Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Suspended

Any experience with SVS?

I've been looking at subs. I'll eventually get my Velodyne fixed but it doesn't appear this is going to be as easy as I thought. But this isn't about that.

Sub placement is difficult in my room because the front wall, including corners, are pretty much taken up. I was thinking a SVS cylinder may be easier to place. Any experience with the company or subs themselves? I'd mainly like to see a comparison of them to any other brand.

I've also looked at REL. It seems they recommend a corner placement. They also recommend a high level input opposed to line level and with HT both simultaneously. If this wasn't enough, they don't answer their email. Yeah, they're supposed to be good but when you go against the way every other sub is used and connected you should make yourself available. The dealer hasn't been much help either. All I get is "oh yeah, that will work". Then when you mention something about the product and surprise them and I'm thinking they should know this, i begin to have serious doubts about "oh yeah, that will work". So yeah, I'm venting, what are friends for it not to hear some venting once in a while

I don't want to but I could use a back corner. Any problem if I used a 30 foot or so RCA connection to a sub? SVS says a rear corner should work as well as a front corner. I'm also finding out regardless of what some have said in threads here that all the brands of subs I've looked at all say that corner placement is best and usually will yield a flatter response than any where else in the room. This is a concern since I don't really want a corner placement. I could use that back corner if pushed into it though

Cool

People who get SVS tend to become fanatics.
    As far as your Velodyne , a sub is the easiest thing to fix.
    Order a "plate amp" and plug it into the back, or get someone you know to do it for you.
    If its the woofer, replacements are pretty easy to find.

http://www.parts-express.com/wizards...TOKEN=69102717
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Unfortunately you can't just order a plate amp and stick it in the back. So I hope you haven't dropped a few hundred on one yet. Make sure you measure the cutouts. A lot of OEM plate amps have special mounting plate sizes and shapes to facilitate easier, quicker assembly in mass production and off-the-shelf plate amps don't always fit. Measure the cutout on the back of your sub first. Then look to see if you can even find a similar fit. If you can't it's not such an easy job for people without some wood-working skills.

I''ve heard some SVS subs, including the cylinders. I'm probably one of the few people that didnt' become a fanatic. In my opinion a lot of SVS buyers pick SVS for their second subwoofers...they buy entry-levelish stuff from B&W, Polk, etc, the usual poor performing entry level sub that is inexpensive, then buy an SVS and are blown away by relatively better performance. Hence explaining some of the fanboy-ism. But they certainly are decent subs, I just don't find them any better than HSU, REL, etc, at at many price points wouldn't be my first pick. My personal preference would be for either HSU or REL but SVS has some decent, cheaper models and their sonotube subs are kinda neat.

I've never had a problem with 30 foot RCA on my subs. Use a Y-splitter though if you're at all worried.

I've always thought corner placement would yield less of an even frequency response, but more boost.
    I don't know what your budget is, but definitely look into Rythmik Audio subs. They are servo-controlled. www.rythmikaudio.com
    I've heard good things on SVS, especially for HT use. I don't think you can go wrong.

Let us know what the verdict is.

Suspended
    I was looking at the new PC13 Ultra by SVS.

Kex, you think HSU is better? Have you played with any REL, what do you think of their hook up?

I'll check that link, AA.

If it's the plate amp I would want an exact replacement. I don't want to ship the thing but may have to. There's a place in town that sells Velodyne and their service department repairs them but I went out there on a Saturday, got there a half hour after they were supposed to be open waiting another half hour and finally left. This rubbed me the wrong way but I will eventually suck it up and take it in, just call to make sure the door is open first.

I saw a Velodyne CT-150 on CL but it was sold before I could get to it. I saw another HGS-12 but they were asking $750.00 which seems too high even though it's a series higher than the SPL, plus it's about as old.

I'll say one thing SVS really sells their product. They make it sound like they are the best game in town. I am just entertaining getting another one. I use a sub for HT only. Velodyne has all new models now. One advantage of REL is I could borrow one for audition. I just don't know if they would work with only a single LFE input since they recommend that plus a high level connection. It's a bit pricy but I was looking at the R-505

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    I was looking at the new PC13 Ultra by SVS.

Kex, you think HSU is better? Have you played with any REL, what do you think of their hook up?

I'll check that link, AA.

If it's the plate amp I would want an exact replacement. I don't want to ship the thing but may have to. There's a place in town that sells Velodyne and their service department repairs them but I went out there on a Saturday, got there a half hour after they were supposed to be open waiting another half hour and finally left. This rubbed me the wrong way but I will eventually suck it up and take it in, just call to make sure the door is open first.

