NO intentional surround content. If anything they should be silent with a two channel source unless you use one of the fudged DSP processors.

    If your source allows. can you send a stereo signal to ALL channels? Receivers call this 5 or 6 channel stereo or something like that and it will send a fairly constant, level signal to all speakers. Dunno about how you access this on a 'puter. If this doesn't show them working, then i'm outta ideas.

    Before you get all hot and bothered and start tearing out wires and buying new hardware, see how the system sounds with playing a DVD with heavy surround material. A few good explosions or gunfights should wake those buggers up.

    Surrounds, when working properly with most movies, are not a constant source of sound. You can't think of these channels as if they are another pair of stereo (or front) speakers which produce a fairly steady level of sound on a regular basis. They only supply occasional ambiance noises or some background music most of the time. Rarely do they contribute much to the overall sound aside from sound effects.

    Then again, you could always rule out the wiring by connecting them directly to the amp via shorter wires not run in the walls to isolate the problem.
    Last edited by markw; 05-07-2008 at 06:51 AM.

  6. #6
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Rich is right except you need an external sound card, either that or a USB dac.
    I have an external usb creative, only cost 39 bucks, and is quite nice.
    Theres a lot of electronic "hash" in a computer, need your card outta there

    agreed, although with my Creative Audigy 2 I haven't really had problems with RFI from the pc...

    my nephew, with his standard onboard soundcard on the other hand

    keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  7. #7
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    The analog jack on my laptop sounds horrible. There's a huge amount of noise.
    Markw is quite right about the surrounds.

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Well, you don't "need" an external soundcard, it's nice to have although I don't know that I'd spend $39 bucks for a QUALITY external card, but IMO the OP should start with the simple fixes first.

    Truthfully though, I don't think I'd use computer speakers in my main listening area in the first place, but that's just me.

  9. #9
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Well, you don't "need" an external soundcard, it's nice to have although I don't know that I'd spend $39 bucks for a QUALITY external card, but IMO the OP should start with the simple fixes first.

    Truthfully though, I don't think I'd use computer speakers in my main listening area in the first place, but that's just me.
    Ever since I HAVE GOTTEN INTO COMPUTERS I have been trying to pump the sound into my main system in order to get away from "computer speakers".
    A CHEAP RECEIVER AND set of cheap speakers will blow away the best computer speakers.
    Now if you're married to the idea, BOSE (darth vader theme song in the background)
    has an exelent line of such called media mate
    I had a pair, hooked up to the computer, and they sounded great on an mp3 player also.
    Now they have some with a sub and surrounds.
    I hate Bose ( who that has ears doesnt?) but they do some things right.
    Like 500 dollar clock radios, and computer speakers.
    AND these guys

    http://www.audio-magus.com/


    Also have great solutions, but almost anything will blow logitec outta the water
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  10. #10
    Forum Regular audio amateur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,523
    The logitech Z5500 system is pretty good for the price in my opinion.

  11. #11
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Also have great solutions, but almost anything will blow logitec outta the water
    I think a whole helluva lot more info from the OP is needed before anyone can seriously help out.

  12. #12
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I think a whole helluva lot more info from the OP is needed before anyone can seriously help out.
    doncha just love those drive-by posters who throw a piece of meat into the water just to watch the gators fight over it?

    my philosophy: State your opinion once and let others have their say but don't bother arguing with each other. If the OP comes back with more info, then re-evaluate the situation.

  13. #13
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    doncha just love those drive-by posters who throw a piece of meat into the water just to watch the gators fight over it?
    Yeah, just lovely.

    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    my philosophy: State your opinion once and let others have their say but don't bother arguing with each other. If the OP comes back with more info, then re-evaluate the situation.
    Agreed. But you know pix.

  14. #14
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    Yeah, just lovely.


    Agreed. But you know pix.

    wHAT "MORE INFO" do you need?
    THE GUYS GOT A SET OF CRAP COMPUTER SPEAKERS, and is wondering why they stink on ice.
    Surround speakers for computers are local area speakers, you put two behind you and two in front, etc, they wont provide you with room filling sound anymore than a
    FORD FOCUS will break the sound barrier.
    Simple as that really.
    YOU want to fill a room with surround sound you need the gear, or at least a HTIB,
    although HTIB's that I have heard will barely provide enough gas to fill a bathroom with sound.
    The truth hurts, but you cant cross the country on a hang glider, computer speakers are fine for what they are, BUT THEY AINT MUCH
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  15. #15
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    6,777
    The point is pix, this is a dead thread. It's like Mark said, so there's no need to waste energy and emotion on it.

  16. #16
    Suspended markw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Noo Joisey. Youse got a problem wit dat?
    Posts
    4,659
    As with many one-post-wonders. he probably got what he wanted and moved on with nary a thank you for all who tried to help him.

  17. #17
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    As with many one-post-wonders. he probably got what he wanted and moved on with nary a thank you for all who tried to help him.

    But others can learn from this thread.
    how many clueless people come onto this forum to ask about friggin computer speakers?
    They need to be told that they are wasting their time and others.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •