Forum Regular

Denon AVR-2106 Protection circuit problems (won't startup)

I have a Denon AVR-2106. Yesterday I was testing/fixing some speakers I got for free they had a bad midrange not anymore though.

I was putting the speaker back together and I had a speaker wire hooked up to the B-Speakers output on my Denon. It was laying on the ground in moving things around I believe the wire may have crossed it's ends. Whatever happened my stereo shut down and will not start back up. The power button\light flashes continuously after the normal startup time has passed.

Basically when you turn it on it looks like everything is good than it shuts down blinking red. According to the manual this indicates "Speaker terminals are short circuited" among other things that do not apply here.

I removed the B wire as well as the other speaker wires just to test and nothing or should I say same thing, shutdown. I am pretty sure it is the "Protection Circuit" but why won't it fire up if even all the speaker wires are disconnected. This is not a heat issue either because it's 2 day's later and still no go.

Another thing I have done is reset the Microproccesor several times to no avail. I talked to a guy at the store I bought it from and one of them said there was a way to reset the Protection circuit but I beleive he meant the Microproccesor.

Any ideas?

This sucks I smoke my receiver fixing some piece of crap free speakers.

Thanks Dono

Quote Originally Posted by gixxerific
    I was putting the speaker back together and I had a speaker wire hooked up to the B-Speakers output on my Denon. It was laying on the ground in moving things around I believe the wire may have crossed it's ends. Whatever happened my stereo shut down and will not start back up. The power button\light flashes continuously after the normal startup time has passed.
    You've just violated rule # 1 of audio: Never kerfutz with wiring or cabling with the power on. ...ever. Powering everything down when doing so is cheap insurance.

That bolded print describes a classic short circuit which can easily take out an otherwise fine receiver.

There might be a fuse or two inside but exactly what and where is beyond me. Perhaps others can help or a local tech might be able to look at it for a reasonable fee.

Forum Regular
    Yeah, Yeah, I know this aint my first rodeo. But I fell off the horse this time. Woops.

Cool

Yeah, Yeah, I know this aint my first rodeo. But I fell off the horse this time. Woops.
    Are you sure there is no way to reset the breaker?
    this might be intentional, they might want a service tech to look at a receiver that has had this happen or something.
    You can take the lid off (UNPLUG IT FIRST) but stay away from those big round things, they might store a charge(dont taser me bro!).
    Dont touch anything if you have no training, just look for a fuse,
    concentrate your efforts around the power supply where the cord goes in the back.
    If you see something that looks like a fuse, or something that says
    reset on it you might be in luck.
    But most likely it will have to go to the shop.
    Think of it as a learning process.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Are you sure there is no way to reset the breaker?
    this might be intentional, they might want a service tech to look at a receiver that has had this happen or something.
    You can take the lid off (UNPLUG IT FIRST) but stay away from those big round things, they might store a charge(dont taser me bro!).
    Dont touch anything if you have no training, just look for a fuse,
    concentrate your efforts around the power supply where the cord goes in the back.
    If you see something that looks like a fuse, or something that says
    reset on it you might be in luck.
    But most likely it will have to go to the shop.
    Think of it as a learning process.
    Yeah I already had it apart couldn't find anything like a reset or fuse. I will look again though, just got off the phone with a Denon tech that told me nothing. Well he said to remove all wires and reset processor. Already did that though. Oh yeah and the closest "Authorized" service place is a state away.

On that note why would I NOT want to take it to an unauthorized repairman, if they know what they are doing. It''s not like I will void my warranty.

I will get to the bottom of this, I'm not a total idiot, Oh wait did you read the original post, yes I am.

Cool

Yeah I already had it apart couldn't find anything like a reset or fuse. I will look again though, just got off the phone with a Denon tech that told me nothing. Well he said to remove all wires and reset processor. Already did that though. Oh yeah and the closest "Authorized" service place is a state away.

On that note why would I NOT want to take it to an unauthorized repairman, if they know what they are doing. It''s not like I will void my warranty.

I will get to the bottom of this, I'm not a total idiot, Oh wait did you read the original post, yes I am.

I wasnt going to say anything...
    Worth case you might have burnt out a part.
    but on the bright side receiver repair is not that expensive, cant be
    if you can just buy a new one cheap.
    Take it to a local TV shop, you might get outta it for fifty bucks.
    Also I would try the reset several times, might want to unplug it and let it set for awhile.
    Know WHAT A RELAY IS?
    One of those might be stuck, a gentle tap can loosen it.
    Thats all I got.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

AR Newbie Registered Member

After you open the cover, do you see a small component board on top of the receiver? The number on it is 7020-06427-301-0. Look at the right front corner of the board, you'll see a silver oscillator (WIN 3.579545mhz (15PF)) and a green resistor look alike number J104. Do they have white foam on it? Let me know and I'll tell you how to fix this problem.

