Forum Regular

Does anyone make a 36 inche 16:9 tube tv?

I noticed that 34 inches seem to be the max. I was wondering if anyone makes anything larger. I have looked at some of the plasmas and rear projectors and they aren't very pleasing in analog. Almost all of they are very good with DVD's but I do watch most of my television programs through cable and so far the Sony 34 xbr tube has been excellent. I would however like to get something a bit larger. If not, I may go with the Grand Wega 42 inch lcd rear projector which has been the best of the bunch in the 2500 and under price range.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by acqui
    I noticed that 34 inches seem to be the max. I was wondering if anyone makes anything larger. I have looked at some of the plasmas and rear projectors and they aren't very pleasing in analog. Almost all of they are very good with DVD's but I do watch most of my television programs through cable and so far the Sony 34 xbr tube has been excellent. I would however like to get something a bit larger. If not, I may go with the Grand Wega 42 inch lcd rear projector which has been the best of the bunch in the 2500 and under price range.
    I believe Sony made a 40 incher back in the late 90's. Of course that doesn't do you any good today though , although some might still be in exsistence somewhere. You could check ebay to see if anyone is trying to sell one. I suspect, though, that a TV of that size, you would probably need a crane to lift it

Forum Regular

34" really is 36"...in a way...

Screen size is a diagonal measurement......when you subtract the height of the 16:9, it translates to a 34".....34" set is same width but less height....so less actual size is the same, assuming you are viewing an 16:9 video....if the program is 4:3 you are missing the difference...

cam
    I do believe Philips makes or did make a 38 inch 16:9 tube tv.

Forum Regular
    I was just curious, do you guys have any suggestions as to what other televisions I might audition. I am looking for something in the 36-46 in range (16:9) to be placed in a room that often sees alot of sunlight and costs no more than $3500-4000. Though we look at a fair amount of movies, most of the viewing is done via cable. So far I've looked at the Sony Grand Wega and Samsung DLP sets. Of the two, I am leaning more towards the Sony, however, I could get the Samsung for far less than retail (40% less) as a result of my brother working for them. I was told the 3rd generation DLP sets now coming out are much better than last year's but I haven't viewed any yet. Does anyone have any info on them, seen the picture quality etc?

eqm

ummm...see below

I was just curious, do you guys have any suggestions as to what other televisions I might audition. I am looking for something in the 36-46 in range (16:9) to be placed in a room that often sees alot of sunlight and costs no more than $3500-4000. Though we look at a fair amount of movies, most of the viewing is done via cable. So far I've looked at the Sony Grand Wega and Samsung DLP sets. Of the two, I am leaning more towards the Sony, however, I could get the Samsung for far less than retail (40% less) as a result of my brother working for them. I was told the 3rd generation DLP sets now coming out are much better than last year's but I haven't viewed any yet. Does anyone have any info on them, seen the picture quality etc?
    RCA used to have a curved tube tv that was 38" with a built-in DirecTv HD tuner...but it is WAAAAAAY gone now...Panasonic should have a new 34" on the way soon for about the 1299-1399 range. The word on the streets is that Samsung isn't getting what they want out of the DLP3 chip, and the models with those aren't supposed to ship until at LEAST aug or sept. keep in mind that Samsung is NOTORIOUS for delaying shipment of stock for a long time, so take those dates for what they're worth. The ones coming out now (HLP series) have the DLP2+ chipset. Mitsubishi is supposed to debut their DLP lineup in about a month or two...have you seen their 30" lcd? by far and away better than anything else i've seen. sorry for so much info in such a large space!

Forum Regular

Try here

I seen these TV's at the dealer I bought my reciever at. They're Loewe TV's. They're a German company. It had the most awesome picture I've seen for a picture tube tv. It riveled a plasma set IMO. Here's a link http://www.loewe.de/cda/frameset/0,2206,ge-en-fl11-0,00.html

Forum Regular
    Look at the Loewe (Loo Vah) Aconda 38" tube. Loewe makes the best tube tv's in the world.

Thread Information