Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by recoveryone
    back on point of this thread, I feel there is still life in disk in car audio. Alpine is just jumping on the bandwagon with others. VW, I think was first with the plug-in adapter, But a changer that is MP3/APE/FLAC compatible. That would be a lot of music with no worry of HardDrive/Flash mem failure and no battery issues. http://www.speedsound.com/product.asp?specific=jormqrr0

The real issues is being able to take your music wherever you go is the thing today, From home- to- the car- on the job/school and back home again on one device.
    Oh, yeah...cars. I still have a cassette player. The cassette is dead, long live the cassette!

Suspended
    When I was wanting some way to take my own music with me on the commute, I sure wish I hadn't offloaded my cassette deck and a large box of high quality tape to re-use. I wonder if you can even find a cassette walkman of any quality? As you know I just bought my first DAP, but I'd bet a good analog recording on a high bias cassette would kick the crap out of a mp3 for sound quality.

I need to find this Alpine unit to see how it works. The mp3 thing still seems like a lot of work to me. I guess recording tracks to a cassette took time as well but I enjoyed it more.

MP3 is okay just use a 320 kbh bitrate, and apple has a program that allows you to load your cd's, stick one in then another..

It took awhile to load mp3s onto my creative nomad, but well worth it.
    As for cassettes, why bother? They never were high fidelity, I had a nad deck that produced pretty good stuff but that was the only choice, I can't understand why
    anybody would mess with a basically dead format.
    You know, besides improved sound the best thing about CD's over cassette was the random access features, by the time I found a tune on a cassette I was already where I was going
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Suspended
    I heard today that there is a recent article in Rolling Stone that either is predicting or pronouncing the doom of big record companies. Is it that people are downloading so much or just a lack of quality new albums? RS was stating that the record companies are stupid and they made a big mistake the way they dealt with Napster. They essentially put them out of business and downloaders just went to other share sites. RS says they should have worked out a deal where Napster charged and split the profits with the record companies. I'll have to hunt the article down. I got the impression that RS may also be thinking the disc is dieing.

I don't think the disc will die all they way. I wonder if some day it will be a nitch though like the high quality vinyl that is being pressed or the hand full of new SACD's.

I'm talking about cassettes I make myself on high bias tape using high quality hi fi gear. I wouldn't embrace cassettes now but I would be if I had kept my player and tapes, only for using in a walkman commuting. It's impossible to compare now but as my memory serves the cassettes are much more dynamic than the mp3. To me mp3's just sound compressed, like everything is close together and no air around the instruments. I'm going to find a cable and run my DAP into my home stereo to see if it's as bad as I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I heard today that there is a recent article in Rolling Stone that either is predicting or pronouncing the doom of big record companies. Is it that people are downloading so much or just a lack of quality new albums? RS was stating that the record companies are stupid and they made a big mistake the way they dealt with Napster. They essentially put them out of business and downloaders just went to other share sites. RS says they should have worked out a deal where Napster charged and split the profits with the record companies. I'll have to hunt the article down. I got the impression that RS may also be thinking the disc is dieing.

I don't think the disc will die all they way. I wonder if some day it will be a nitch though like the high quality vinyl that is being pressed or the hand full of new SACD's.

I'm talking about cassettes I make myself on high bias tape using high quality hi fi gear. I wouldn't embrace cassettes now but I would be if I had kept my player and tapes, only for using in a walkman commuting. It's impossible to compare now but as my memory serves the cassettes are much more dynamic than the mp3. To me mp3's just sound compressed, like everything is close together and no air around the instruments. I'm going to find a cable and run my DAP into my home stereo to see if it's as bad as I think.

From your list of gear I see you are an old audiophile dinosaur like myself.
    We arent really talking about home audio are we? You can always spin platters
    and listen to cds in the house, but on the road hi-fi has never really been possible, not really.
    Go to flac sites (google flac), this is a lossless format that compresses files (songs)
    without throwing anything away. MP3 was really first gen anyway, there is atrac, Sonys
    format that they use for mini-disc, had one of these and they sound quite good, WMA,
    microsofts way of compression, and MLP (meridian lossless packing) that I havent messed with too much.
    As for mp3s sounding "compressed" thats because they ARE compressed, it irritates
    friends when I can tell the difference between CD'S and mp3s, and mostly between mp3s
    with a bitrate of 128k vs 320k (what I prefer).
    And no the disc wont die completely, I still have a turntable, but I was just saying we
    are undergoing a fundamental way of dealing with information, there hasnt been a revolution this big since the printing press.
    And big record companies are going under and good riddance, their entire business
    model was ripping off the talent that they depended on, the only way most musicans
    make money is on their concerts, most never get as big as bowie, who sold BONDS
    based on future sales of his albums (made 80 million) or britney spears who was 150 mill
    before she married kfed, most musicans wound up broke.
    BUT I have had to lessen my audiophile dreams somewhat, not rich enough to afford both
    HT and HI-FI, but My system is still quite enjoyable, especially evan linns on
    SACD
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information