I saw a Velodyne CT-150 on CL but it was sold before I could get to it. I saw another HGS-12 but they were asking $750.00 which seems too high even though it's a series higher than the SPL, plus it's about as old.

I'll say one thing SVS really sells their product. They make it sound like they are the best game in town. I am just entertaining getting another one. I use a sub for HT only. Velodyne has all new models now. One advantage of REL is I could borrow one for audition. I just don't know if they would work with only a single LFE input since they recommend that plus a high level connection. It's a bit pricy but I was looking at the R-505
    Several years ago now, but I used to own a VTF-2, at the time I was thinking of an SB-12 (I think going on memory here) from SVS. I didn't only use my sub for HT though. But yes, the HSU was a bit better IMO. HSU doesn't market themselves nearly as much, as big, as flashy, or as well as SVS. Not that SVS doesn't have substance behind the glitter, but I think that sways decisions as much as anything.

Of course, after spending $1200+ on my last sub, I was able to achieve far better performance for my money building my own so I've been out of the commercial sub game for awhile now. The old REL I looked at was a Strata III. It was much better for music than most of the other subs I could find from the likes of Velodyne, Paradigm, and even HSU or SVS, but I wouldn't say it was the loudest or necessarily the best for HT use.

I don't think you can make a mistake with any of those 3 brands. I haven't kept up on what HSU's been doing, I think Worf also has an HSU sub and swears by it.

How much you looking to drop? I wouldn't be surprised if a replacement plate amp runs you $500-$700 anyway. I've found that dealer mark-ups on replacement parts is ridiculous. Might be able to talk them down some.

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I've always thought corner placement would yield less of an even frequency response, but more boost.
    I don't know what your budget is, but definitely look into Rythmik Audio subs. They are servo-controlled. www.rythmikaudio.com
    Yep; I'd look very hard at Rythmik.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Yep; I'd look very hard at Rythmik.
    Wow, those subs are very resonably priced. Not at all what I expected. I'm always keeping an eye open for good subs just in case my Paradigm Servo 15 burns to the ground one day, I'll have to bookmark these guys.

nightflier
    As a long-time owner of SVS subs, I will respectfully disagree with Kex on this one. I've owned several SVS subs including two cylinder subs and for the money, there was nothing that could compare. I've also had the VTF-2 from Hsu to audition, and it was comparable, but not necessarily better - I'd say that aside from the bass extension of the SVS (down to 16Hz.), they were very similar. I now have a SVS PB12+ (a sealed sub) and it is a great sub for the money, especially for music. I had to give up a little on the lower bass extension for it, but I don't miss it much. I've compared subs from other manufacturers, but unless you move up to $1200-1500, there isn't much that can compare. Rel subs are good (I auditioned the Strata III), but they are more expensive, spec for spec.

I will also say that both SVS and Hsu have been stellar with service and support. I've had many questions and they were all answered within a few hours (email) or within a few minutes (by phone). I once had to replace a driver from a sub that I purchased second hand (it had a very tiny tear in the surround) and SVS still offered to do this for free even though I wasn''t the original owner. They even walked me through taking the unit apart and installing the new driver. When I ordered my second sub, the shipment was late (by only a few days) and they threw in a free 15' cable and a t-shirt.

With Hsu, I've talked to Dr. Hsu and other techs on the phone and via email several times and they've always been very helpful as well. I never purchased a Sub from them directly, but they were even willing to help me with non Hsu subs. That should say a lot.

I've used 30' cables with subs w/o any problems.

LOL. 2 different people hear the same companies' wares and walk away with slightly different opinions. What does that tell ya, Mr. P?

I've no personal experience with Rythmik but their stuff is fairly well received in the DIY community.

Suspended
    NF, ever place the SVS any where other than a corner? If so, how did that go?

The REL R-505 is $2k. Not real enthused about spending that much and they are least likely to work in my set up. Also, this is for HT, REL is good for music but I have my doubts as to HT. I mean, we need some rumble, right?

The SVS PC13 Ultra would be about $1,500.00 with shipping I believe.

Some one told me Velodyne has a 1,000 watt 10" sub that would be comparable to what I had for $1,150.00. A tech estimated about $300.00 for a replacement amp, I hope he was right. At $700.00 I might as well buy a new one. Although I hate to think of gear this expensive being a throw away.

