Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm late to the game too, but that's only because I don't like you. Just kidding!

A couple of things albiet probably a moot point now:

There has been some discussion on the AVS forums about a certain line of 2010 Panny Plasma's that have an issue with what they're calling "floating blacks", which seems to manifest itself when a particular feature of the TV is active (don't remember the name of the feature, sounds gimmicky in any event) That discussion is part of, as usual, a very long thread that probably describes it, but I didn't read into it that far. Maybe Wooch or Sir T can elaborate.

The other thing is, I have a problem with my Oppo 980 where, after I've played one SACD and then load another, the disk plays but there's no audio. This has been a problem since day one; there are no s/w upgrades that address this, so I'm left with cycling power as the only means of getting the audio back. I should've called Oppo, but I didn't really feel like dealing with shipping and all that. Plus, I have maybe four SACD's anyway. Your problem with your Oppo though sounds like it was pretty much a fatal event, so take it FWIW. Anyway, welcome to HDTV Bill, especially with that Plasma. Very good choice overall.
    TMI TMI!

Worf, do you drool in your sleep? I do. I go through a LOT of pillows.

Rich I dont think your statment is correct?? Can you please axplain yourself?

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    I'm late to the game too, but that's only because I don't like you. Just kidding!

A couple of things albiet probably a moot point now:

There has been some discussion on the AVS forums about a certain line of 2010 Panny Plasma's that have an issue with what they're calling "floating blacks", which seems to manifest itself when a particular feature of the TV is active (don't remember the name of the feature, sounds gimmicky in any event) That discussion is part of, as usual, a very long thread that probably describes it, but I didn't read into it that far. Maybe Wooch or Sir T can elaborate.

The other thing is, I have a problem with my Oppo 980 where, after I've played one SACD and then load another, the disk plays but there's no audio. This has been a problem since day one; there are no s/w upgrades that address this, so I'm left with cycling power as the only means of getting the audio back. I should've called Oppo, but I didn't really feel like dealing with shipping and all that. Plus, I have maybe four SACD's anyway. Your problem with your Oppo though sounds like it was pretty much a fatal event, so take it FWIW. Anyway, welcome to HDTV Bill, especially with that Plasma. Very good choice overall.
    TMI TMI!

Worf, do you drool in your sleep? I do. I go through a LOT of pillows.
    The floating blacks issue is called contrast management, and it is part of the processing within the set. I do not see a problem with this, as the feature is also on my professional Sony Monitor. It is describe in this way on the brochure:

Original Panasonic technology optimizes the contrast by matching it to
    the images in each scene. Instead of losing gradation by making part
    of the image too bright or too dark, this new technology applies just the
    right amount of contrast correction for each part of the scene. The
    result brings natural beauty to all parts of the scene.

It may or may not bug some folks, but calibrating the set seems to reduce its effects. If you keep the contrast lowered, it is also less of an issue. Using the cinema setting also reduces its effect, so there are ways around this if it becomes bothersome.

This would not stop me from buying this set.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

[QUOTE=Feanor]Rich, fortunately I haven't see the 'floating blacks' problem -- touch wood.

A bottle of tequila helps you spot this problem.
    Especially if you eat the worm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information