Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 3LB
    I'm so glad I haven't collected that many DVDs. I think I own 30 or 40 titles with most of those being bargain bin stuff. I'll wait a year or two before I delve deep into BD and if rumors start up about yet another format...
    Won't be another "format"...EVER.
    The only reason BLU will be around (if it is) will be for collectors.
    Streaming of various kinds will take over for most rental chores, the creating of one format after another is over.
    BLU isn't just a movie disc, its a big digital box that will hold just about anything in high resolution, concerts, movies, Tv series, you name it.
    Its like when cars became standardized to one form, there was the occasional variation,
    but basically the average layout for cars was pretty much the same.
    You sound like a cheapskate( nothing wrong with that), 40 DVDS'?
    I have that many BLU discs, several hundred DVD's, and thats a small collection, really.
    I cull my collection on a regular basis, keeps storage space dowm.
    But really, trust me...
    FORMAT WARS ARE
    DEAD
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

RGA
    Forum Regular
    So I almost bought a two pack of Kill Bill on Blu-Ray. Both movies for $14.99 - not each for both. Not sure if has any of the extras however since right beside it they were selling Kill Bill 1 for the same price. Huh?

I still don't quite get the Blade Runner thing. Certainly 5 discs is impressive and 4 versions but chances are if I ever rewatch a movie I am going to watch only the version that I felt was the best (but hey I have the big box set edition of Dawn of the Dead 1978 with several versions - the theatrical one was best). I can't see people sitting there and watching Blade Runner 4 times and then again through all the running commentaries. It's more of a keep sake than actually wasting time watching each and every version over and over. I was about to say that the director's cut would be the one to watch but directors sometimes get it wrong - sometimes got it right the first time around and changing it later makes things worse. Lucas made his original three movies worse by putting what he screwed up in the latest three movies into his first ones. Spielberg should have left E.T. the hell alone as well. Guns or no guns.

I still can't get pst Lucas and that pitiful Phantom menace and the effects going to his head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG1AW...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    So I almost bought a two pack of Kill Bill on Blu-Ray. Both movies for $14.99 - not each for both. Not sure if has any of the extras however since right beside it they were selling Kill Bill 1 for the same price. Huh?
    Great price on that set. I already have both movies on DVD, and Tarantino has hinted a few times that he has a lot of unused footage that he'd like to splice into an extended master cut of the entire Kill Bill saga. So, I'm holding off on buying the BD.

I still don't quite get the Blade Runner thing. Certainly 5 discs is impressive and 4 versions but chances are if I ever rewatch a movie I am going to watch only the version that I felt was the best (but hey I have the big box set edition of Dawn of the Dead 1978 with several versions - the theatrical one was best).
    Blade Runner gets a lot of attention because the versions released in 1982 are very different from the workprint/1992 release (and Ridley Scott's 2007 final cut). Plus, the 1982 versions with the voiceovers and the happy ending were never previously released on DVD. A lot of people had heard about how much better the workprint/1992 version was, but until the current video release came out, never had a chance to compare it with the original 1982 release for themselves.

The 2007 final cut, aside from being the only cut fully approved and supervised by Ridley Scott, is the only version that had a frame-by-frame restoration from the original negative. Yes, this is the "definitive" version, but it's still fascinating to see how selective changes in the different edits create a very different movie.

I can't see people sitting there and watching Blade Runner 4 times and then again through all the running commentaries. It's more of a keep sake than actually wasting time watching each and every version over and over.
    Why can't you see this? I have watched four out of the five versions on the BD set (I only skip the 1982 international edition because it only adds gratuitous violence that's already in the other versions). And I've gone through two of the commentaries.

It's not a mere keepsake, given how much of the material in the set was never released before. For example, the workprint version (which has only been shown in public at two test screenings in 1982 and at a couple of limited week-long engagements in 1991) has become the stuff of legend, and now for the first time, anyone who's heard about it can see it.

This movie has a huge following and is now considered a classic in the sci-fi genre. People who are fans of the movie are going to want to go over every nuance, and follow that movie's lengthy path through Hollywood's creative process.

I was about to say that the director's cut would be the one to watch but directors sometimes get it wrong - sometimes got it right the first time around and changing it later makes things worse.
    In this case, control over the movie was pulled during post-production. But, even to this day, some fans and critics prefer the 1982 voiceover version because it has a clearer and more structured narrative than the other cuts, which are more ambiguous.

Lucas made his original three movies worse by putting what he screwed up in the latest three movies into his first ones. Spielberg should have left E.T. the hell alone as well. Guns or no guns.
    I actually thought that the 1997 special editions were fine. They cleaned up some of the effects work, fixed the audio tracks, and generally didn't go overboard with the changes.

It was when Lucas tried to tie the prequel trilogy to the original series that things began to fray at the edges, especially with his convoluted renaming of the original movies (Star Wars to me is still Star Wars, not Episode IV: A New Hope).
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

RGA
    Forum Regular
    What the hell maybe I will buy the Blad Runner set after all - it was on sale someplace for $29 but it was very good.

Kill Bill - the problem is that Quentin has been saying he would bring out the "The Whole Bloody Affiar" version of Kill Bill since 2004 and he never gets to it. So $7.50 each will do. I bought the vinyl soundtracks of both movies and Deathproof recently and both sound quite good.

I hope they do a great job with Pulp Fiction whenever that one comes out.

I picked up The Shining and Poltergiest yesterday. Hoping these ones will look good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information