Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Suspended

Heard/Saw the Marantz AV8003 processor today

That's right, the AV8003 processor and MM8003 multichannel power amp have hit the street.

http://us.marantz.com/products/2317.asp

I saw the complete package today, both pieces with the Marantz Blu-ray player BD8002. http://us.marantz.com/Products/2393.asp

They were driving all Martin Logan in-walls with one of their mongo subs. The bad thing about systems like this you can never really compare apples to apples. Even if you brought it home and went through the trouble of setting it up you'd still have to go from memory as to what your old system sounded like. I have to say the system was impressive and far beyond what an A/V receiver could ever do. From what I'm told the ML in-walls aren't the easiest speaker to drive and this MM8003 drove this system without the slightest trouble. We watched a bit of 10,000 BC and then a BR Jazz Legends sampler. The Jazz music was where I was the most impressed. The sound was audiophile like, not at all sounding like coming from an A/V system. From Marcus Miller's bass to Chic Corea, the sound was incredible. So one can assume that both pieces are over achievers. I'm convinced this gear will be a hot item and garner Marantz a new respect in making high quality audio gear. Actually, the first prediction is a bit of a fudge since Marantz has sold most of this gear as soon as it hit the street. I plan to place my order for the AV8003 and it will take a minimum of 3 weeks to get one. The BR player I understand is even more back ordered. You could possibly get lucky and find a dealer who had the money to bring in a larger inventory who might still have something. Once I get one and hook it up in my system I'll be able to tell more about it. I've had an Arcam and my current Primare, so the 8003 will have big shoes to fill.

The BR player has an impressive build quality and the picture was stunning but unfortunately they had nothing there to compare it to. With the build and Realto chip set it will have to still perform something more to warrant $2k, in my book anyway.

As a side note those wanting a Blu-ray movie to show your system off should buy 10,000 BC. My vision isn't good enough to give you a videophile critique but I can tell you on a good system when the Mammoths come your house will be shaking and quaking. On Lossless the bass is like nothing I've heard in a soundtrack to date. I could not find in the movie menu where to set the audio. We had to use the audio button on the remote to toggle through the choices. I thought that a bit odd.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That's right, the AV8003 processor and MM8003 multichannel power amp have hit the street.

I saw the complete package today, both pieces with the Marantz Blu-ray player BD8002. http://us.marantz.com/Products/2393.asp

They were driving all Martin Logan in-walls with one of their mongo subs. The bad thing about systems like this you can never really compare apples to apples. Even if you brought it home and went through the trouble of setting it up you'd still have to go from memory as to what your old system sounded like. I have to say the system was impressive and far beyond what an A/V receiver could ever do. From what I'm told the ML in-walls aren't the easiest speaker to drive and this MM8003 drove this system without the slightest trouble. We watched a bit of 10,000 BC and then a BR Jazz Legends sampler. The Jazz music was where I was the most impressed. The sound was audiophile like, not at all sounding like coming from an A/V system. From Marcus Miller's bass to Chic Corea, the sound was incredible. So one can assume that both pieces are over achievers. I'm convinced this gear will be a hot item and garner Marantz a new respect in making high quality audio gear. Actually, the first prediction is a bit of a fudge since Marantz has sold most of this gear as soon as it hit the street. I plan to place my order for the AV8003 and it will take a minimum of 3 weeks to get one. The BR player I understand is even more back ordered. You could possibly get lucky and find a dealer who had the money to bring in a larger inventory who might still have something. Once I get one and hook it up in my system I'll be able to tell more about it. I've had an Arcam and my current Primare, so the 8003 will have big shoes to fill.

The BR player has an impressive build quality and the picture was stunning but unfortunately they had nothing there to compare it to. With the build and Realto chip set it will have to still perform something more to warrant $2k, in my book anyway.

