Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DPLII or Neo:6?

Forum Regular
    Dolby Pro-Logic 2 Musicis my choice for any two channel to 5.1 channel source that I listen to. The adjustents for DPL-2 Music on your reciever are important to calibrate in your own mind where the sounds should be in your listening room. What you are trying to achieve is a 5.1 image resembling D.D. or DTS 5.1 discrete. IMHO, most important of those adjustments is dimension and width. I do not care for Panorama. DPL-2 Cinema lacks those two adjustments and IMHO sort of makes it worthless. DPL-2 Music appears to sound like a passive 5 channel Dynaquad circuit that i use to deploy and in fact appears to place the musical spacial ques in place much like that circuit. Unlike Dynaquad, the processing now takes place in a computer chip.

The one circuit that I have never had the access to try was Lexicon's Logic 7 which may have been the forerunner of DPL-2 music and cinema.

On the Pioneer vsx-516, DTS Neo works better than two other recievers that I had that had the feature but it is not impressive in its results. To be fair, I have only used it in 5 channel mode on my system. I have heard it on another system in 6 channel mode and was not impressed at all with it. To tell you the truth, I have not been impressed with anything the DTS company does in the realm of DTS movie audio and the DTS Neo codec.
    But that is a subject for another day, "perhaps"

nightflier
    One thing people forget is that when you have 5 speakers, there really isn't anything that sounds as straight-forward as the TV's internal speaker alone. All the matrixed formats are much more difficult to configure and have irritating shortcomings, not the least of which is clarity with spoken voice.

And switching sound from the surround setup back to the TV's internal speaker is far too much trouble to be convenient, although I find my wife doing this all the time. I'm almost thinking that the simplest solution would be to ask manufacturers to include a center-speaker only mode as the best compromise. Unfortunately, most of today's receivers don't allow different speaker configurations for each input source. I would even be happy if I could just get a sound format that just used the front three speakers (no surrounds) with an emphasis on the center speaker, for all my TV watching, but I can't even get that. Instead of 25 different surround formats on a chip, just give me one that will let me hear the dialog clearly!

My receiver has 6 memory settings for set up. For TV I have it set up with a heavy emphasis on the center. Everything sounds very clear. The background is still there but doesn't drowned out the dialog. When I switch to DVD or music, it's just a flick of a switch to audio bliss.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by nightflier
    One thing people forget is that when you have 5 speakers, there really isn't anything that sounds as straight-forward as the TV's internal speaker alone. All the matrixed formats are much more difficult to configure and have irritating shortcomings, not the least of which is clarity with spoken voice.

And switching sound from the surround setup back to the TV's internal speaker is far too much trouble to be convenient, although I find my wife doing this all the time. I'm almost thinking that the simplest solution would be to ask manufacturers to include a center-speaker only mode as the best compromise. Unfortunately, most of today's receivers don't allow different speaker configurations for each input source. I would even be happy if I could just get a sound format that just used the front three speakers (no surrounds) with an emphasis on the center speaker, for all my TV watching, but I can't even get that. Instead of 25 different surround formats on a chip, just give me one that will let me hear the dialog clearly!
    If you want to use your TV speaker for a center just run a line from your pre out to the audio in on your set.
    But Mainly the problem might be your center isnt set up right.
    As for using PROII or dts neo I too thought that you could overlay these over a discrete
    5.1 channel format, then I discovered that I wasnt getting a DD signal!
    I was getting an analog signal, and as soon as I got this fixed, I could never get proII
    or dts neo to work while using DD or DTS
    maybe some receivers allow this but I doubt it, as DOLBY labs probably wouldn't allow it!
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    If you want to use your TV speaker for a center just run a line from your pre out to the audio in on your set.
    As for using PROII or dts neo I too thought that you could overlay these over a discrete
    I was getting an analog signal, and as soon as I got this fixed, I could never get proII
    maybe some receivers allow this but I doubt it, as DOLBY labs probably wouldn't allow it!
    My Anthem will allow it.To make 5.1 into 7.1,but i don't use it so i can't say how well it works.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by musicman1999
    My Anthem will allow it.To make 5.1 into 7.1,but i don't use it so i can't say how well it works.

bill
    I have that too, and use it instead of a rear center channel, sounds pretty good.
    But getting a center rear channel is different than changing the entire soundfiekd by overlaying an effect. I thought the whole point of DD or DTS was getting as accurate a sound field as possible
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    My receiver has 6 memory settings for set up. For TV I have it set up with a heavy emphasis on the center. Everything sounds very clear. The background is still there but doesn't drowned out the dialog. When I switch to DVD or music, it's just a flick of a switch to audio bliss.

Well, I am glad you're finding some kind of bliss in your life.

Really

But whats wrong with having your receiver go to a setting when you change inputs?
    I hit CD and it goes to plII music.
    Hit dvd and it goes to koolaid
    Cable and moocha magic

and so on and so on
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Well, I am glad you're finding some kind of bliss in your life.

Really

But whats wrong with having your receiver go to a setting when you change inputs?
    I hit CD and it goes to plII music.
    Hit dvd and it goes to koolaid
    Cable and moocha magic

and so on and so on
    Mine will do that too. But sometimes I use the cable box to watch TV, sometimes movies, other times it's music. The DVD player gets used for movies and music. So the receiver only knows that I switched from DVD to cable. It doesn't know what I'm watching. It's nice to be able to customize it when needed at a flick of a switch.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

I know that with some systems, this will cause a delay that sounds like an echo.

Forum Regular
    I have that too, and use it instead of a rear center channel, sounds pretty good.
    But getting a center rear channel is different than changing the entire soundfiekd by overlaying an effect. I thought the whole point of DD or DTS was getting as accurate a sound field as possible
    What i meant was you can do it if you have speakers for 7.1.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster