Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool Audyssey odessey

    I LIKE my Sharp Blu player, hated replacing it.
    But today I reset the microprocessor, and its working fine(hate to do that).
    But the default is LPCM, and I Like the receiver doing the decoding of audio codecs.
    Well, I finally got that switched back around, and the little light came on my reciever.
    And the sound! A lot better with the receiver doing the decoding chores.
    TURNS out that LPCM goes straight through my receiver with no chaser, and no
    AUDYSSEY.
    And what a difference Audyssey makes. Some like treating a room, I never have.
    well, with AUDYSSEY you don't have to, really, just set the little plastic mike and let this program do its little dance. The difference in sound is nothing short of spectacular,
    as I have recently been reminded. LETS just make it a legal requirement that it is put on
    every receiver costing more than fifty bucks. OKAY?
    Once a skeptic, now a fanatic. You can play around with panels and wall treatments
    all you want. BUT that just became unnecessary. And I have a new item on my list
    of "must have" features when buying a processor.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  2. #2
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    You can play around with panels and wall treatments
    all you want. BUT that just became unnecessary.
    Room treatments treat rooms. For everyone in the room. EQ treats the spot where the mic is placed. Which works fine for solo viewing from one place.

    rw

  3. #3
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Room treatments treat rooms. For everyone in the room. EQ treats the spot where the mic is placed. Which works fine for solo viewing from one place.

    rw
    Not Audyssey Ralph. My version of Audyssey will allow you to EQ 32 different points in space. In my rather large room, that kind of flexibility allows for a flat response in 12 seats. My room is rather generous with seating, so 12 is all I chose to use.

    I still use room treatments though, because in doing so, I don't have to rely 100% on the Audyssey processing to get the job done.

    A lot better with the receiver doing the decoding chores.
    This is completely false. At Disney we have done DBT testing on this, and nobody and I mean NOBODY could hear the difference. The decoding chips for both the players and the receivers are all standardized. No decoding is better than the other, the chips performance is pretty much the same.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  4. #4
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Not Audyssey Ralph. My version of Audyssey will allow you to EQ 32 different points in space. In my rather large room, that kind of flexibility allows for a flat response in 12 seats. My room is rather generous with seating, so 12 is all I chose to use.
    First of all, is that what Pix uses? Don't think so. So, the system averages the output and individually equalizes each speaker for "ideal" output. How does that really address low frequency modes far away from the speakers?

    rw

  5. #5
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    First of all, is that what Pix uses? Don't think so.
    Pixelbrain's allows for 8 different measurements, which is still better than conventional equalization. 8 measurements is enough for small and medium sized rooms.


    So, the system averages the output and individually equalizes each speaker for "ideal" output.
    That is correct


    How does that really address low frequency modes far away from the speakers?

    rw
    It is not just measuring the speakers, but the speakers response in the room which includes room modes.(it does not deal with nodes for obvious reasons)
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  6. #6
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    It is not just measuring the speakers, but the speakers response in the room which includes room modes.(it does not deal with nodes for obvious reasons)
    My question is not so much how it calculates the answers, but rather how it delivers them given it has limited points where it can apply the correction. Do you spread your subs around the room? If not, I don't see how that could be as effective as doing the same with bass traps. Or for the majority of folks who use but one sub.

    rw

  7. #7
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    My question is not so much how it calculates the answers, but rather how it delivers them given it has limited points where it can apply the correction. Do you spread your subs around the room? If not, I don't see how that could be as effective as doing the same with bass traps. Or for the majority of folks who use but one sub.

    rw
    Let's push one myth aside early in the game. Most bass traps are not particularly effective below 80hz. They reduce the overall bass energy in the room, but cannot address particular frequencies. Audyssey can deal with a particular room mode more effectively than bass traps, because it can target its correction to a particular frequency.

    My subs are not spread around the room, they are on the front wall, on the floor just below the screen.

