Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DPLII or Neo:6?

Forum Regular

DPLII or Neo:6?

Opinions wanted....which is better DPLII or Neo:6?

Suspended
    IMO, the better comparison would be Dolby Digital vs DTS Neo:6. I personally prefer the DTS format. It just seems to make multi-channel audio sound clearer in my room setup. Your results may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace H

Both are good choices. DPLII seems to have a little more boom while the Neo:6 seems to have better mids and highs. It's all in what you like, your system and room acoustics.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich-n-Texas
    IMO, the better comparison would be Dolby Digital vs DTS Neo:6. I personally prefer the DTS format. It just seems to make multi-channel audio sound clearer in my room setup. Your results may vary...
    You crack me up Tex.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    Guess I just haven't learned yet huh?

Forum Regular
    Neural Surround sounds pretty good also, but it packs a bit too much punch at the center channel.

Suspended
    I just wish there was a format that would tell me where to place my sub!

I just wish there was a format that would tell me where to place my sub!
    Dude, we so went over this one day. But you thought I was trying to trick you.

Suspended
    I know I know. The problem was, the girls I had crawling around on their hands and knees were all blonds so the problem was never really resolved.

Sorry, Ace H, didn't mean to steal your thread.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Typically the best way to go is to leave the receiver alone from all the advanced surround settings and just let it play in 'standard' mode. This way it doesn't try to remix the sound, whether that be 2.0, 5.1, or whatever. In that case it should default to ProLogic/DD 5.1 for Dolby mixes and DTS 5.1 for DTS mixes. Your remote should also have a stereo mode if you wish to concentrate on just 2-channel music or even stations that are only in stereo.

Forum Regular
    For watching television that is not in 5.1 i use DTS Neo-6 Cinema+THX.I find that it gives a much smoother sound than PL2 with more realistic surround steering.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Forum Regular
    Rich-n-Texas

I have no problem with the tread, the problem is that I was not invited when you had those blonds crawling around on their hands a knees (as long as they were legal "tender".

Forum Regular
    I must admit I am partial to DPLII Music with panorama ON. The channel separation is almost as good as Dolby D.

nightflier

TV is always problematic, though

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies
    What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? Typically the best way to go is to leave the receiver alone from all the advanced surround settings and just let it play in 'standard' mode. This way it doesn't try to remix the sound, whether that be 2.0, 5.1, or whatever. In that case it should default to ProLogic/DD 5.1 for Dolby mixes and DTS 5.1 for DTS mixes. Your remote should also have a stereo mode if you wish to concentrate on just 2-channel music or even stations that are only in stereo.
    When watching TV, it all comes down to what kind of surround format is being broadcast. This cases my Outlaw Pre/Pro to jump from one mode to the other, even when a commercial comes on, it could be in a different sound format. I've found that DTS Neo-6 sounds the best, except that my Outlaw won't stay on that because the source format keeps changing. It has got to be the most frustrating thing about watching TV.

And even with DTS Neo-6, I'm still no where near the sound of my DVDs. I just wish those %!$#@?#$% TV broadcasters would stick to one sound format and one video format. I've pretty much given up on TV alltogether and would rather watch a DVD any day. Heck, I even switch the damned boob tube off entirely just to find some peace & relaxation with just music.

Suspended
    Amen nightflier. Network TV, which sadly is the only source of HD for me (not counting the Spanish channels) is just pitiful. I don't think my receiver changes the format like yours does though. I do look at the front panel and sometimes see commercials in 3 channel and my CC just blasts the audio. Irritating to say the least.

Suspended
    Rich-n-Texas

I have no problem with the tread, the problem is that I was not invited when you had those blonds crawling around on their hands a knees (as long as they were legal "tender".
    These here girls. They're all legal. Like I said, they weren't too helpful, but they sure were fun!

Forum Regular
    These here girls. They're all legal. Like I said, they weren't too helpful, but they sure were fun!
    You like to kick a man when he's down don't you.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PeruvianSkies

this, like most of what peruvian skier posts is completely wrong and totally stupid.
    PLII or DTSNEO both only work on two channel media, be it two channel encoded
    with "dolby surround" or "dts".
    Modern 5.1 channel formats (dts, DD5.1) play automatically and PLII and neo arent available when running these formats
    these are meant to enhance stereo and analog surround formats
    I hate to admit it but I sometimes like the PLII music format for stereo,
    and I always go PLII movie for older movies, it almost sounds DVD like sometimes.
    As much as I like DTS I really dont think their neo formats measure up, which is a disapointment.
    Kind of what you would feel if you saw a picture of Rich on papers REAL girlfriends
    (hint; crack hos are us)
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    this, like most of what peruvian skier posts is completely wrong and totally stupid.
    PLII or DTSNEO both only work on two channel media, be it two channel encoded
    with "dolby surround" or "dts".
    Modern 5.1 channel formats (dts, DD5.1) play automatically and PLII and neo arent available when running these formats
    these are meant to enhance stereo and analog surround formats
    I hate to admit it but I sometimes like the PLII music format for stereo,
    and I always go PLII movie for older movies, it almost sounds DVD like sometimes.
    As much as I like DTS I really dont think their neo formats measure up, which is a disapointment.
    Kind of what you would feel if you saw a picture of Rich on papers REAL girlfriends
    (hint; crack hos are us)
    Dude you couldn't be more wrong.
    Dolby PLIIx can absolutely, definitely, 100% for certain be used with 5.1 discrete signals.

Suspended
    You like to kick a man when he's down don't you.
    You're an AR member, how could you be down?

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis

(hint; crack hos are us)
    And then you wonder why people come down on you? Do you really believe that this is NOT rude?

Suspended
    I really think he still hasn't gotten the hang of smiley usage. He can't be serious when he says: "this, like most of what peruvian skier posts is completely wrong and totally stupid." I could dig up more of these kinds of remarks he's made to some of the other experienced and knowledgable folks here, but it just ain't worth it.

Did Troy ever buy that sarcasm detector he talks about in his sig?

Did Troy ever buy that sarcasm detector he talks about in his sig?
    All of mine broke. I bought a dozen of them but RL went through them in a week.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    All of mine broke. I bought a dozen of them but RL went through them in a week.

Okay. I guess it's my turn to buy them. Did you get some kind of deal on the case?

I really miss RL

Okay. I guess it's my turn to buy them. Did you get some kind of deal on the case?

I really miss RL
    Yes, they are a dime a dozen.

Yeah, I miss him too. I wonder why he left. I went through his last few posts. It didn't look like he was upset at the time. The caption below his avatar says, "color me gone.."
    Seems like he won't be back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information