As a side note those wanting a Blu-ray movie to show your system off should buy 10,000 BC. My vision isn't good enough to give you a videophile critique but I can tell you on a good system when the Mammoths come your house will be shaking and quaking. On Lossless the bass is like nothing I've heard in a soundtrack to date. I could not find in the movie menu where to set the audio. We had to use the audio button on the remote to toggle through the choices. I thought that a bit odd.
    More and more is going remote only.
    I HATE looking at Marantz stuff, because its exactly what I want, and cant afford right now, what I have heard of theirs sounds absoutely amazing.
    Time to check out the penny jar...
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Ajani

Glad you enjoyed the Marantz combo... The features are spectacular... it is even a network music player (essentially a Squeezbox).... which is exactly the direction music is going now.... and should help to make it a big hit... Though it is still out of the reach of most mortals ($5K for the combo is not cheap, though knowing Marantz it's probably more than worth it)...

Also, even though Marantz doesn't get nearly enough amp reviews in North America... everytime they get one (that I've read anyway) it's a very favourable review... Marantz is probably my most admired brand, simply because I really like a brand that can cater to all price levels and somehow produce quality products at each price range... Check out the European reviews and you'll see that they get 5 out of 5 star reviews from their $600 Integrated amp all the way up to their $15K pair of monoblocks!!! How many companies can (or even would) produce high quality gear from $600 to $23,000??? Not to mention that they produce by 2 channel and HT.... Pretty impressive I think...

Suspended
    I know a guy who moved here from the West coast who has a Marantz Reference system and he says it's awesome stuff. I'd like to hear it. Now that you mention it they do have an extremely broad line.

This is why I love the summer...well, in addition to the scantily clad femmes frolicking around town. The new toys all hit the scene, and it looks like Marantz has finally arrived to stake it's claim.

At least on paper I like everything about the AV8003, except the price tag. Sucks to be on a budget.

In fact, I wonder if the MM8003 is really worth it's $2.5K...wait, let me restate that: I wonder if you can find a better multi-channel amp that outperforms the MM8003 for less.

All petty nitpicking aside, let us know how the things performs when you get that sucker unwrapped.
    *Panasonic 60" Plasma HDTV
    *Marantz AV7005
    *Marantz MM7055
    *Oppo Digital BDP-95
    *Silverline Audio Sonatina MK II
    *Silverline Center Stage
    *Silverline Audio SR11
    *SVS SB12

http://www.panasonic.com
    http://www.marantz.com
    http://www.oppodigital.com
    http://www.silverlineaudio.com
    http://www.svsound.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssJazz
    This is why I love the summer...well, in addition to the scantily clad femmes frolicking around town. The new toys all hit the scene, and it looks like Marantz has finally arrived to stake it's claim.

At least on paper I like everything about the AV8003, except the price tag. Sucks to be on a budget.

In fact, I wonder if the MM8003 is really worth it's $2.5K...wait, let me restate that: I wonder if you can find a better multi-channel amp that outperforms the MM8003 for less.

All petty nitpicking aside, let us know how the things performs when you get that sucker unwrapped.

Heres a competitor, there are both integra and onkyo models,
    and you can find the Onkyo for 1100 or so, the Integra a little more

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...=Separates&p=i
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Suspended
    If anyone has followed my threads here on AR they know I am an Onkyo advocate but I have serious doubts the Onkyo/Integra processor or amp is in the same league as this new Marantz stuff.

Some one commented on the price, and it's true that $2.5k for a processor isn't "Average Joe's" A/V budget, but in A/V processors there's not much out there cheaper and to perform well with all the features of the AV8003 is quite a feat.

If anyone turns up reviews on this stuff, post us a link.

Cool

If anyone has followed my threads here on AR they know I am an Onkyo advocate but I have serious doubts the Onkyo/Integra processor or amp is in the same league as this new Marantz stuff.

Some one commented on the price, and it's true that $2.5k for a processor isn't "Average Joe's" A/V budget, but in A/V processors there's not much out there cheaper and to perform well with all the features of the AV8003 is quite a feat.

