Forum Regular

Question Receiver upgrade: Pioneer VSX-1014 & Competitors

I am considering a receiver upgrade and my searches of this and other websites suggest that the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K may provide the most bang for the buck. I will use it for stereo music as much as for movies. If you think I could possibly get a better receiver for under $400, I would welcome your suggestions.

I've become aware that the Pioneer VSX-1014 lacks inputs for a phono/turntable. Though this is not a huge issue for me (I could route my turntable through my current receiver), it is a significant inconvenience. Are there any good competing receivers in this price range that have phono inputs? I would like a receiver with an automatic speaker calibration system like the Pioneer.

The Pioneer's "Automatic Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System" feature seems useful, though I have two questions about it. Can the equalization be manually adjusted after the settings have been automatically calibrated? [I usually like to boost the treble a bit due to my high frequency hearing loss.] Is the unit able to store and recall calibration/equalization settings for two or more different listening locations?

Regards,

MJS
    Last edited by Michael J. Sykes; 03-03-2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: phono input issue

In my opinion, if you plan on keeping your equipment around for the long haul there are two things one shouldn't compromise on: the receiver and speakers. What I mean is, if you increase your budget by $200-$400 for the receiver you can get a real kick-ass receiver that will serve you well for a long time.

Now as for your specific questions about Pioneer, I couldn't even find anything about that model on Pioneer's website except for the press release in Jan. My instinct though, on the memory question is not to expect too many customizable features in a $400 model. Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure you can tweak settings after they're automatically calibrated.

I don't know how much research you've done already, but I encourage others to consider all the possible features they want now and may want in the future when deciding on which receiver best fits your needs.

Forum Regular

VSX-1014TX-K versus VSX-D914-K

Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    In my opinion, if you plan on keeping your equipment around for the long haul there are two things one shouldn't compromise on: the receiver and speakers. What I mean is, if you increase your budget by $200-$400 for the receiver you can get a real kick-ass receiver that will serve you well for a long time..
    One man's "compromise" is another man's splurge. The customer reviews that I've read suggest that the sound quality of the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K may be comprable to receivers costing twice as much. In addition, I was able to download the manual from the web; it indicates that the receiver has the features about which I inquired. It appears that three different calibration/equalization settings can be stored and recalled (i.e., Custom 1, Custom 2, and the default settings).

I noticed that for $100 less, Pioneer's VSX-D914-K model (6.1 channels, 110 watts per channel) has nearly all the bells and whistles of their 1014 model (7.1 channels, 110 watts per channel). According to their website, however, the 914 weighs about 10 pounds less than the 1014 (23.3 lbs versus 33.9 lbs), leading me to believe that the 914 is inferior (even for a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker setup). Can anyone confirm the weight and quality difference between these two Pioneer receivers?

Regards,

MJS

Yes, typically, weight varies accordingly to the build of the amplifier section. My Yamaha is a monster at 48lbs. and I love it. But the weight difference may also correlate to the extra channel which might mean that the build quality in the amplifier section between the two models may be no different, but just with one less channel. That memory setting sounds pretty cool. I wish I could get my hands on a receiver that could remember volume settings. That, to me, would be highly desireable.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Sykes
    One man's "compromise" is another man's splurge. The customer reviews that I've read suggest that the sound quality of the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K may be comprable to receivers costing twice as much. In addition, I was able to download the manual from the web; it indicates that the receiver has the features about which I inquired. It appears that three different calibration/equalization settings can be stored and recalled (i.e., Custom 1, Custom 2, and the default settings).

I noticed that for $100 less, Pioneer's VSX-D914-K model (6.1 channels, 110 watts per channel) has nearly all the bells and whistles of their 1014 model (7.1 channels, 110 watts per channel). According to their website, however, the 914 weighs about 10 pounds less than the 1014 (23.3 lbs versus 33.9 lbs), leading me to believe that the 914 is inferior (even for a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker setup). Can anyone confirm the weight and quality difference between these two Pioneer receivers?

Regards,

MJS

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_pci
    Yes, typically, weight varies accordingly to the build of the amplifier section. My Yamaha is a monster at 48lbs. and I love it. But the weight difference may also correlate to the extra channel....
    I believe I found evidence of a quality difference on the Pioneer website. The "power amplifier design" is described as "A.D.E. MOS FET" for the VSX-1014, and "Hybrid" for the VSX-D914. Is a "hybrid" design generally inferior?

Anyone know of a competing A/V receiver in the price range of the VSX-1014 that has phono inputs as well as an automatic speaker calibration feature?

Regards,

MJS

Kursun
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Sykes
    I believe I found evidence of a quality difference on the Pioneer website. The "power amplifier design" is described as "A.D.E. MOS FET" for the VSX-1014, and "Hybrid" for the VSX-D914. Is a "hybrid" design generally inferior?

Anyone know of a competing A/V receiver in the price range of the VSX-1014 that has phono inputs as well as an automatic speaker calibration feature?

Regards,

MJS
    The 1014 is a fine AV receiver. It is the European version entry level of the line that is marketed as the Elite series in the US.
    http://www.pioneer-eur.com/eur/produ...onomy_id=62-98

Yes you can manually touch up all the adjustments the auto MCACC does.
    You should not consider the 914. It is not in the same league as models 1014 and upwards which Pioneer builds with more tender loving care! If you have the resources stretch up to AX5 which is even better.
    Last edited by Kursun; 03-05-2005 at 02:24 PM.

Thread Information