AR Newbie Registered Member

Marantz SR8000 - video switching S-video & Analog

I am using the Marantz SR8000 for video switching.

I have a Sat. receiver and DVD connected to the SR8000 via S-video. I have an old VCR with analog video connecting it to the receiver.

I can't figure out how to get the receiver to send S-video to the TV when the DVD/Sat. are selected and also get the analog video signal sent when the VCR is selected. I've had to unplug the analog video output to the TV so that the DVD and Sat. will work (that's what we use most). All the audio connections work well.

Is this receiver capable of sending both types of video signals or will I have to connect the analog cable and unplug the S-video when I want to use the VCR?

Thanks for any advice.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by est50
    I am using the Marantz SR8000 for video switching.

I have a Sat. receiver and DVD connected to the SR8000 via S-video. I have an old VCR with analog video connecting it to the receiver.

I can't figure out how to get the receiver to send S-video to the TV when the DVD/Sat. are selected and also get the analog video signal sent when the VCR is selected. I've had to unplug the analog video output to the TV so that the DVD and Sat. will work (that's what we use most). All the audio connections work well.

Is this receiver capable of sending both types of video signals or will I have to connect the analog cable and unplug the S-video when I want to use the VCR?

Thanks for any advice.
    Yes, from what you describe as the "symptoms" of your malady, the receiver IS capable of sending both types of signals at the same time ... it's the TV set that is the "fly in the ointment" here. It does not want to tolerate more than one type of interconnect being connected to it at the same time.

Fortunately for you, there's a simple solution to your "problem". Get an adapter that converts the composite video to S-video. Use that on the connection from the VCR to the receiver, and then you can eliminate the composite-video cable between the receiver and TV altogether. That will solve everything for you ... isn't that great? Such an adapter can be purchased at Radio Shack as well as many other retailers - and it's not an expensive item either. Should run less than $5 or so.

You'll notice that I used the term composite-video instead of analog video when referring to the interconnect between the VCR and the TV. That is the proper term - not "analog" since all video interconnects in common usage today are "analog". The difference(s) are in the type of connector used and/or the type of cable (single conductor or dual conductor) used - but they are all analog connections. In the future, we'll have to deal with digital interconnects as well, but we don't need to go into those for now.

I usually end my posts with the phrase - "Hope this will help you", but in this case, "Hope" can be left out altogether. This info will solve your problem and "help you".
    woodman

I plan to live forever ..... so far, so good!
    Steven Wright

Thread Information