    Those 32 points in a room can be closely targeted, or spread out to cover all seating areas. Bass traps not only reduce energy near walls and corners, but in the center of the room as well. That part of the room is usually where the bass is the weakest anyway. Audyssey only reduces energy where it is needed, and leaves all of the other frequencies that are flat alone.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  8. #8
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Most bass traps are not particularly effective below 80hz.
    Nor are they intended to be. Just the ones you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Those 32 points in a room can be closely targeted...
    Via exactly what when you use seven speakers? Do you use 32?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Audyssey only reduces energy where it is needed, and leaves all of the other frequencies that are flat alone.
    So with each speaker's EQ profile, it magically decreases bass at one distance and not at another? Right!

    rw

  9. #9
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Via exactly what when you use seven speakers? Do you use 32?
    My system does not use seven speakers, it uses seven channels. This system does not just measure speakers, but it measures the speakers response at the position you put the microphone in. Each speaker including the sub(s) can be measured and have correction applied from 32 points in space.


    So with each speaker's EQ profile, it magically decreases bass at one distance and not at another? Right!

    rw
    It will only reduce the bass at points where it is needed. If 30 measuring points don't need any bass correction but 2 do, it will only apply correction on those 2. It does what it has to do to flatten the response over the measured area.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  10. #10
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Each speaker including the sub(s) can be measured and have correction applied from 32 points in space.
    Using seven sources.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    IIt does what it has to do to flatten the response over the measured area.
    I'll ask the question again. How does a speaker reduce output near its proximity while not doing the same in the middle of the room? This is based upon your assertion that "Audyssey only reduces energy where it is needed". Clearly such is not possible when correction is needed at various distances from the seven "correction" sources.

    Further, EQ cannot address other room issues such as first reflection points and factors which create an overly live and reflective room based upon wall and floor construction.

    rw

  11. #11
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Using seven sources.


    I'll ask the question again. How does a speaker reduce output near its proximity while not doing the same in the middle of the room? This is based upon your assertion that "Audyssey only reduces energy where it is needed". Clearly such is not possible when correction is needed at various distances from the seven "correction" sources.

    Further, EQ cannot address other room issues such as first reflection points and factors which create an overly live and reflective room based upon wall and floor construction.

    rw
    Rather than arguing against your ignorance, here are some links that describe what the system does, and how well it does it.

    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...ound-equalizer

    http://www.stereophile.com/musicintheround/307mitr/

    http://www.stereophile.com/musicinth...itr/index.html


    While non of these reviews include the XT32 pro with the professional kit, it does address the MultiEQ XT Pro, a system a step down from mine
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  12. #12
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Rather than arguing against your ignorance, here are some links that describe what the system does, and how well it does it.
    Thanks for reminding me to read the Stereophile article again.

    "This suggests that MultEQ Pro is not a panacea, but requires an already well-configured system in a reasonably good acoustic environment—and Audyssey says as much. To correct the sound of a room whose surfaces consisted entirely of tiles and windows would be asking too much. "

    rw

  13. #13
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    7,697

    Delighted with Audyssey results

    I was deighted with the Audyssey results in case of my rather modest Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver that I've had 6-7 months -- far better than anything I'd got by simply selecting "large" vs. "small" and entering distance from listening position.

    This isn't to argue against room treatments or sensible speaker postioning, let me be clear.

    According to Onkyo, my receiver includes "Audyssey 2EQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ". I have forgotten exactly what each does. In my case I have 3 three microphone positions that instructions say are supposed to be different listening positions. It does seem that the calibration process takes into consideration each speaker for each of the three listening postions. I.e. somehow each channel is corrected to reflect some sort of average of the three positions. Anyway, it works pretty well.

  14. #14
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    This isn't to argue against room treatments or sensible speaker postioning, let me be clear.
    Nor am I arguing against the benefits of EQ. Just the unsupported claims. I would like to have that feature with my mid-fi HT system given the room it's in.

    rw

  15. #15
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    [QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible]Not Audyssey Ralph. My version of Audyssey will allow you to EQ 32 different points in space. In my rather large room, that kind of flexibility allows for a flat response in 12 seats. My room is rather generous with seating, so 12 is all I chose to use.


