Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by winston
    the 35 is at vanns for about $290 no tax/shipping.
    That model 35 has just hit the market, the price should drop quickly in the next few weeks or month before Christmas. There is a review of the new model 55 (mostly the same unit with decoding you don't need but same video and audio peformance) in the new issue of Sound and Vision magazine on the newstands ("highly recommended").

RR6

Suspended
    Here's the DMP-30:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/players/playe...d=5&show=specs

The DMP-30 will bitstream Tru-HD & DTS-MA, if your receiver will decode these then I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you.

Bluray.com don't have specs on the 35 yet but here's some info:
    http://www.productwiki.com/panasonic-dmp-bd35/

The 35 offers the internal decoding as well as bitstream of Tru-HD & DTS-MA. It also has the BD Live which I believe you said wasn't of interest.

Here is some info on the BD35 and BD55. See link at bottom for pdf spec sheet. The new models are definitely thinner and look much different. Apparently there have been some video performance improvements.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/pr..._Players.shtml

RR6

Forum Regular
    Check out the Sony BDP-S550. I just ordered one myself. It can be had online for $299 with free shipping at Pricegrabber, which is an absolute steal.

Profile 2.0
    Decodes True HD and DTS-Master internally and via bitstream
    7.1 analog output
    Ethernet port

There isn't a player out there with these features under $400. You are covered for all scenarios, and the Sony's have a good reputation for their bluray players.

The Panasonics are also a real solid option, but are either more expensive or don't have all these features.

Quote Originally Posted by zepman1
    Check out the Sony BDP-S550. I just ordered one myself. It can be had online for $299 with free shipping at Pricegrabber, which is an absolute steal.

Profile 2.0
    Decodes True HD and DTS-Master internally and via bitstream
    7.1 analog output
    Ethernet port

There isn't a player out there with these features under $400. You are covered for all scenarios, and the Sony's have a good reputation for their bluray players.

The Panasonics are also a real solid option, but are either more expensive or don't have all these features.
    Let us know what you think when your all hooked up. That's a very decent price for a fully loaded player.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    Let us know what you think when your all hooked up. That's a very decent price for a fully loaded player.

I will. I think I will be very happy with this one when it comes (hopefully by Friday - no tracking info available yet). Especially excited to hear the new audio formats compared to DD and DTS. Not sure how much better the picture will be, since my TV is 720p. But, I am hopeful it will be a bit better than cable HD channels.

Eventually I will have my home theater finished with a 1080p front projector, and that will be sweet.

When I tested my new plasma 768p with Blu Ray the diff between broadcast HD and Blu Ray was significant (that was with 5 star rated video movies). You will not want to go back to watching TV.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the Sony for $299? I saw 299 this morning at Nerds but now it is gone, they must be out of stock and they had about $25 shipping. Now the lowest I see is $307.

Let us know what you think of the Sony.

RR6

Forum Regular
    I saw $299 earlier today at Nerds. That price 1st appeared this morning, and is already gone? Wow.

I actually bought mine for $306 at Techonweb.com which I found through pricegrabber. Shipping was free with that site. I thought that was a steal considering almost everyone has it for $399 online in in-store. I would have had a tough choice between the Panasonic BD35 ($280 at circuit city) and the Sony if I had to pay $400 for the Sony. But since I didn't, I can have my cake and eat it too, I guess.

It looks the place I bought it from may be temporarily sold out already. Not suprised at that price. In fact it was selling cheaper than the S350 and S300 which leads me to believe it was a mistake.

Yeah, I know that cable HD signals are compressed quite a bit, and a far cry from "true" HD bliss. I think I am just trying not to set my hopes too high for Bluray and be disappointed! All this talk about lossless audio and 1080p video has me giddy with anticipation. UPS better have their act together with a quick delivery...
    Last edited by zepman1; 10-20-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by L.J.
    I would avoid the BD30 since it does not have internal decoding for HD audio formats. It can only bitstream. You would need a HDMI v1.3 AVR to take advantage of that.

If your AVR is HDMI v1.1 & can handle multi channel PCM via HDMI, you can use a PS3 or any other HDMI player that has decoding for all HD audio.

Also, any player with full decoding & 5.1 analog out will be fine for HD audio.
    thanks L.J. for the up date no the BD30. my AVR is the first gen. HDMI i will look at some BR'S and be back to pick you guys brain. (sony PS3/BD35/
    winston

hdmmi

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Here's the DMP-30:
    http://www.blu-ray.com/players/playe...d=5&show=specs

The DMP-30 will bitstream Tru-HD & DTS-MA, if your receiver will decode these then I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work for you.

