Thread: DPL II or Neo:6

Forum Regular

Question DPL II or Neo:6

Just curious....which do you feel is better DPL II or Neo:6? Personally I can't say that I detect a difference between DPL II Movie and Neo:6 Movie.

Forum Regular
    I use DPL 11 music for everything. This is because you can make adjustments to make that fit the stereo soundfield much better than DPL 11 movie or Neo 6 movie.

I thought Neo 6 was something like DTS? DLP II is just a DSP which converts your stereo source input to a fake 5.1 format

They are both very good at turning a 2 channel TV show into surround. I can't tell much difference betweeen them myself.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Suspended
    I like everything DTS just because they're the underdog and need to be supported in order to keep Dolby labs on their toes.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I thought Neo 6 was something like DTS? DLP II is just a DSP which converts your stereo source input to a fake 5.1 format
    It is, essentially. As mentioned, it's good for television and two-channel soundtracks. I also find it good for older EBM and indiegoth music that usually lacked something in production technique.
    Take an older Sisters of Mercy album, Floodland, for instance. The thing was cut on forty-eight tracks but mastering techniques in the 1980's were pretty flat. Tweak the thing out and you've got a wraith in the streets of London. If not, the disc doesn't make it out of the car.

I don't really consider electronic music organic to begin with, so I don't have any problemo with futzing about. Hell, on the last NIN disc Reznor had a website on which you could download inserts so as to re-edit the cuts yourself with Pro-Tools.

Cool

I find that DDII is what I USE MOSTLY.
    Used to use the music mode some for music, but the new wore off, I just like music played
    the way it was intended
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

NEO:6 takes two channel material and runs it through the same digital matrix decoder that DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 runs through to create 6.1 channel sound.

PLIIx takes two channel, 5.1 channel, and 6.1 channel material and runs it through a unique decoder (developed by Jim Fosgate for Dolby Labs) to produce either 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 sound.

Both NEO:6 and PLIIx do some amazing things, and both have cinema and music modes, though PLIIx also has a number of adjustable parameters even in the consumer-level offerings.

I use PLIIx a lot. I use NEO:6 rarely. However, NEO:6 is a good process which is preferred by some for a number of reason. Occasionally, I'll switch to NEO:6 just to get a different perspective on multichannel matrixing, and it's usually quite pleasant. Once in a while I even prefer it.

Thread Information