    This is completely false. At Disney we have done DBT testing on this, and nobody and I mean NOBODY could hear the difference. The decoding chips for both the players and the receivers are all standardized. No decoding is better than the other, the chips performance is pretty much the same.
    As usual you misunderstand completely.
    REREAD the post(or read it for the first time).
    My BLU player was outputting LPCM, which my receiver read as multichannel, which means that my AUDYSSEY was not on. AFTER I changed the output to "bitstream" , leaving my receiver to do the decoding chores , activating AUDYSSEY, improving the sound immensely. IN other words you missed the point, as usual.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  16. #16
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    First of all, is that what Pix uses? Don't think so. So, the system averages the output and individually equalizes each speaker for "ideal" output. How does that really address low frequency modes far away from the speakers?

    rw
    No, never heard of such a thing, but my system allows for several points of measurement,
    three or more, I really don't recall at the moment. I just used two.
    And to address another point you raise, yes room treatment can be done in addition to
    AUDYSSEY, but, IMHO, is completely redundant, a waste of time.
    IF you ever use this EQ system you will see what I am talking about. BASICALLY,
    this system compensates for room problems, leaving no need to fix them.
    ALSO, talky and I COMPLETELY disagree on just about everything, but we do agree
    on the basic goodness of AUDYSSEY. Even Talky sees the advantages of it.
    And yes, you would like this with your "mid-fi" system.
    MY "MID-FI" system sounds like a million bucks with this system.
    ITS so good that my usual preference for as pure a signal path for audio listening as possible has changed somewhat. A real advance. A real use of computer power to improve sound, and to allow for the complicated task of EQ for multichannel systems.
    THE best sounding system I have ever heard was one belonging to a friends dad.
    AN EQ'ED system using a record with tones for each band to zero out the levels.
    Sounded amazing. And AUDYSSEY is the first thing I have ever seen to beat it.
    Out of all of the changes to my system in the past year or so, this is the best.
    I love having friends over and doing a comparo between AUDYSSEY switched off and on.
    Even cillvillians who don't notice much of anything are amazed by the difference .
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  17. #17
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Thanks for reminding me to read the Stereophile article again.

    "This suggests that MultEQ Pro is not a panacea, but requires an already well-configured system in a reasonably good acoustic environment—and Audyssey says as much. To correct the sound of a room whose surfaces consisted entirely of tiles and windows would be asking too much. "

    rw
    Those comments apply to the MultEQ pro, not the MultEQXT32 Pro. There is a world of difference between the two. More filters with higher resolution and more processing power. Two of my smaller rooms run XT32 Pro, and they have zero acoustical treatment in them aside from wall to wall carpet and the furniture.

    Kal's review applies to his room and system. It does not translate to my room and system. It applies to the level of the processing he used, not the one I use. In other words, his comments cannot be universally applied to all rooms, and he has stated that on Hometheatershack were he often visits.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

  18. #18
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Using seven sources.


    I'll ask the question again. How does a speaker reduce output near its proximity while not doing the same in the middle of the room? This is based upon your assertion that "Audyssey only reduces energy where it is needed". Clearly such is not possible when correction is needed at various distances from the seven "correction" sources.

    Further, EQ cannot address other room issues such as first reflection points and factors which create an overly live and reflective room based upon wall and floor construction.

    rw
    Sorry, but wrong.
    Analog EQ maybe, but this system plays back a tone which has to sound a certain way,
    in several different circumstances. Its not just playing a test tone and adjusting for
    one parameter, but several.
    AS A MATTER OF FACT, "room" treatment might actually decrease the
    effectiveness of this EQ system, as this system adjusts your system based on your room
    and how its laid out., "Treating" it will change what the EQ has adjusted for.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  19. #19
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I was deighted with the Audyssey results in case of my rather modest Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver that I've had 6-7 months -- far better than anything I'd got by simply selecting "large" vs. "small" and entering distance from listening position.

    This isn't to argue against room treatments or sensible speaker postioning, let me be clear.

