Forum Regular

Question Which AV Receiver????

Which one is better? Onkyo TX NR 801 or Denon 3805??

Forum Regular
    I can say, with complete confidence, that the better receiver is, after you have carefully examined their features and specifications, have closely inspected each of them and have manually manipulated their controls, the one which you like best.

Seriously, they are both very nice, powerful receivers that have alot of features. Look at those features and decide which of them you need/want and which you don't. Go look at both of them; spend some time with them. See which one strikes your fancy. Fiddle with the dials and buttons and see which of the two feels better to you. Go online and download their respective manuals and see which of them looks like it will be easier to operate.

As far as listening goes, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in sound between them, assuming they're playing through identical speakers. Some audiophiles will tell you that they can discern differences in sound between two comparable receivers/amps. Perhaps they can; I can't.

Seeking the opinions of others can be reassuring, but it can also be confusing. You'll find that some folks, particularly Onkyo owners, will rave about Onkyo. Some, particularly Denon owners, will rave about Denon. Still others will tell you to buy neither -- that you should consider other brands. You may come away feeling overwhelmed and with no clear picture of which is better for you. I think that, at that price point, either of these receivers will serve you well.

JSE
    I would go with the Denon only because it is a more current up-to-date model and has the auto calibration system.

Other than that, it's a tossup.

JSE

Forum Regular
    Reliability,price for features,Pure Direct,component video switching,power,auto calibrate...Denon is sweet.
    Best receiver I've owned to date

Thread Information