Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Forum Regular DiscoRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28

    Calibrating a projection TV.

    When we bought a new couch set last year, Leon's threw in an old, crappy HDTV. It's a 52" RCA, model number D52W26.

    The picture looks terrible, it's as though the gun is firing farther ahead than it should. A couple inches of the picture are being cut off at the edge of the screen.

    I've attached a few pictures. You can see that stations' watermarks are being cut off, as well as the guide for my Expressvu 9200/Dish Network 942. All of these are from HD broadcasts with the receiver set to 1080i.

    The TV only has a single component input so I am running both my satellite receiver and my DVD player through my Yamaha receiver. I tried connecting both devices directly to the TV, and got the same results.

    How can I go about fixing this problem? Is it worth while having a technician come to look at it? I'm sure if I sold this TV I would be lucky to get $600.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Calibrating a projection TV.-img_0103.jpg   Calibrating a projection TV.-img_0104.jpg   Calibrating a projection TV.-img_0108.jpg  
    Yamaha RX-V800
    Paradigm Studio 60 V.3
    Paradigm Titan V.3
    Paradigm CC-170 V.3
    Marantz 6100
    Pioneer DV-578A-S (Don't ever buy this)
    Panasonic DVD-S35

  2. #2
    _ Luvin Da Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    _
    Posts
    1,951
    You wouldn't happen to have it set on one of the zoom modes? My LCD has 2 different modes and one of them gives me a pics like your describing but the PQ was still good.
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

  3. #3
    Forum Regular DiscoRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    When I press the "format" button while on the component input, nothing happens. It changes the zoom level on any other input though.

    I also noticed that this model doesn't have a few features listed in the manual, like autoformat and "Film mode (3:2 Pulldown)". I don't know if either of those would help though.
    Yamaha RX-V800
    Paradigm Studio 60 V.3
    Paradigm Titan V.3
    Paradigm CC-170 V.3
    Marantz 6100
    Pioneer DV-578A-S (Don't ever buy this)
    Panasonic DVD-S35

  4. #4
    Suspended Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Ozarks
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoRage
    The picture looks terrible, it's as though the gun is firing farther ahead than it should. A couple inches of the picture are being cut off at the edge of the screen.

    I've attached a few pictures. You can see that stations' watermarks are being cut off, as well as the guide for my Expressvu 9200/Dish Network 942. All of these are from HD broadcasts with the receiver set to 1080i.
    It sound like you might have a sever overscanning problem.

    If you want, you can access TVs service menu to see if you can adjust vertical amd horizental size of the picture. But before entering service mode, please have pencil and paper ready to write all of parameter before making any chages.

    Here is how to access service menu:

    Press and hold MENU
    Press POWER
    Press VOL+
    P00 and V00 will be displayed (left and right sides of screen)
    Release MENU
    Press VOL+ to set V00 to V76
    Press CH+ to select and adjustment that you want to change ( P00 )
    Press VOL+ and VOL- to adjust

    P03 adjusts the Horiz Center
    P05 Adjust the Vent Center
    P06 Adjusts the Vert Size

    http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT

  5. #5
    Forum Regular DiscoRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey
    It sound like you might have a sever overscanning problem.

    If you want, you can access TVs service menu to see if you can adjust vertical amd horizental size of the picture. But before entering service mode, please have pencil and paper ready to write all of parameter before making any chages.

    Here is how to access service menu:

    Press and hold MENU
    Press POWER
    Press VOL+
    P00 and V00 will be displayed (left and right sides of screen)
    Release MENU
    Press VOL+ to set V00 to V76
    Press CH+ to select and adjustment that you want to change ( P00 )
    Press VOL+ and VOL- to adjust

    P03 adjusts the Horiz Center
    P05 Adjust the Vent Center
    P06 Adjusts the Vert Size

    http://www.artofhacking.com/files/TVMODES.TXT
    Am I able to see the picture while I'm doing this?

    I've had a few drinks tonight, so I'll wait 'til tomorrow to try this out
    Yamaha RX-V800
    Paradigm Studio 60 V.3
    Paradigm Titan V.3
    Paradigm CC-170 V.3
    Marantz 6100
    Pioneer DV-578A-S (Don't ever buy this)
    Panasonic DVD-S35

  6. #6
    Forum Regular DiscoRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    28
    I just tired to enter the service menu by holding menu then pressing power and vol+. Nothing happened. I read the article you linked. Does this work on newer projection TVs as well?
    Yamaha RX-V800
    Paradigm Studio 60 V.3
    Paradigm Titan V.3
    Paradigm CC-170 V.3
    Marantz 6100
    Pioneer DV-578A-S (Don't ever buy this)
    Panasonic DVD-S35

  7. #7
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,528

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoRage
    I just tired to enter the service menu by holding menu then pressing power and vol+. Nothing happened. I read the article you linked. Does this work on newer projection TVs as well?
    There arent any "newer" rptvs, not based on CRT tech, anyway, they are going the way of the dinosaur.
    You got one for free, what does that tell you?
    Probably factory seconds, I GOT A SIMILAR S-VHS vcr for fifty bucks, was missing a few features.
    Try sending a standard def picture through the componet, see if that helps you access zoom mode.
    Think you can get 600 bucks for this space waster? GET IT.
    You can get a 32in lcd from office depot for 550, a 42in vizio for less that a grand
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  8. #8
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    928
    I had a similar problem with my TV. Do you happen to have a Dishnetwork receiver? I have the vip622 and it has zoom features as well. It hadn't originally, so I'm guessing this was changed during an automated upgrade. If you have Dish, press the lowest left-hand button on the remote, If different modes are available you'll see it change. I have a Hitachi 57" and a Sony 32" TV. I noticed the same as you. I had to call and have someone tell me there was a zoom feature. It has Stretch, Zoom1, Zoom2, standard gray-bar and standard black-bar. It seems more likely a zoom problem than scan problem.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •