Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4

    Help with receiver trouble

    This might be a pretty stupid question, but I wanted to get a straight answer on it.

    Here's the deal, I've got a Denon AVR-1601 receiver with SEA 4.0 series speakers. A few weeks ago the front right speaker started getting really staticky, and then stopped putting out a signal all together except for a low buzzing that's the same no matter what the volume the receiver is at. This happened for about a day or two, and then everything was back to normal. Last night, however, it cut out again and hasn't come back.
    My question is, is the channel output on the receiver just dead? Or is there some other potential problem?
    Is there anything that I can do to fix it? (bring it into a repair shop...perhaps fix it myself, I have a reasonable amount of experience tinkering with electronics..soldering etc, just not much with audio equipment).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular Monstrous Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by jstultz
    This might be a pretty stupid question, but I wanted to get a straight answer on it.

    Here's the deal, I've got a Denon AVR-1601 receiver with SEA 4.0 series speakers. A few weeks ago the front right speaker started getting really staticky, and then stopped putting out a signal all together except for a low buzzing that's the same no matter what the volume the receiver is at. This happened for about a day or two, and then everything was back to normal. Last night, however, it cut out again and hasn't come back.
    My question is, is the channel output on the receiver just dead? Or is there some other potential problem?
    Is there anything that I can do to fix it? (bring it into a repair shop...perhaps fix it myself, I have a reasonable amount of experience tinkering with electronics..soldering etc, just not much with audio equipment).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Have you tried using different DSP modes like Stereo or Mono vs. ProLogic? Have you switched speakers to make sure it isn't the speaker? Are you sure the speaker wire is connected tightly?

    My guess would be that either the amp for that channel is bad or the digital signal processor is bad.
    Friends help friends move,
    Good friends help friends move bodies....

  3. #3
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    Yes to all three questions. Still no dice.

    So if it were one of those two problems, I'm assuming it wouldn't be something I could fix, eh?

  4. #4
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by jstultz
    Yes to all three questions. Still no dice.

    So if it were one of those two problems, I'm assuming it wouldn't be something I could fix, eh?
    You are most likely assuming correctly that this is NOT something that you can "fix" yourself. If the problem is to be resolved, it probably can only be accomplished in a service shop (by a competent technician). Unfortunately, your problem could fall into the category of an "intermittent", which increases the difficulty greatly. The fact that it occurred - then resolved itself is NOT a good sign. The best you can hope for is for the problem to become permanent, which will improve the chances of getting it repaired successfully. Intermittent problems can be an absolute ***** to solve, and if your receiver is suffering such a problem, you might be better off replacing it.

    Good luck.
    woodman

    I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

  5. #5
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by woodman
    You are most likely assuming correctly that this is NOT something that you can "fix" yourself. If the problem is to be resolved, it probably can only be accomplished in a service shop (by a competent technician). Unfortunately, your problem could fall into the category of an "intermittent", which increases the difficulty greatly. The fact that it occurred - then resolved itself is NOT a good sign. The best you can hope for is for the problem to become permanent, which will improve the chances of getting it repaired successfully. Intermittent problems can be an absolute ***** to solve, and if your receiver is suffering such a problem, you might be better off replacing it.

    Good luck.
    So, then, a few questions. Any idea of a ballpark of how much it would cost to get it fixed it it WAS a permanent problem?

    Second, if I were to replace my receiver, any recommendations for a good match to the quality of my speakers?

  6. #6
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by jstultz
    So, then, a few questions. Any idea of a ballpark of how much it would cost to get it fixed it it WAS a permanent problem?

    Second, if I were to replace my receiver, any recommendations for a good match to the quality of my speakers?
    It's very difficult to come with even a "ballpark" estimate of a repair cost - there are a ton of variables. It could cost as little as $80-90, or it could run up to $150 or even more.