Cool

The REL R-505 is $2k. Not real enthused about spending that much and they are least likely to work in my set up. Also, this is for HT, REL is good for music but I have my doubts as to HT. I mean, we need some rumble, right?

The SVS PC13 Ultra would be about $1,500.00 with shipping I believe.

Some one told me Velodyne has a 1,000 watt 10" sub that would be comparable to what I had for $1,150.00. A tech estimated about $300.00 for a replacement amp, I hope he was right. At $700.00 I might as well buy a new one. Although I hate to think of gear this expensive being a throw away.
    You can go to the link I posted above and get one a lot cheaper.
    It doesnt have to be an exact match, and you do need the right size, but can work with
    a slightly smaller or larger one.
    When my B&W croaked I just ran my sub out through one of my rear channels,
    only 125 watts but it worked fine, at least until I found a replacement.
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

The SVS Ultra are, from what I heard, beasts. You would be stupid to spend 2K on the REL for what is probably a quarter of the performance for more money, if we're talking HT.
    I bet any SVS/HSU sub that's 500-1000$ will fit your needs.

Suspended
    You're probably right. The Rythmike 15" with the aluminum cone looked interesting too. I'm really leaning toward the Ultra for a few reasons but one of the main is I'm hoping the cylinder may not be as critical to put in a corner.

REL has cheaper subs and they did come back to say that if only being used for HT the LFE would be fine as a single connection. Two connections is where you can do both HT and 2-channel with same subs and not have to change anything once it is set up. If i went with the REL it would be cool to have it hooked both to my HT and CJ system. I'll have to look closer into that possibility.

If I had the room I could just go get me a couple monster Infinity subs for cheap, or cheaper any way. I have a little Infinity I just use in my second system and I've had that thing for more than 15 years. I had it repaired about that time, not long after warranty, but it's been going strong since. That's why I'm a bit leary of going back with a new Velodyne. I guess it could have taken a surge or some other incident beyond workmanship. I basically babied it though, no bottoming out or high gain.

I'm guessing if you're looking at the SVS, you'll have room for the 15" Rythmik. Could be a good option, and a good test to see how it fairs in your stereo system. The SVS will most likely have more grunt though, but won't be as good with music.

If you're looking at REL, you'll probably have to splash out and get either of their 2 top of the line subs in order to get close to the SVS Ultra's sheer output.
    If you can have the Velo fixed for 300$, I would do that.

Suspended
    Yeah, I have my doubts as to how well REL would do for HT. Or, other than recommended placement. I did send Velo an email to get an idea of what to do on my SPL.

I'm really tensing up on the trigger of a SVS, almost as much out of curiosity as much as necessity. They seem to think their subs will leave my SPL in the dust, and I was pretty happy with the job it did so this SVS might knock my socks off. They give a 45 day return so I wouldn't think they'd blow too much smoke. The 12 Plus cylinder has a glowing review where the reviewer compared it to his system's Martin Logan Decent which has three 10" drivers and the 12+ pretty much held it's own on HT but was out classed on music but at 3, almost 4 times the price. SVS is steering me toward the 13 Ultra though because I have a large door in back of my room that leads into another large room. I get the idea though that they want to be sure the customer is impressed. I'm thinking if the SPL was adequate and the 12+ is better..... then it should be alright.

The probleme with the Velodyne is its size & sealed nature which limit its output. That's why they have to compensate with a massively powerful amp. They are not a very efficient design, however the quality of their drivers and the high power amps make up for the loss. You end up paying more though.

nightflier

SVS & Rel

Just fine. Actually I preferred it that way; the corner was always a bit boomy.

As a side note: the best setup I ever heard was a pair of passive cylinder SVS subs connected to a mono amp (I think it was also by SVS). This was not in my house, but it was a system I helped set up. The only place I heard louder organ music in the sub-25Hz range was live. Price-tag was $1600 and I don't think there is any single sub at any price-point that can compare to that setup, if you have the room.

Rel was always a disappointment. Granted, I never had their more expensive subs to play with but price-wise they simply can't compete with SVS or Hsu. Not to mention they have quirky controls as well as internal wiring that was problematic with my PS Audio gear.

Honestly, if you want a great sub and you're not too particular about having a fancy finish, then this one just can't be beat for the price:

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-newpb12plus.cfm

You can seal the ports with the included plugs and it will be equally good on music. If that's too expensive, and you're not in California, this is another decent sub:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3-mk3.html

Ironically SVS pricing is now better than Hsu because of the taxes. Another brilliant move by our governator to bankrupt our state....

