AR Newbie Registered Member

Wink Components for New Home Theatre

I'm new to this forum and I'm somewhat of a rookie to mid/higher end theatre systems. I have built a nice Paradigm speaker array with a Onkyo 5.1 powered basic system. We are preparing to build a large addition on to our home and I'll have approx. 1036 sq. ft. of prime new basement space for my home theatre. I know not to ask specifics at this point as to what brands to buy but I would like to get response as to what the good components are to have in a very good home theatre system? I'd like a powered screen with projector type system so in going this ruote what are the important and necessary components? I have a large DVD collection already and 3 DVD players but I am not sur on whether to go with a high end receiver/amp or go with separates and if so what other components would be needed. I am looking at a $8-$10,000 price range possibly. Are my Paradigms acceptable to start with (Monitor 9's, Titans, Powered 10" sub and Paradigm Center Channel)? Help please with suggestions and a great source for buying on-line. Even a few personal e-mails with equipment/brand specific recommendations would be helpful. Thanks all.

N. Absentia, you gonna take this?

With that budget, you could definitely step up to a much nicer speaker array. Personally, from what I've learned hanging around this forum is that speakers will make the most difference, then processing, amplification, source, although there is some disagreement about what is more important after speakers. The first thing I'd do is divie up the budget and then audition equipment at your determined price points. So, for instance if you decide to dedicate 2/3's of the budget to speakers, go audition speakers within that price point and so on.

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I am rather new to this myself but can tell you that you will find some good advice in this forum from others more knowledgeable than myself. IMO I would focus first on the reciever/processor aspect first for two reasons; one the size of the room is going to present some challenges power wise and two if you do get great speakers but then have to compromise how you power them then you won't reap the benefits. Do your homework-set a budget and then at least you will have the choice of where you might have to limit yourself. This approach allows you to know your systems strengths/weaknesses and you can grow from there if you have to. Trust your ears and have fun!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the advice. How large on the mains would be ideal and on the surrounds? I am contemplating built in ceiling speakers for the rear but will they do the trick. Also not sure if a 6.1 or 7.1 system is better? There is so much to think about it is overwhelming. I know this is risky but what speaker systems would some of you recommend as well as a good receiver? I know what the local guy are repping but not sure they will be unbiased. On another note what is the major difference(s) in projector screens? One motorized screen on ebay that is selling for new wih wireless remote included is showing a 1.3 gain. Not sure what the gain is on a screen and if this is a good product? It says HDTV friendly, etc. The link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    I want a nice viewing system and the screen and projector are important I know so I don't want to cheap out here. BTW what is the preference for projectors? LCD or DLP? Thanks all for the help.

JS

Thread Information