    According to Onkyo, my receiver includes "Audyssey 2EQ, Audyssey Dynamic Volume, and Audyssey Dynamic EQ". I have forgotten exactly what each does. In my case I have 3 three microphone positions that instructions say are supposed to be different listening positions. It does seem that the calibration process takes into consideration each speaker for each of the three listening postions. I.e. somehow each channel is corrected to reflect some sort of average of the three positions. Anyway, it works pretty well.
    I set up a friends 508 several months ago, and it does sound great.
    MY receiver(Integra 6.9) allows for up to six positions. According to my manual,
    the system detects the speakers connected, their properties, bass management crossover
    info, distances, etc. It then adjusts for the room in freq and time domain, so it
    would seem that "room treatments" would actually lessen the effectiveness .
    DYNAMIC EQ maintains proper octave to octave balance at any volume level.
    SO I wouldn't bother with room treatment with this type of eq.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  20. #20
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    Kal's review applies to his room and system. It does not translate to my room and system. .
    Those were your references which I had read before.

    rw

  21. #21
    Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    down there
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    ALSO, talky and I COMPLETELY disagree on just about everything, but we do agree
    on the basic goodness of AUDYSSEY. Even Talky sees the advantages of it.
    Somebody has to feel awkward about this...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

  22. #22
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Somebody has to feel awkward about this...
    Not really. TALKY had to be right about something, sooner or later.
    NO WORRIES, he can still vote for Obama.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  23. #23
    Music Junkie E-Stat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,463
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    Analog EQ maybe, but this system plays back a tone which has to sound a certain way in several different circumstances. Its not just playing a test tone and adjusting for one parameter, but several.
    Maybe some day you'll understand the cause and effect of a speaker's first reflection points in a room. Hint: they are created by the speaker's radiation pattern which is largely independent of frequency. Applying EQ does not change the underlying cause - the radiation pattern of the speaker itself. Nor does it combat slap echo.

    rw

  24. #24
    Forum Regular pixelthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    tuscaloosa
    Posts
    5,628

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Maybe some day you'll understand the cause and effect of a speaker's first reflection points in a room. Hint: they are created by the speaker's radiation pattern which is largely independent of frequency. Applying EQ does not change the underlying cause - the radiation pattern of the speaker itself. Nor does it combat slap echo.

    rw
    REGULAR PLAIN OLD "EQ" NO. You do realise that this is a computer program that
    reads not just freq but time and distance
    NOW I gave up the scopes and other sophisticated gear I used to have, but the literature
    says it compensates for rooms, and I TEND TO BELIEVE THEM.
    Why? Because the results speak for themselves, and the results are silly good .
    I didn't use AUDYSSEY the first several months, only after setting up a friends receiver
    including his AUDYSSEY, and being floored by the results. A modest Onkyo 508
    and it sounded amazing, so I decided to try it. SO I understand your skepticism.
    I was there also. AND trust me, this is not a simple compensation program.
    Its a software program and a silly triangle shaped mike, and the results are amazing.
    IT combats bad sound, in other words, and is something else entirely.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

  25. #25
    M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,724
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Maybe some day you'll understand the cause and effect of a speaker's first reflection points in a room. Hint: they are created by the speaker's radiation pattern which is largely independent of frequency. Applying EQ does not change the underlying cause - the radiation pattern of the speaker itself. Nor does it combat slap echo.

    rw
    Ralph, I don't need you to lecture me about room acoustics, I have minor degree in it okay.

    First, nobody has definitive information on the helpfulness of treating first reflections. Some acoustician's think you have to absorb those first reflections, and others say to diffuse it. Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction" states that first reflections should be treated only when the speakers have a poor off axis frequency response. Dennis Erskine, and Earl Geddes agree with this approach. Others say that the distance between the speakers and the walls determine if the first reflection should be treated. Another school of thought says that angling the speakers directly at the listeners reduces the amplitude of first reflections. This reduces the need for side wall treatment.

    Other school of thought's say the rules for first reflection treatment are invalid for multichannel systems, as wall treatments would disturb "phantom" imaging between the left and right and left and right side speakers. Another consideration is the use of full and extended range speakers versus sub sat systems.

    The reality is the proof is in the pudding, and both of my system using XT32 and no room treatments achieve a post processing measurement of -+2.5 from 20-50khz. That is an excellent measurement in anyone's book, so please spare me your outdated beliefs based on two channel thinking and conventional EQ..

    As far as slap echo, there is only a problem with them if you hear them in your room. I don't in mine.
    Sir Terrence

    Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Grass Valley Cell based Pro HD A/V switcher
    Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 EQ module
    Audyssey XT32 Sub module
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    5 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    14 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surrounds
    3 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest AudioReview Articles

Hot Deals

Latest News

AudioReview on Facebook