Smile

Hey I was surfing around the net looking for a fix for my Denon receiver that is stuck in protection mode and when I took the cover off of mine to look for a fuse I noticed some of this white foam substance you speak of.

Mine is the Denon AVR-785S

Do you happen to know the fix for this?

Thanks!

Steve

Suspended
    You might try using your nose. If you've burnt a component, chances are you "let the smoke out" of it. It's a very distinctive odor. Your nose should get you in the general area. No Smell? Probably the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg724
    Hey I was surfing around the net looking for a fix for my Denon receiver that is stuck in protection mode and when I took the cover off of mine to look for a fuse I noticed some of this white foam substance you speak of.

Mine is the Denon AVR-785S

Do you happen to know the fix for this?

Thanks!

Steve
    Steve,

Thanks for looking inside your receiver for me. This problem is a very common problem for Denon and other receivers. First I would try to remove the mainboard out of the receiver. This is the hardest part of the repair. If you can remove the mainboard then go to Jamesco electronics and buy these voltage regulators, 7815, 7915, and 7805. They hide underneath the aluminum heatsinks on the mainboard. They cost less than 50 cents each. Because parts are so cheap, instead of testing, I would replace them one by one in this order, 7915, 7805, 7815. Turn on the power after each one. If the receiver doesn't turn itself off, celebrate.

Good luck.

Hello,

I am Patrick Slomp from Holland.
    I have a Denon AVR2106 receiver which is broken. I read on the internet that you have or had the same problem as me. I bought a new center speaker en connected it, i saw a little bit of smoke and that was that. If i turn it on now, it turns off again en led is blinking red.

My question for you is have you managed to repair yours? And how? and what was the problem?

I will be very happy if you can help me please with this problem.

I hope to hear from you,

Greets from the netherlands

Denon AVR 2106 Power Won't Stay On

Has anyone fixed this problem and what did it cost.

@farmersgroup
    I have the white foam on the 7020-06427-301-0 board. so i took the unit apart and got to the heat sink. I do not see anything labeled 7815, 7915, or 7805. I have 6 sk D2560s, 7 sk B1647 , and 7 smaller ones D947F and one sharp PQ20RX11. Which ones do i need to replace? I am planning on going to radio shack to see if they have these if so i will replace all of them if not where should i get them online? Also do i need to replace the silver oscillator (WIN 3.579545mhz (15PF)) and a green resistor (mine is J222) where the white foam is?

Ok i see my problem. I was looking at the huge heat sink. those 3 are not on the main one they are on 2 smaller heat sinks near where the power stuff plugs on to the board. Radio shack didnt have anything i needed. I found that Jamesco electronics has a web page, so ill just order them from there. I will let you guys know if it fixes it.

Arrow Unresponsive Receiver : : White Foam Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by farmersgroup
    After you open the cover, do you see a small component board on top of the receiver? The number on it is 7020-06427-301-0. Look at the right front corner of the board, you'll see a silver oscillator (WIN 3.579545mhz (15PF)) and a green resistor look alike number J104. Do they have white foam on it? Let me know and I'll tell you how to fix this problem.
    I have the same problem as the original guy, and upon opening up the case, I do indeed have the white foam exactly as you describe. What advice do you have?
    Thanks!

White "Foam"

Quote Originally Posted by farmersgroup View Post
    Hi. I have a "white foam" looking substance on my circuit board. I was told it is a "grounding aid" (???). What is it really??? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by farmersgroup View Post
    Steve,

Thanks for looking inside your receiver for me. This problem is a very common problem for Denon and other receivers. First I would try to remove the mainboard out of the receiver. This is the hardest part of the repair. If you can remove the mainboard then go to Jamesco electronics and buy these voltage regulators, 7815, 7915, and 7805. They hide underneath the aluminum heatsinks on the mainboard. They cost less than 50 cents each. Because parts are so cheap, instead of testing, I would replace them one by one in this order, 7915, 7805, 7815. Turn on the power after each one. If the receiver doesn't turn itself off, celebrate.

Good luck.
    I am using a voltmeter -- all the output voltage from 7805, 7815 and 7915 are correct i.e. 5 volt, 15 volt and (-)15 volt. However, the AVR-1706 still can't turn-on.
    What else I can check now?

Thread Information