When I first got into this you couldnt get a pre-pro for less than 2500
    bucks, sherwood had a cheapie for 999$.
    Then Outlaw came out with theirs, a nice one that was outdated almost the day the specs got firmed.
    then the Onkyo/integra twins, and now your MARANTZ, which, while pricey, is rather reasonable in the prepro world.
    Nice to see some affordable options in this field.
    Cant wait for a review
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Here you go Mr.P

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969706

I suggest you start at the back. The first few threads are all about the Marantz before it hit the street. Once it did hit the streets the reviews started from the consumers. A few did compare the two {Marantz/Integra,Onkyo}and most seem to think the Marantz is a bit better.

Kal Rubinson one of the reviewers of stereophile has been watching the thead closely. I asked him if he was going to do a review in his "Music in the Round" articl and he said no. But he did review the Intergra pre/pro and he gave it a very good review.

frenchmon

Suspended
    fwiw, that thread was long. Some good info though. Glad I stayed with it because I was getting a bit worried with that guy who was having the issues which turned out not to be related to the 8003 itself.

fwiw, that thread was long. Some good info though. Glad I stayed with it because I was getting a bit worried with that guy who was having the issues which turned out not to be related to the 8003 itself.

Yeah...for the most part, the guys that are having problems with the 8003 is due to the fact that they are not reading the instructions on how to connect and operate it. Every one is an expert at connecting and operating new gear. But overal it seems this thing is a step up from the Integra.

frenchmon

Cool

IT WOULD SEEM THAT the Marantz is better than the Integra/Onkyo combo, the question is does that justify the extra price?
    And no phono stage ?
    GOLLY
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    IT WOULD SEEM THAT the Marantz is better than the Integra/Onkyo combo, the question is does that justify the extra price?
    And no phono stage ?
    GOLLY

I would say that the thousands who have bought it testify that it was worth it.

frenchmon

Suspended
    The only way to know if it's justified is to be able to listen to both and, even then, each would have to make up their own mind if it's worth it to them.

One guy went for a Krell to the 8003. I'm sure it's just to get the new features but I'd sure love to hear what he had to say on sound quality difference. Some day down the road I'll have to give a full report.

The only way to know if it's justified is to be able to listen to both and, even then, each would have to make up their own mind if it's worth it to them.

One guy went for a Krell to the 8003. I'm sure it's just to get the new features but I'd sure love to hear what he had to say on sound quality difference. Some day down the road I'll have to give a full report.

Well from what I have heard from those who have it, they say the sound is outstanding. Some even says it blows the Integra away.

frenchmon

Mr. Peabody....when you receive the gear...will you do a review for us? I may be in the market for something similar soon. at least for the processor...probably go another direction and get a used 7 channel amp in the $1500 range.

Suspended
    I will definitely post some stuff when I get it and hooked up for a bit. I don't know if they are really that hard to get or just my dealer can't get one. They estimate some time in August. I put $500.00 down and my name is on the list.

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Hey Mr. P hope you're getting a great price. There are a half a dozen places online that say they have it in stock for $2599. I hate waiting for things. I've been waiting since April for my speaker stands. I've spent my stands money twice already. First on a new turntable, then I saved up again and spent it on a new surge protector for all of my gear.
    Is the 8003 going to serve as your pre/pro?

Suspended
    The 8003 will be taking the place of my Primare. It has big shoes to fill but I will welcome some of the updated features.

Hey Mr.Peabody.

I found an Adcom 5400 in the pawnshop for $179.00 It looks great and in very good condition. Is that a good deal, and how do they sound? Thinking about going back to get it.

frenchmon

Suspended
    The 5400 new was about $599.00, 125x2 into 8 ohms. They were a good value new and a great deal for $180.00 in good condition. The 5400 has good bass, I observe a bit of a midbass hump, the highs are extended and may seem bright to some but a lot of that will depend on associated gear as well. Bright but not fatiguing. I drove a pair of Dynaudio Audience 60's with mine so it has some juice. Compared to higher end amps one could criticize but for the price point it was at, not much, if anything could beat it.

