Forum Regular

Fixed versus Variable TV/DVR Sound

Can someone please explain what the difference in audio quality will be when watching a TV show live or on my DVR if the sound quality on my TV or DVR is set at fixed instead of variable. I understand that at fixed, my volume won't rocket up at commercials, which is what I want, but will this also affect the regular sound of the (digital) cable TV broadcast? Any info appreciated. Thanks

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    I'm sure there is some difference in audio quality. However, I myself have never noticed any obvious difference, except for the benefit of better volume matching between different shows and commercials. I feel any difference in sound quality is far outweighed by this benefit.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

Forum Regular
    On some of our satellite decoders, we also have 'fixed' and 'variable' audio out.

The difference, from what I've always understood, is that 'fixed' give a fixed rate of sound out, and is not effected by mute or volume controls on the satellite box. The 'variable' IS effected by the mute and volume controls used on the sat box.

What I do is take 'fixed' to a recordring device (incase anyone presses mute while I record) and take 'variable' to the amplifier (so I can mute/volume on the sat box without touching the amp control)

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby
    On some of our satellite decoders, we also have 'fixed' and 'variable' audio out.

The difference, from what I've always understood, is that 'fixed' give a fixed rate of sound out, and is not effected by mute or volume controls on the satellite box. The 'variable' IS effected by the mute and volume controls used on the sat box.

What I do is take 'fixed' to a recordring device (incase anyone presses mute while I record) and take 'variable' to the amplifier (so I can mute/volume on the sat box without touching the amp control)
    That is exactly what it means. It has nothing to do with making the volume more level between the program you are watching and commercials.

Feel the Tempo eisforelectronic's Avatar
    yes, but it does have that effect to certain degree.
    Audio Physic Avanti IV w/upgraded mids and crossover
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-3
    Peachtree Audio iNova
    Rega Brio-R
    Rega RP-1
    Sony PS3
    BAT VK-D5se
    Totem Acoustic Dreamcatchers

fergot... whasa XLR3?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnob
    That is exactly what it means. It has nothing to do with making the volume more level between the program you are watching and commercials.
    Absolutely correct.

Thread Information