Suspended
    Velo says I can ship them the amp module for repair. They charge a flat fee of $230.00. I will have it fixed and pretty sure it will just be backup or in the second system because I about have my mind set to try the SVS. If I can find room it would be cool to put the Velo on just the center channel using the crossover input and out the high output back into the amp channel.

Suspended
    Well I did it. I pulled the trigger on a SVS PC13 Ultra. Even though I got a Return Authorization number from Velodyne to have my amp module repaired. That will cost $230.00. I'm wondering if I decided to sell the SPL-1200 if I'd even get my $230.00 back plus whatever the additional cost of shipping was. I'd rather fix it and have it around though than throw it away. Think any one would buy it as is? Of course, I'd have it to fall back on if this SVS doesn't perform to my expectations. All the talk of reference level bass and what I've read just has me curious and if it's all true I'll be pretty happy with the upgrade.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcultra_new.cfm

Nice move. The Ultra will no doubt go deeper and louder. I would definitely get the Velo fixed, it seems to be a nice unit. I would definitly take it off your hands for that price and then some.
    PS: you do realize that thing is HUGE?
    Last edited by audio amateur; 07-14-2009 at 04:34 AM.

Suspended
    I thought the footprint was only 16" and the size was in the height. I bet shipping anything to you would be expensive.

Well I did it. I pulled the trigger on a SVS PC13 Ultra. Even though I got a Return Authorization number from Velodyne to have my amp module repaired. That will cost $230.00. I'm wondering if I decided to sell the SPL-1200 if I'd even get my $230.00 back plus whatever the additional cost of shipping was. I'd rather fix it and have it around though than throw it away. Think any one would buy it as is? Of course, I'd have it to fall back on if this SVS doesn't perform to my expectations. All the talk of reference level bass and what I've read just has me curious and if it's all true I'll be pretty happy with the upgrade.

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pcultra_new.cfm
    Jumping in a bit late, but the only potential issue would be the massive amount of room gain you'll likely get from the SVS Ultra line. The SPL-1200 is a sealed box, while the PC13 Ultra is ported. I know that those SVS models have selectable EQ settings to account for room size, but standing waves in a small to medium sized room and the much less gradual drop off at the low end could give you a big low end gain that you hadn't anticipated.

Reference level bass is fine if it doesn't totally overpower the room, which can easily happen in any small to medium sized room. That bass extension is nice, but you might want to look into investing in a parametric equalizer if you find that the bass sounds boomy. In my experience, bad mismatch with the room can result in horrid sounding bass. An EQ'd subwoofer will sound better than just about any unEQ'd sub, especially in a smaller room.

If you find that the ported bass is not to your liking, SVS is coming out with two new sealed subwoofers in October, including sealed Ultra models in 13" and 16" sizes.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    I've heard good things on SVS, especially for HT use. I don't think you can go wrong.

Let us know what the verdict is.

Wow, thanx for the link. Always good to know that more sealed subwoofer options are out there if/when I decide to replace my Rava. I'd thought that the options were dwindling with the demise of Rocket's ULW line, and made-to-order outfits like Adire Audio and Acoustic Visions also going out of business. But, with SVS poised to have three sealed subs in their lineup by October, and other options still available, it seems I'll be okay.
    Wooch's Home Theater 2.0 (Pics)
    Panasonic VIERA TH-C50FD18 50" 1080p
    Paradigm Reference Studio 40, CC, and 20 v.2
    Adire Audio Rava (EQ: Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP1124)
    Yamaha RX-A1030
    Dual CS5000 (Ortofon OM30 Super)
    Sony UBP-X800
    Sony Playstation 3 (MediaLink OS X Server)
    Sony ES SCD-C2000ES
    JVC HR-S3912U
    Directv HR44 and WVB
    Logitech Harmony 700
    iPhone 5s/iPad 3
    Linksys WES610

The Neverending DVD/BD Collection

Subwoofer Setup and Parametric EQ Results *Dead Link*

Suspended
    Wooch, the current cylinder subs have port plugs that are used in conjunction with the frequency selector. The ports are tuned to 20 Hz, adding one plug goes even lower, forget exact point and plugging all 3 hit rock bottom. They recommend only 1 or all plugged. Doing two with one open could cause noise from the open port. Having them all plugged is supposed to be the same as a sealed enclosure. SVS does offer a single parametric EQ control. I believe this can be defeated though. I will set the sub up using an SPL meter but some time down the road I plan to use the Audessy system to see the result.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information