Forum Regular

Blu-ray players with two HDMI's vs one

I recently purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD210 Blu-ray player which unfortunately, as the case may be, has but a single HDMI.

When I visited the Panny site it states that for the best audio/video ( from their Blu-ray players ) one HDMI should be connected to the receiver while the other should be connected straight to the TV. The higher end Panny player has two HDMI's.

Guys, is there a huge advantage in having a player with two HDMI connected in this fashion?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post
    I recently purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD210 Blu-ray player which unfortunately, as the case may be, has but a single HDMI.

When I visited the Panny site it states that for the best audio/video ( from their Blu-ray players ) one HDMI should be connected to the receiver while the other should be connected straight to the TV. The higher end Panny player has two HDMI's.

Guys, is there a huge advantage in having a player with two HDMI connected in this fashion?
    The OPPO has two but only one of them includes the extra video processing. I use both, one to TV and one to HT Receiver mainly so I can watch a disk with only the player and TV and not have to turn everything else on, which is an advantage as I see it.

Suspended
    I agree with Hyfi. I also have an Oppo, the BDP-93. It allows me to run one directly to the TV so I don't need to have the processor/amps on to watch a movie. I used to run component and optical to the TV for non-surround viewing.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    The purpose of having two HDMI outputs is it allows for the use of your non 3D enabled HDMI receiver to be used in a 3D setup. With one going straight to the receiver to handle the new codecs, and the other going straight to the monitor or projector. It also allows for those of us who use both a flat panel and a projection screen depending on the source we are viewing. I think it is a great feature to be added to Bluray players.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Poultrygeist View Post

As Sir T correctly states, the 2 HDMIs are only if you need them due to a receiver or pre/pro not being 3D capable, when you have a TV that is (so the HDMI pass-through on the receiver/pre-pro won't properly display 3D if you were to use just the one connection through it to your TV). In this case, by using a dual HDMI out player like the Panasonic 310... the first HDMI out runs directly to the TV to handle the 3D and the sub (or 2nd) HDMI out handles just the audio for your receiver/pre-pro.

That said, if you do not have a 3D TV or have a receiver/pre-pro and TV that are both 3D capable, then your current player (which I too own, btw) will work just fine with just the one.

---Dave
    Integra DHC-40.2 Pre/Pro
    Coda 2 X 200 Watt Amp
    Rotel RB-985 5 X 100 Watt Amp
    2 Tyler Acoustics 2 Piece Linbrook Signature System
    1 Tyler Linbrook Signature Center Channel
    3 Tyler Taylo Reference Monitors
    1 ACI Titan II Sub
    Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
    Panasonic BDT-210 + 350 Blu-ray
    Consonance Droplet CDP-5.0
    Sony 55NX-810 1080p 3D-LED HDTV

Office:
    Opera Audio Consonance CD-120
    Jolida 1301A 2 X 30 Watt Int. Amp (Sovtek Tubes)
    Opera Audio Consonance Eric-1 Speakers

Forum Regular
    Good to learn the explanation for dual hdmi outputs. I haven't picked out a new BR player yet but thought I
    wanted one with dual. I'm not very interested in 3D, I just want the rest of my family to be able to watch/listen through the TV without using the AVR and having Dora the Explorer blasting throughout the house in 7.1...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B. Galt View Post
    Good to learn the explanation for dual hdmi outputs. I haven't picked out a new BR player yet but thought I
    wanted one with dual. I'm not very interested in 3D, I just want the rest of my family to be able to watch/listen through the TV without using the AVR and having Dora the Explorer blasting throughout the house in 7.1...
    Good point. I hadn't thought about the implications of upgrading to a HDMI-enabled receiver in terms of having to watch Dora The Explorer in 7.1. I have a 4-year old daughter, so I know all about the sanity of keeping Dora confined to the TV speakers!

I currently run the video sources through an auto-sensing HDMI switch, and will probably keep my current setup until I make the upgrade to 3D, which won't be for a while.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post
    Good point. I hadn't thought about the implications of upgrading to a HDMI-enabled receiver in terms of having to watch Dora The Explorer in 7.1. I have a 4-year old daughter, so I know all about the sanity of keeping Dora confined to the TV speakers!

I currently run the video sources through an auto-sensing HDMI switch, and will probably keep my current setup until I make the upgrade to 3D, which won't be for a while.
    WHATEVER works for you, but upgrading my receiver was the best thing I HAVE done in a long while. Loved my old piece of iron,
    but hdmi switching is seamless.
    Lost A LOT OF WIRES, only have three plugs on the TV, only need one.
    I WOULD put an upgrade on the short instead of long list, IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Best thing about it...

Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis View Post
    WHATEVER works for you, but upgrading my receiver was the best thing I HAVE done in a long while. Loved my old piece of iron,
    but hdmi switching is seamless.
    Lost A LOT OF WIRES, only have three plugs on the TV, only need one.
    I WOULD put an upgrade on the short instead of long list, IMHO.
    Switching on the fly and losing tons of wires. I love it when you calmly give good advice and opinion.

Worf

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Worf101 View Post
    Switching on the fly and losing tons of wires. I love it when you calmly give good advice and opinion.

Worf
    YEARS ago I saw a prototype fire wire system, which included
    powered speakers, and the elegance of the system was
    amazing. Hiding cabling is a big problem. AT SOME POINT
    you get tired of living in a space that looks like a RADIO shack blew up.
    HDMI has slowly become a favorite new tech of mine, not only
    data but control signals, now components can "talk" to each other,
    and JOE SIX can better figure out his connections.
    HT types love the whiz bang, everybody knows the advantage
    of BLU RAY, but its invisible tech like HDMI and WI-FI
    that's really going to change things.
    IF you had told me even six years ago that one day I would be sitting in front of my system, with a 42" panel, using
    my computer, connected with the same type cable my cable box
    and disc player uses, I WOULD have pepper sprayed you
    and called happy acres.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Thread Information