Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Best Receiver under $600?

Now I mean it, when I say under $600 and shipped to my house!!! ! None of that if you can do $30 more... crap!

Denon
    Onkyo
    Yamaha
    HK
    Marantz

or other brands/models... I am running Ascend Acoustic speakers all around.... which receiver is the clearest, best value for the money out of these brands in my price range?

Forum Regular
    The yamaha htr5760 will be around 350 delivered well under 500. I just purchased one and it does the job for me supports up to 7.1. You can stab a yamaha htr5790 for 550.

Forum Regular
    I cannot find the HTR-5790 for $550 anywhere. This forum leans towards Yamaha soo much. Not certain why, but not complaining either.

Basically any receiver from one of those brands you listed will be fine. Just pick the one that has all the features you need. You can get some refurbished Marantz receivers from accessories4less.com . You get a lot more receiver for your money because they are refurbished. Check out the sr-x300 and sr-x400 series, you'll get a good price on the X300 series because it's last years model.

-Joey

Forum Regular
    I just want the best bang for the buck. I am coming off a technics a/v receiver I got in a HTIB set back in 1998. Anything is a step up, so I set a price limit to adhere to.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The forum leans to Yamaha for a few reasons...Reliability is probably the biggest...Few would argue against Yamaha's track record, nobody in the under $1500 can seem to touch them. Though I woudl argue Denon and Marantz are close...H/K probably too.
    Sound wise and feature wise, they're all pretty similar. Yamaha's known for their superior processing (DSP's), but I don't know many who buy a receiver for DSP's.

I'd take a good look at Denon's AVR-1804 as well as the Yamaha HTR-5760/RX-V650 or the 5790 if you can find it for $550.

The Denon and Yamaha's in that price range will make your Technics sound like it was sick.

If you're willing to wait a couple of months, Yamaha's RX-V1400 and 2400 models will probably be discontinued soon if Yamaha sticks with their typical product replacement cycle. At that point, you can easily find the 1400 for under $600 and possible the 2400 as well. Last year, when the RX-V1300 and 2300 got discontinued, I saw the 2300 selling for $500 at some retail stores.

Just keep your eyes peeled on various news sites like Audio Revolution for new product announcements. Pretty much the minute Yamaha announces the new models, you need to move quickly since stores will have probably stopped stocking new units well before then and tried to let their inventory run as low as possible. If they still have a large stock of units in inventory, then they will resort to the outrageous deals.

If you can still find any of the Denon AVR-2803 units at a local store, that would be another discontinued model that you can probably deal way down on right now.

Forum Regular
    Which of these is the better receiver HTR-5790 ($560 w/ shipping), RX-V750( $478), and Denon AVR-2803 ($530) Marantz SR5400 ($470) Marantz SR6300 ($528)? As you can see the prices are pretty close. Which one would you get?

I would say perhaps the RX-V750 is best price for options, but lemme know.
    Last edited by Lord Nikon; 08-08-2004 at 05:24 PM.

Forum Regular
    Putting my preference to JVC aside, I believe the EdGein system will fit your needs nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
    I cannot find the HTR-5790 for $550 anywhere. This forum leans towards Yamaha soo much. Not certain why, but not complaining either.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Putting my preference to JVC aside, I believe the EdGein system will fit your needs nicely.
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you please clarify?

Forum Regular
    The EdGein receiver is made in Wisconsin and uses handmade parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Nikon
    I don't understand what you mean by this. Could you please clarify?

AR Elite Member
    If you don't mind going used (or waiting a little until they're discontinued), check out a Yamaha RX-V1400. If you only care about 5.1 DD/DTS, you can probably get something used very high quality for your price.

Forum Regular
    eCost.com is eating the shipping cost now. So you can order the unit and not pay shipping charges. They have a lot of refurbished and new units. They seem to have the best prices as far as I can tell.

Forum Regular
    My advice is whatever you decide to buy purchase a brand new unit. Forget about used or refurbed units. I have had my yamaha htr-5760 for 4 days now and i cant imagine needing anything more than this unit gives and for only $350 or less delivered. The nice thing about yamaha is the ypao system that sets up you speakers automatically for you. Do your research and get what is you think is best for you. If you decide you want to go the yamaha route just compare the 5760 and the 5790 I dont think the 5790 is worth the 200 or so more.

Forum Regular
    the htrr 5790 is a better receiver then the rxv 650 in my opinion and I think most would agree basically the rxv 650 is equal to the 5750 and the 1400 to the 5790. all though for your situation you may not need the added features and slight power increase provided by the 5790. I've never demoed the other receivers though I have owned a denon and I would recomend their products to anyone looking for a new receiver. The 2803 does seem to pop up a lot on this forum. I have never listened to anything by marantz though they too have a good reputation, in the end I highly doubt you will be disappointed with any of these choices, see which one has all the features you want and need for the lowest price and then go with that receiver.

Have fun
    good luck

If it helps I have a simialr 5.1 setup and I bought the 5760 for 350 shipped, and its done everything I have asked it to do.

Ph

Forum Regular
    Oh yeah im running 5.1 at this time but nice thing is the 5760 and the 5790 support 7.1.

explain to me what is wrong with buying a refurbished receiever from an authorized dealer?

Forum Regular
    No explination needed you have your opinion i have mine.

Forum Regular
    I did find the RX-V1400 for $599 shipped, which is not bad. Now I can get the 5790 for $40 cheaper than that also. I guess my needs are actually pretty simple. I am running Acoustic Research CBM-170 Mains, and CMT-340c Center. Those are the only speakers I have currently. I have no subwoofer either. I thought it was time to purchase a new receiver before I moved on. My CBM-170 Mains will turn in to my surrounds and I will be getting the CMT-340 Mains. My sub will be a HSU, when I do get one.

I am sure all these receives would saffice, like the other equipment I have I want the best bang for the buck. 95% of my system will be for HT. I just figured picking a targat price was the best idea. Unless you don't feel I need something so expensive after all.

Forum Regular
    If your mainly using it for HT and some music then dont spend the xtra money get the htr 5760 and save yourself some money.

Forum Regular
    HTR-5760 has been ordered. $326.95 + $37 for 3 day shipping.

Forum Regular
    I think you made a good choice post back when you get it and tell me if ya like it.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Just an opinion...

Had the Denon 2803, liked it just fine... however, some liquid spilled into it and it fried. Went looking again and picked up a H/K AVR525... and couldn't be happier. Musically, much warmer than the Denon. Never cared for the Yamaha's I listened to when shopping, but that could've been the setups at the stores, so take that as you will.

Personally, I buy reconditioned if it's what I want, and I saved about $300. Unit has worked just fine over the last year or so I've had it. If you want to spend more for the same thing, go right ahead! (I work in the electronics business, so I know how these things work... besides, that's what the warranty is for). The remote did go out, however I called H/K and without ANY questions ask (even when did I buy it or from whom), they shipped me a new remote.

Forum Regular
    I have it hooked up and working finer. The sound is sooo different then what I had before. It was very clear, I don't undertand these negative sound levels -32 and such... it goes up +whatever. What is your your yamaha normal listening number?

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I don't think you can draw too much from the "-32" dB on the display other than a relative figure for comparison purposes.
    On some Yamaha receivers where the range ends at "0 dB", Yamaha recommends safe playback up to -15 dB.
    Since the RX-V5760 will go to +16.5 dB or something, it may be possible on your receiver to exceed -15 dB. Don't try it on my advice though, I'd consult with Yamaha first.

Here's a link to Yamaha's FAQ's on this subject (which appear slightly outdated since receivers now go above "0dB").
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/f...vers/faq41.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information