AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon 3802 Questions

The following is a note I sent to Denon Support. Hopefully someone here can be of help. I at a loss for what is gong on...

"I have a AVR-3802 purchased almost 4 years ago to the day (7/21/01) and it's worked great. Just recently I have noticed that when playing a DVD, the reciever's SIGNAL light does not light (DIGITAL or DTS) and DOLBY DIGITAL is not an option (LIKE IT USED TO BE) on the on-screen menu when you turn the SELECT dial. I'm getting audio but not digital. I tested this with Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. Also DIGITAL TV audio is not working.

I tried playing with DIGITAL IN ASSIGNMENTS and now I don't get anything. I moved the DVD optical from #2 to #1 and got sound. Moved it back to #2 and still no sound. Moved it back to #1 and now #1 has no sound. All the while changing the digital in assignments on the on screen set up screen. Now I can't get sound anywhere DD or DTS or otherwise. CD is fine.

Also, I have been using the MULTI source feature. That's great. Set the power amp assignment to MULTI and away you go. BUT why when you set the power assignment bact to SURROUNDBACK, MUTI still shows up on the receiver's display? What's up with that, most anoying. Makes you think something else is wrong.

Any help or comments will be appreciated."

Forum Regular
    I have the 3801 and do not use it on multi setting but if you haven't tried this it might help as for some reason whenIi got my second 3801 for my bedroom and put it on this week I initially didn't get any sound. When I pushed the button on the left side called auto the sound came on. Also make sure your setup has optic input on each function. Hope that will help If it doesn't try pushing the pcm and other buttons. Good luck. Also attach your headphones and see if you don't hear something. Make sure you didn't set the receiver up on the output headphone option and didn't set it back to normal output.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Denon 3802 Questions (Update)

Quote Originally Posted by jfrye
    The following is a note I sent to Denon Support. Hopefully someone here can be of help. I at a loss for what is gong on...

"I have a AVR-3802 purchased almost 4 years ago to the day (7/21/01) and it's worked great. Just recently I have noticed that when playing a DVD, the reciever's SIGNAL light does not light (DIGITAL or DTS) and DOLBY DIGITAL is not an option (LIKE IT USED TO BE) on the on-screen menu when you turn the SELECT dial. I'm getting audio but not digital. I tested this with Eagles Hell Freezes Over DVD. Also DIGITAL TV audio is not working.

I tried playing with DIGITAL IN ASSIGNMENTS and now I don't get anything. I moved the DVD optical from #2 to #1 and got sound. Moved it back to #2 and still no sound. Moved it back to #1 and now #1 has no sound. All the while changing the digital in assignments on the on screen set up screen. Now I can't get sound anywhere DD or DTS or otherwise. CD is fine.

Also, I have been using the MULTI source feature. That's great. Set the power amp assignment to MULTI and away you go. BUT why when you set the power assignment bact to SURROUNDBACK, MUTI still shows up on the receiver's display? What's up with that, most anoying. Makes you think something else is wrong.

Any help or comments will be appreciated."

I have managed to get sound from DVDs BUT the INPUT lights Dolby Digital or DTS do not light and I don't think I'm getting 5.1. How can you tell? And I am completly unable to get AUDIO on the Eagles DTS DVD. For DBS/TV (cable) the Dolby Digital INPUT signal lights up and works fine, I'm using a coaxial cable for this input. So my basic questions are...

1.) Why don't the INPUT lights (DD or DTS) light for DD or DTS DVD's?

2.) Why is there no AUDIO on the Eagle DTS DVD and OK on others, but again no INPUT light and 5.1 not sure?

3.) How can you tell if you are getting DD 5.1?

Thanks for listening and any help would be much appreciated.

Thread Information