Forum Regular

The AVIA DVD Guide to Home Theater

Anyone familiar with this? I just ordered this because there is a wait at Netflix and apparently Netflix doesn't come with the filters. I definately need to use this on my Panasonic 34" HD. I went on another board and the settings these people put for this make me think they're totally blind. I'm debating to use this on my audio as well as I'm pretty happy with my sound & don't want to purchase an SPL. The preset factory setting on my Mitsubishi 48" HD TV were excellent & I'm still using but they the Panasonic definately needs some tweaking.

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    AVIA is pretty good. Lots of good info on it. Be warned though, you might not like what it tells you to do both with your TV and your audio setup. Especially if you're attached to the factory pre-sets.

Trust the DVD though. In the case of you TV, it can save its useful life by years, and maintain picture quality over time. You can also be assured that colors are accurate, as they intended, the level of white and black is what it should be, not what arbitrarily "looks best". I know a few people who've felt the picture looked less vibrant after, only to realize after a few days that other TV's look blurry and exaggerated. It takes a bit of getting use to, especially if you're use to what you have now. But there's a reason all the experts in the industry made standards.

Smart purchase!

Pat
    Forum Regular
    It did take a day or to to get used to the change but it is now the best picture I have ever seen on my TV set. I would absoloutely recommend it to someone.
    Have a good day.....Sez' Pat
    Denon 685 Receiver & 2900 Player, Sonographe 120 Amp, Klipsch RF7 Speakers, 2039+ svs Sub, 10gauge solid core copper cables

Forum Regular
    I hope you at least lowered the contrast level on your Mitsubishi. Most come with the contrast at 100%, to look good in bright show rooms (which is bad because it can burn out the TV very quickly).

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader3k
    I hope you at least lowered the contrast level on your Mitsubishi. Most come with the contrast at 100%, to look good in bright show rooms (which is bad because it can burn out the TV very quickly).
    No I haven't changed anything on the Mitsubishi. To me whatever the factory preset was on the 48" Mitsubishi HD set I have is perfect. On my Panasonic though that I just got the picture seems a tad too dark- I can't quite put a finger on it, which is why I ordered the Avia. I went to one board where the settings people suggested were totally ridiculous- the picture for their settings were washed up & dull- I don't know if those people are blind or what.

Thread Information