    As far as a replacement unit - I recommend a Yamaha over all other brands because of their superior reliability, performance, and customer support from the company.
    woodman

    I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

  7. #7
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    Any specific recommendations given my speakers? I don't want to get a receiver that's not going to do justice to the speakers, and I also don't want to get something that's going to be overkill and I won't be able to hear the difference.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    1,188
    First try swapping the left and right speaker cables AT THE RECEIVER END. If the same speaker doesn't play, then there is a problem with the speaker or the speaker cable. If this is the case, to determine which it is, swap speaker cables at the speaker end. If the same speaker doesn't play, it's the speaker. If the other speaker doesn't play, it's the cable. Check for strands of wire which may be shorted and look along the length of the cable for places it may be cut or abraded.

    If the problem is with the receiver, use a pair of audio jumper cables and feed the left tape output to the right tape monitor input and the right tape output to the left monitor input. Switch the receiver to monitor. If the same speaker is out, the problem is in the power amplifier stage or in the preamp stage beyond the monitor switch. If the opposite speaker is out, it is in the preamp stage ahead of the monitor switch. If there are preamp outputs and power amplifier inputs on this receiver with jumpers, remove the jumpers and do the same with crossing the channels with a set of audio jumpers. this will tell you if the problem is with the preamp or power amp stage.

    Set the preamp controls to monophonic and see if this makes a difference. Try reversing the input jacks to see if the problem is in the source. Does this happen with the radio tuner too? Try other high level inputs for your cd player such as aux or tape. Check your audio cables and replace them if necessary. Be sure the connections are tight. Try flexing them at each end where they connect to the jack with the volume control turned down to see if they are making intermittent connection.

    Be sure to turn off your receiver before making any connection changes and check to be certain all connections are secure before turning it back on. Start with the volume control almost all the way down each time you turn it back on to avoid any overload problems and damage.

    Here's some good news. Because the problem is intermittent, you do not have a blown power amplifier.

    Good luck.

  9. #9
    ride a jet ski Tarheel_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    661
    if your receiver has front pre-out connections, purchase a nice new/used 2 channel amp. Although, you may need to test the pre-outs prior to purchasing...maybe borrow a friend's or use an older receiver if you have one.

  10. #10
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    82

    If its an electronics problem....its a goner....

    Not worth fixing at todays repair costs.....I have a Denon 1602 and better receivers can be had for 240.000 now.....but first......go to Radio shack and buy some tuner spray(approx 4.00, per can) ...turn off power and spray into non working receiver speaker output on receiver using the little spray straw with a paper towel beneath to catch the excess....then, make sure speaker cable end not oxidized or corroded (cut an inch or so off to make sure)....reconnect and see if you get sound.If you still have a problem, and the problem occurs only with one source, ie cd, try spraying the hell out of that button....nothing to lose since you certainly would not want to invest over 100.00 in a 3 or 4 year old lower end model that can be replace for about 150.00 today.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    60

    Intermittent Receiver Problem

    First thing is you have to determine the "value" of your Denon receiver on todays market. Sentimental attachments should not apply as this is a lower end Denon. Next, play the thing alot. It is difficult to diagnois an intermittent problem since it may not cut out on the tech's bench. And you don't want him sitting around waiting for it to cut out.

    I use 2 places where I live. 1 guy is only good on older equipment or with amplifiers and he is semi-retired now. He only charges IF he can repair the problem. He is very reasonable and calls to give you parts prices. He's a great old timer. You pay for parts and usually $30 for his time and labor. Cash.

    The other place is more like a corporate warranty center and they repair virtually everything and have 4 locations. They charge a flat $30 to diagnois the problem, but if its real simple, no charge on that. For medium repairs its a flat $50 plus parts. For major repairs its a flat $90 plus parts. They tell me most receiver repairs are in the $50 range and being caps or transistors.

    You have to figure out if its more cost effective to repair it or not. Hope this helps.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BUYING A New AV Receiver? Let me help and so can you!!
    By nick4433 in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 12:28 PM
  2. is this receiver underpowered?!!!.....suggestions...
    By CyberStoic in forum General Audio
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 07:51 PM
  3. Question regarding SACD connections
    By Tyler in forum General Audio
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 05:03 PM
  4. Bypassing the Receiver...Help!
    By rkarkada in forum Home Theater/Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •