Forum Regular

Audio noob w/$600, which route should I take? Component or HTiB? Heres what I want...

I'm real interested in the Onkyo HTS-760 home theater in a box setup. Most people who have them seem to love them, and even non-owners say it's a great system, especially for the price. I've also read many articles that rag on the HTiB's and insist component is the only way to go. So I'm a little confused over which route to take, especially since I'm so audio inept.

HTiB's just seem so much more simple since a component system requires different research for receivers and then with all the different speaker types out there, I'd be lost. And then I would have to make sure all the speakers work together for surround, something called voice/tone matched I believe? Not to mention I don't want to spend anything over $600, considering I could get the Onkyo entire setup for $500.

I plan on using the setup for DVD's, XBOX, TV (mostly sports games), and occasionally a CD (or music from my computer, if that's possible). The room size is approximately 15' x 25, with a large opening on the left side to another portion of the basement.

Given what I plan on using the setup for, and the budget I have to work with, what do you feel is my best bet?

NOTE: for anyone who wants to see the specs on the onkyo, here's the link: http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S...ss=Systems&p=i

Thanks!

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Well I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination but I did just purchase the Onkyo HT-S760 today at Circuit City. It is replacing a Bose Lifestyle system that I bought 9 years ago for almost 4 times the cost. (Oh to have a mulligan on that decision) I've only been listening to it for a couple of hours but I think it sounds every bit as good as the Bose, maybe better. My living room is a little smaller than the room in which you'll be using it but it seems to have plenty of power to spare. The speakers are quite a bit bigger than the Bose cubes I had gotten used to but if that's not an issue with you I would recommend it. The receiver has a good bit of flexibility. You can adjust the number of speakers, distance to listener, surround mode, sound field depth, individual speaker volume, etc., etc. So far I think it is well worth the $499 I paid for it.

looks good

This is most definently your best bet in this range. As you get more money you can invest in better front speakers and a better subwoofer. This should be fine for you, just dont expect anything that will blow you away. Ofcourse the best course to take would be to buy a $200 receiver and a nice pair of front speakers and maybe a center for the remaing $400. The Onkyo should be adequate if you just want some surround sound at a great price.

-Joey

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    I'm going to have to agree with This Guy's post. It's going to hard for you to find a better value for under $500 in HT. Onkyo, while I've never heard this particular gear, impressed me with it's Integra line.

I would preface my opinion with the fact that you have a relatively large room @ 15' X 25', and you'll probably be pushing the unit to distortion if you listen to HT at anything close to standard theater levels.

DTS theater specs call out 105 dB max volume (at seats) , and a surprising 115 dB from the .1 or sub channel! With BOTH of my subs, I can just about get there. This is of course a transient reading, for things such as a cannon shot, or explosion, and would never be for extended passages or we would all be deaf after leaving the theater! Most people never set volume at this level anyway, so your probably fine.

Oh, I also like that they rate the receiver power into 4 ohms in the specs. This tells me that your receiver will have no problem if you want to upgrade to speakers that might have a lower impedance. As it stands though, with you wanting it for mostly X-box, sports TV, and HT in that order, I think you'll be happy with what you have out of the box.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular

Best Bet

and I think its a no brainer here. Onkyo is a very good manufacturer and the specs in this "box" set-up appear to be excellent for the price. While a purist may go down the component path---this seems very good for what you want to acheive and the price seems right to me. I expect this will be a very easy set-up and you should acheive good sound without any headaches.

you can get it refurbed for $459 shipped with a free DVD player at www.shoponkyo.com, just register for club onkyo and go to club price

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psonic
    you can get it refurbed for $459 shipped with a free DVD player at www.shoponkyo.com, just register for club onkyo and go to club price
    I considered this but ultimately felt that the convenience of being able to return a piece for repair/replacement locally rather than having to ship it back to Onkyo was worth the little extra I paid at Circuit City. Plus I got no interest until May 2005 so I get to pay about $45 per month (bought a couple other things) rather than the whole thing upfront.

By the way, maybe it's my imagination but it sounds even better to me today

you haven't heard anything yet, those speakers will loosen up and the sound will open up a lot in the next week or two, mine seemed to need around 30hrs of play to sound really good... keep listening!

Thread Information