Arcam to Rotel Upgrade?

I currently have the Arcam AVR300 and when visiting a local Arcam and Rotel dealer, was offered to "upgrade" to a Rotel RSP1066 / RMB1075 Amp combo for almost no money. The combo would be new and my Arcam is only a few months old. I have been told that it is better to separate the processing and amplification so I wonder if this is worth it. Also, I know that Rotel and Arcam are very similar with regard to the musical quality, although I watch more movies than listen to music (60% movies / 40% music). I also have been told that the Rotel combo is more powerful and can drive my B&W speakers better. This, I am somewhat skeptical on as both seem that they would be just about the same in driving my speakers.

Bottom line: Is there a quality difference and if so, is it worth changing? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the comments.
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I own a nice little RA-1070 integrated, but in all honesty, I don't think the Rotel is an upgrade in quality or power over an Arcam...probably a step-sideways.
    At that level of quality, for home theater, I doubt there's much benefit to the signal separation, certainly not much "audible" between these units, particularly if you use it for movies more than music.
    The decision should ultimately depend on the features offered by the Rotel gear vs. the ones you already have...if you get more "real" power and processing gizmo's, then I could see it being a good move. Of course, ideally you'd be able to do an in-house comparison of the sound of both units on your speakers.
    But upgrading for the sake of upgrading is probably not going to help you any.
    That Arcam shouldn't have a single bit of trouble driving your speakers. It ain't no cheapo power supply in that unit.

The benefit to buying a separate amp, however, is that you only need to upgrade processors in the future (for the usuable life of the amp). Personally, I haven't found the used market for processors to be that great, sometimes receivers are a better value in this regard.

Not sure this helps any, but some food for thought.

Just an after thought...Why the hell is the salesman so eager to take on such an expensive 2nd hand unit and swap you straight up (or close to it)? Something about that just doesn't "feel right"...know what I mean? Dealer loaded incentives on Rotel? High mark-up? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Just an after thought...Why the hell is the salesman so eager to take on such an expensive 2nd hand unit and swap you straight up (or close to it)? Something about that just doesn't "feel right"...know what I mean? Dealer loaded incentives on Rotel? High mark-up? Who knows.
    First off, thanks kexodusc for your input. To answer you question though, I wouldn't say that the salesman was eager... here is the quick story:

I went back to the same place I bought my Arcam and in talking about really good pre-amp/amp combos, the Rotel came up. He then told me that since I had purchased my Arcam only recently, he would allow me to do a switch for just the difference. I didn't get too much into the details, but I think there was going to be a small fee associated with it though because of the fact that I had temporarily used the Arcam. Regardless, the money difference was not that big, so was thinking about it. And I do know what you mean about feeling right... I was stunned that he offered this, but I think I am going to stay. I already have my Arcam setup and it sounds fantastic!

Thanks again.
    "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." -Jimmy V

Well, I'm not incredibly familiar with all thes units...might not be a bad idea to do some research of the various models. Rotel makes great stuff, so does Arcam. I just did a quick 30 second look at specs and nothing immediately popped out.
    If you find you can improve going the Rotel route, great, I'd probably do it. If not, well, you've re-enforced your purchase decision and probably learned a bit more?
    I know the Arcam receivers are highly thought of though. Hell, wish I had one.

Forum Regular

really like that jimmy v. quote!

pasted it into my 'quotes' document......

Quote Originally Posted by alumpkin
    First off, thanks kexodusc for your input. To answer you question though, I wouldn't say that the salesman was eager... here is the quick story:

I went back to the same place I bought my Arcam and in talking about really good pre-amp/amp combos, the Rotel came up. He then told me that since I had purchased my Arcam only recently, he would allow me to do a switch for just the difference. I didn't get too much into the details, but I think there was going to be a small fee associated with it though because of the fact that I had temporarily used the Arcam. Regardless, the money difference was not that big, so was thinking about it. And I do know what you mean about feeling right... I was stunned that he offered this, but I think I am going to stay. I already have my Arcam setup and it sounds fantastic!

Thanks again.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alumpkin
    I was offered to "upgrade" to a Rotel RSP1066 / RMB1075 Amp combo for almost no money.

Bottom line: Is there a quality difference and if so, is it worth changing? Any thoughts?
    Please note that the rsp 1066 has been discontinued. The rsp 1066 was replaced by the rsp 1068. If you do the trade, I would demand the newer unit, as processors are highly effected by new advances in technology and become out dated more quickly than any other piece in your stereo. That being said, I would rather have separates for the same reason as a previous poster mentioned. You can swap the processor without having to spend extra $$$ for amplification in the future.

Thread Information