Bluray.com don't have specs on the 35 yet but here's some info:
    http://www.productwiki.com/panasonic-dmp-bd35/

The 35 offers the internal decoding as well as bitstream of Tru-HD & DTS-MA. It also has the BD Live which I believe you said wasn't of interest.
    hey mr pae.never read your post yesterday thanks for the effort i looked at the blue-ray site posted prices are falling. i try a 30 return. from BRANDS MART USA down here in mia.

Suspended
    Wow, a s550 for $306.00 and free shipping, now that's a deal. The 300 and 350 will be on shelf forever if this type of price keeps up, unless they drop to the basement.

Forum Regular
    Wow, a s550 for $306.00 and free shipping, now that's a deal. The 300 and 350 will be on shelf forever if this type of price keeps up, unless they drop to the basement.
    Yeah, and now it is so well priced that it is sold out and backordered. Guess I will be waiting a while to check out my new Bluray. Hopefully this isn't where they try to weasel out of the sale....

well mr. pea. i too found that deal in the wee hours this morning at TECHONWEB.COM THROUGH PR/GRABBER for $306.72 no tax free shipping. (is that a good apple) as i went to brands mart down in my hoods here, and they wanted $275.00 include tax for the PANNY BD30 so i take a rain check on it. hopefully MY SONY BDP-550 WILL ARRIVEING NEXT WEEKEND. "quoteing zapman" if they dont weasel out of this sale i will be seen the big picture soon. anticipation .

Suspended
    I hope it works out for you guys, that's a great deal.

Amazon is running a new buy 2 get 1 free sale on BR movies. They also have several titles for $13 & 14.95 including I Am Legend. Might want to get a couple on the way for the big debut.

dax
    Forum Regular
    I just purchased a Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV at Best Buy. With the purchase of a Sharp HDTV, you get $100 off any Blu-Ray player. All they had in stock at the store was the Sony 350 model, which would have cost me $199. However, I need the 7.1 analog output due to my older receiver. Salesman looked it up and said he could get me the Sony 550 model for $299 and it'll be here on Friday. I pick up the TV on Wednesday. Can't wait for the weekend...

Forum Regular
    Techonweb received their shipment of Sony 550's and it got sent to me last week. I missed the delivery on Friday, and it was signature required, so I will be picking it up today from the FedEx terminal. Should be able to give it a go tonight...

Forum Regular
    I hope it works out for you guys, that's a great deal.

Amazon is running a new buy 2 get 1 free sale on BR movies. They also have several titles for $13 & 14.95 including I Am Legend. Might want to get a couple on the way for the big debut.
    Thanks for the heads up. Those are some great deals. I've always found Amazon to be the best place to buy CD's and DVD's. Apparently I can add Bluray to the list. I wouldn't mind having I am Legend, especially at that price. Thought the movie looked and sounded really good on DVD, can't wait to check it out on Bluray.

Suspended
    We'll have to start a forum just for the 550 owners around here

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dax
    I just purchased a Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV at Best Buy. With the purchase of a Sharp HDTV, you get $100 off any Blu-Ray player. All they had in stock at the store was the Sony 350 model, which would have cost me $199. However, I need the 7.1 analog output due to my older receiver. Salesman looked it up and said he could get me the Sony 550 model for $299 and it'll be here on Friday. I pick up the TV on Wednesday. Can't wait for the weekend...
    That is a good thing.
    I have the multichannel outs and it has saved what was an expensive (for me) receiver.
    Don't feel the need for a new one at all, indeed, if I get anything it will probably be a new amp.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

HI MR PAE. and all you guys on line,. mr pae, you did ask me if i ever try the digital amps in my pioneer VSX-72TXV receiver ? in your post # 21 well not much" however it did ring a (bell) so all week i have been doing just that and i an really happy with this anima i boxed up them acurus. i even drive my front speakers bi-amp bi-amping as the SB speaker terminals can be used for that.my BETA-50'S sound like speakers at much higher price point.these forums are big time help for me. BDP-550 arriving 04/11/08 happy trick & treat,all winston.

Suspended
    Winston, glad your set up has improved. The internal amps must be really good. Those who tried them seem to like them but there is still a resistance or negativity amongst the hobbyists to digital amps.

I hope you menat 11/4. The 550 will be a nice addition.

Winston, glad your set up has improved. The internal amps must be really good. Those who tried them seem to like them but there is still a resistance or negativity amongst the hobbyists to digital amps.

I hope you menat 11/4. The 550 will be a nice addition.
    haha well thats what happens when it passes time we make the typos,ya 11/04 is the date, and i do understand (the resistance) with the hobbyists towards the digital amps. but after educating myself on this forum and trying out stuff i love the digital amps. for the surround soud formats, after using my acurus, two power amps for 5.1 all this time until" just last week all week i tapped into my RECEIVER it seems that i was missing a lot until next time win.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information