AR Newbie Registered Member

Problem with my surround sound

When im watching a movie and turn the surround sound mode on both my receivers the voices of people dim in and out but the background noise stay's perfectly clear and remains constant. Did I miss something on the setting because I can't find the problem.My fronts are connected to the Pioneer VSX-D810S and my rears to my Technics SA-DA20. Brandon.

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Snatcha
    When im watching a movie and turn the surround sound mode on both my receivers the voices of people dim in and out but the background noise stay's perfectly clear and remains constant. Did I miss something on the setting because I can't find the problem.My fronts are connected to the Pioneer VSX-D810S and my rears to my Technics SA-DA20. Brandon.
    First off you said both as in two receivers, second it would help to know what movie you were watching or does this happen all the time. As for the Pioneer 810 it can handle both the fronts and rear with no strain, so why the other receiver? are you running a 6.1 or 7.1 setup? to rap this up, we need more info from you so we can offer a helpful hint or two.....
    HT
    Pioneer Elite SC lx502
    Pioneer Elite N50
    Pioneer Cassette CTM66R
    Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD

Vizio P series 2160p
    Panamax 5300 EX

When im watching a movie and turn the surround sound mode on both my receivers the voices of people dim in and out but the background noise stay's perfectly clear and remains constant.
    It definitely sounds like a connection problem. If you're using one of the receivers just for its amplifier section, you shouldn't have to mess with the surround sound mode on it...you should be bypassing the preamp/processor section of the receiver. That would surely cause the screwy sound you're getting out of some of the channels.
    You need to explain in detail how you've got everything wired. For example: "I've got an optical cable going from the DVD into the Technics receiver and a coax digital cable going into the Pioneer from the DVD, then I've got the REC OUT from the Technics plugged into the analog DVD inputs."
    Click here to see my system.

Something's amiss here. You're using TWO receivers? Are you using analog connections from a six-channel DVD output and connecting it to two separate stereo receivers? If so, the symptom you're describing sounds like you don't have a center channel connected. If there's a means to turn the center channel off on your DVD player's setup menu, do that and the sound should get redirected to the L/R mains and solve your problem. Otherwise, you need to provide more details.

I am using the Pioneer receiver as the brain and the Technics receiver just as an amplifier reading off the other receiver. The problem happens when Im listening to anything music, tv... If it helps I don't have a center channel, just 2 fronts and 2 backs and one sub. I know this may sound like a dumbass question but I have to learn someday, how do I know what kind of setup im using 6.1, 7.1 channel ? Thanks a great deal, Brandon.

Forum Regular
    ok whats happening here is, in your recievers set mode you have center channel set on. you need to turn that off so the voices go to the 2 front speakers. you see when your watching a 5.1 movie when someone is talking like 80 - 90 % of it is through the centre thats why the sides are playing quite and jaggedl like that. if you turn the centre off then when you select 5.1 on the disk all the voice audio will go to the 2 front instead of the centre.

as for the question on how you know what you have 5.1 stands for 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer. the first number is the number of speakers and the second is the number of subwoofers. 5.1 is 3 front 2 rear, and a subwoofer

6.1 is 3 front 3 rear. and a subwoofer.

7.1 is 3 front, 2 side, and 2 rear. and a sub. and you can go on and on. but right now 6.1 and 7.1 is the highest number of discrete channels encoded onto a disk.

hope this can help you. so go check if your centre channel is turned on. if so tell your reciever you dont have one

I am using the Pioneer receiver as the brain and the Technics receiver just as an amplifier reading off the other receiver.
    Brandon,
    You need to be more specific on how you've got these connected. Certainly without a center channel connected and your Pioneer not setup properly, you'll get the "dimming" sound that you described in your first post. Woochifer probably nailed the diagnosis for you, so all you most likely need to do is to tell the Pioneer that you don't have a center channel speaker connected. Still, the fact that you said "When im watching a movie and turn the surround sound mode on both my receivers", it raises some questions. If you've got your connections done properly, whatever mode you're in on the Technics shouldn't have any effect. You should be able to switch from surround mode to 2-channel to "church" or "cathedral" on the Technics and not hear any change. If you DO hear a change, your connections are wrong!
    Click here to see my system.

Alright I solved the problem it was just simply the center was set to on like Uncooked said. Thanks guys

Forum Regular
    im glad i could help you out. if you have any other set up questions feel free to ask.

Thread Information