Suspended
    Got my AV8003 today. I unboxed it but won't hook it up until this weekend. I want to look at the manual and have time to deal with it.

Performance will be the real importance but the feel coming out of the box is not so impressive. I'm more used to higher end gear though. My 31.7 is built like a tank. My Krell and CJ gear are all sturdy to the feel. The AV8003 is mostly plastic on front and flimsy metal cabinet like a receiver would have. I hate to diss it before even hooking power to it but it is, what it is. We also have to keep in mind this piece isn't priced like the prior mentioned brands.

The guys at the store said it is easy to set up but as I look at the 1/2 inch thick manual and hoping it's a lot of pictures or larger print or includes multi language........ oh well, you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Once I have a feel for the set up and performance I'll write but probably start a separate post.

Got my AV8003 today. I unboxed it but won't hook it up until this weekend. I want to look at the manual and have time to deal with it.

Performance will be the real importance but the feel coming out of the box is not so impressive. I'm more used to higher end gear though. My 31.7 is built like a tank. My Krell and CJ gear are all sturdy to the feel. The AV8003 is mostly plastic on front and flimsy metal cabinet like a receiver would have. I hate to diss it before even hooking power to it but it is, what it is. We also have to keep in mind this piece isn't priced like the prior mentioned brands.

The guys at the store said it is easy to set up but as I look at the 1/2 inch thick manual and hoping it's a lot of pictures or larger print or includes multi language........ oh well, you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Once I have a feel for the set up and performance I'll write but probably start a separate post.
    Some of the guys at the other forum said the same thing about the feel of it and the placstic. But they also said once they got it all hooked up, you forget about the feel and plastic, by the outstanding performance. Lets hope your experience is the same. Some of the guys where having handshaking problems through HDMI. Lets hope you have no such problems.

I suppose Marantz was trying to keep the price down a bit by the plastic and cheap metal. $2500.00 is nice coin.

The plastic is a first for Marantz. The Reference series which is aluminum and copper looks expensive.

Can't wait to see your report.

frenchmon

AR Newbie Registered Member
    I'm looking to possibly replace my McIntosh MX-119 with the AV8003. My biggest concern is the quality of the DACs for when I use my PC music server.

Looking forward to your impressions,
    Mike

Suspended
    I did a down and dirty manual set up Friday night because I was anxious to see how it sounded. I really hate to post impressions this soon, I still need to meter and there may be some burn in time, I hope it needs some burn in. Also, my only comparison is to the 31.7 which had an original retail of $4k. What I think so far is the AV8003 is probably a competent preamp for the money and it sure is loaded with features, however, at this point, I am not convinced it is a "giant killer". I'm still hopeful though it can sound better. When I auditioned it the sound quality certainly seemed good. It's not that it's bad in my system but it doesn't seem to have the dynamic range of the 31.7 nor does it image as well, like make the speakers disappear. I measured for the speaker set up but the sound still seems more intimate than with the 31.7. The fact that it sounds like a dynamics issue leads me to believe it may indeed need a bit more play time on it.

On a really positive note I noticed both a video and audio improvement from my Dishnet receiver using the HDMI through the AV8003. The video improvement was a total surprise. I was using a HDMI switcher before but I hadn't noticed any degradation when it was inserted. The audio I was hoping for, I think the Dishnet receiver has an inferior optical output. I had two receivers so far and neither sounded very good from optical out. Using the HDMI I had noticeably better rear effects from HD channels like Sci Fi, TNT and A&E. Those were just the ones showing anything at the time that featured any rear info.

One other consideration I'm thinking about too I was using my 31.7 multichannel analog input with a Blu-ray. This was a much better presentation than I ever got using optical or coaxial inputs. So my comparison isn't exactly A/B on the DAC section.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information