Forum Regular

Dish Satellite Rreceiver ?

I just got the dish 622 HD-DVR- satellite receiver, Upgraded from the HD 811, I tryed hooking up the audio by going from the satellite receiver to my denon 4800 surround receiver by useing a optical cable. When i try this i get no sound at all, the only way i get sound is by running rca cables from the sat to the denon, I made sure that the optical input was turned on in the denon but still no luck, i had optical and rca cables hooked up on the old dish receiver so i dont know if the optical was working or not , i would bet it was not.You would think i would at lest get sound through the optical cable on HD channels. I must be doing something wrong, does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here. Maybe i have a bad cable or something like that. PS- that 622 receiver is sure nice , records HD and runs 2 tv and i get alot more hd channels than i did before. So what it comes down to is when i run the optical cable buy its self i get no sound at all. I have the dish receiver audio set on DD/PCM there is a LINE mode and a RF mode the RF mode is checked the LINE mode is not. I dont know if this means anything or not.

I suppose its possible you need both connections for it to work. Seems to me that that is the configuration on my Sony sacd/dvd player, but I'll have to check if it makes a difference. Is your input selector on receiver in digital mode instead of analog, mine is in auto mode? And then as you say perhaps the optical input isn't working.

Suspended
    Your Dish receiver should not be set to RF, RF is a coax connection like cable out of the wall. I had an older Dishnet receiver and the only thing I had hooked to it is the optical out and the video cable, that's all you need. I got sound on all channels via the optical. If a channel was in stereo only or mono my processor just defaulted to whatever mode. Either you have a setting wrong or a compatibility problem between the Denon and the newer Dish receiver. I'd recommend an email or call to Denon to check and also to Dishnetwork. My processor worked fine with my Dish receiver but when i switched to cable it would not work with the cable box. It took me almost a year of fighting with the cable company and emails to Motorola or whoever I thought might have an answer, then finally, I called the manufacturer of my processor and they said they were aware of some compatibility problems with some cable boxes. I sent my unit back for a fix and it's worked fine ever since. Don't use analog (rca) connections for sound, you'll never hear anything better than Pro Logic 2, that's a waste of your equipment and cheating yourself out of the best presentation.

You might also check the archieves here because I remember some previous threads discussing compatibility problems with Denon receivers.

Forum Regular

Dish

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Your Dish receiver should not be set to RF, RF is a coax connection like cable out of the wall. I had an older Dishnet receiver and the only thing I had hooked to it is the optical out and the video cable, that's all you need. I got sound on all channels via the optical. If a channel was in stereo only or mono my processor just defaulted to whatever mode. Either you have a setting wrong or a compatibility problem between the Denon and the newer Dish receiver. I'd recommend an email or call to Denon to check and also to Dishnetwork. My processor worked fine with my Dish receiver but when i switched to cable it would not work with the cable box. It took me almost a year of fighting with the cable company and emails to Motorola or whoever I thought might have an answer, then finally, I called the manufacturer of my processor and they said they were aware of some compatibility problems with some cable boxes. I sent my unit back for a fix and it's worked fine ever since. Don't use analog (rca) connections for sound, you'll never hear anything better than Pro Logic 2, that's a waste of your equipment and cheating yourself out of the best presentation.

You might also check the archieves here because I remember some previous threads discussing compatibility problems with Denon receivers.
    Yea im going to make a call to dish and talk to the guys at the local hi-fi shop and see what they have to say about it because i would really like to get it working, not much more i can do i have checked all my settings and stuff like that so i will see what the shop and dish have to say, thanks for you guys help

Forum Regular

Dish Receiver

I tried useing a different optical cable and still no sound ,I talked to dish and they where no help at all, so im not sure what to do.I will try the hi-if shop where i got the denon from and see what they have to say.

Suspended
    Yip, usually the front line customer service people are lucky to know what product they are selling. If the cable company would have not been like that I could have resolved my problem in a fraction of the time. You are going to have to find Denon's website and look for an email address for technical support. It may be more difficult with a large corp like Denon. I'm not sure if Dish has a tech email or not.

Forum Regular

Got it working

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Yip, usually the front line customer service people are lucky to know what product they are selling. If the cable company would have not been like that I could have resolved my problem in a fraction of the time. You are going to have to find Denon's website and look for an email address for technical support. It may be more difficult with a large corp like Denon. I'm not sure if Dish has a tech email or not.
    It was my fault, there is a input button on my denon receivers remote that lets you select, dts,pcm, or auto, i set it to auto and everything started to work, im still not sure what happened but it works and sounds great. The HD channels sound the best. It seems that ever time i upgrade i have to learn things all over again.
    Last edited by s dog; 09-18-2006 at 07:41 PM.

Thread Information