Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Regular

Air Vents on Receivers

Right now, for space and aesthetic reasons, I have my DVD player on top of my Denon Receiver and thus its on top & blocking most of the Denon's air vents. Will this cause any harm to either system in the long run and/or affect performance?

Forum Regular
    I asked my local electronics store technician this same question- he said that there should be at last a 2-3 inch clearance on top of the receiver and a couple inches on each side. He also recommended an open back on the entertainment center- I had to cut the back out of my entertainment center anyway because my Yamaha is so darn big.

He also said one of the biggest things he takes care of repair wise is overheating of audio components.

I've heard of some people even installing small computer fans to help cool their receivers- especially if you run them very hard.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Never put anything on top of your reciever. Z is right about at least 3 inches. The new denons run abit cooler then the older ones but i've never needed a fan.
    Look & Listen

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The more space the better, I wouldn't go any less than 2 inches. You risk damaging both your receiver AND your DVD player...your receiver is essentially cooking the DVD player.

Forum Regular

Thanks to all

Thanks, I'm somehow going to see if I can get a top TV stand or something that I know Brookstone sells. Problem is all this stuff is on top of my 48" projector TV and there is no space to put it next to the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    The more space the better, I wouldn't go any less than 2 inches. You risk damaging both your receiver AND your DVD player...your receiver is essentially cooking the DVD player.

Quote Originally Posted by hershon
    Thanks, I'm somehow going to see if I can get a top TV stand or something that I know Brookstone sells. Problem is all this stuff is on top of my 48" projector TV and there is no space to put it next to the receiver.
    Everybody now: "Get an audio rack."

Forum Regular

Audio rack

Right now, for space and aesthetic reasons, I have my DVD player on top of my Denon Receiver and thus its on top & blocking most of the Denon's air vents. Will this cause any harm to either system in the long run and/or affect performance?
    Audio Advisor has a nice audio rack for $150.00 it has 4 shelves ,this might work for you. www.audioadvisor.com, good luck

Nah, the heat vents are just there for looks. Cover them up. While you're at it, plug the exaust pipe on your car..it's just for looks also. Plus it will make your car run better!

NO I'm just kidding! Dang...he's already run outside with a rag and a stick. Oh well

I'm just giving you a hard time man, definitely don't put anything on top of your receiver. Definitely get an audio rack!

Forum Regular
    I'm not disagreeing that airvents aren't there for a purpose & I'm probably going to follow advice here, but has anyone ever really experienced their receiver or DVD player destroyed because the vents were partially blocked?

Play your reciever for a couple of hours and then put your hand on top of it. That should answer your question. Heat isnt good for most electronic's longer lifespan. Some have builtin fans.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular
    You didn't say what model receiver you have, but several Denons have fans for disipating the heat, some variable speed. Also most audio equipment, players and receivers, have feet allowing some clearance and air to flow underneath. Unless you're really cranking the receiver producing a lot of heat, or there's no space between the player and the receiver, I don't see a problem for general listening. Any good engineer would design a little extra into the designs to allow for non-ideal situations. I would however, keep the door to the cabinet open. A little common sense would go a long way here. If you can touch the top of the receiver and it's hot, most definitely allow for better air flow, if only warm chances are you can get by in your current configuration.

Denons run hot.
    Look & Listen

Forum Regular

Thanks KFalls

I have the Denon 3801 and yes there is about 3/8" or so of feet on my DVD player on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kfalls
    You didn't say what model receiver you have, but several Denons have fans for disipating the heat, some variable speed. Also most audio equipment, players and receivers, have feet allowing some clearance and air to flow underneath. Unless you're really cranking the receiver producing a lot of heat, or there's no space between the player and the receiver, I don't see a problem for general listening. Any good engineer would design a little extra into the designs to allow for non-ideal situations. I would however, keep the door to the cabinet open. A little common sense would go a long way here. If you can touch the top of the receiver and it's hot, most definitely allow for better air flow, if only warm chances are you can get by in your current configuration.

Forum Regular

Lightbulb

All I have to say is DON'T set your system up like I have it set up. See picture

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air Vents on Receivers-system.jpg  

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by newbsterv2
    All I have to say is DON'T set your system up like I have it set up. See picture
    I have the DVD player exactly above the receiver where you have yours only my receiver is on the top of my 48" TV. The HD DVR is to the left of it and there simply isn't any more room to put everything side by side. What is the object to your left (to the right of your left speaker), Robby the Robot or some Easter Island artifact?

Could you put your DVD player under the DVR ?

Forum Regular

i bought some fans

my marantz was running hot, so i went on ebay and some guy was selling fans that he made himself. I probably could have made them, but i ordered them from him. I would have to guess it is at least a 30 degree difference with the fans on there than without.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by anamorphic96
    Could you put your DVD player under the DVR ?
    I don't know if you're being sarcastic but the DVR (which also has vents) weighs a ton and I think the weight would damagew the DVD player.

Sorry it was just a suggestion. I was not aware DVR's weighed that much. Bad idea then.

Forum Regular

Unhappy Dont cover your digital cable receiver either

I just had newspaper over the digital cable receiver (from the cable co) when painting the room. The unit went into protection and shut down. It took me a while to figure out what happened. And that unit does not generate nearly the heat of my a/v receiver.

Forum Regular
    Back in college, I had a CD player with about 3/8" feet on top of my older Sony receiver. I left it on for about 20 hours one day playing at a very low volume and awoke to the fire alarm and some smoke in my room. The darn thing started smoking like crazy. However, once I turned it off and let it cool for a few hours, it worked fine- however, it still smelled funny once in a while.

I wouldn't want to take another chance like that.

Are you that limited by space where you can't erect some type of audio rack?

Forum Regular
    Are you that limited by space where you can't erect some type of audio rack?[/QUOTE]

No it's that that aesthetically, I like a hi tech minimalist look (See bad cel phone photo) & that's why I have all the stuff on top of the TV (My current receiver & DVD player on not in he photo) and I'd prefer not having to put an audio rack by my TV for all of 1 to 3 items.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air Vents on Receivers-hdtv.jpg  

Screw aesthetics!! Damage free electronics is far more important.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the photo, Hershon! It definitely helps to see a picture.

IMO, I think an audio rack directly to the left of your TV would look pretty darn good- especially if you get a decent looking one. And having 3 components on an rack is perfectly fine- it will look very clean and organized (going with your minimalist look). Then it will make the top of your TV look 'cleaner,' too.

Also, it's much better to be safe than sorry when you're dealing with electronics. Your receiver and DVD player may be fine stacked on top of each other, but why take a chance? I agree with Paul!

You definitely need a rack. I know that Denon is not light, you're going to destroy your TV if you keep stacking sh!t on top of it!

If you don't get a rack, you'll be awakened one night by a huge crash only to stumble into the living room to see the whole system lying on the floor, totally ruined.

Get a rack.

Actually I'd move the TV over about 2 feet and get rid of those Orb's! Put some nice towers on either side of the TV and a nice center on the TV, talk about a 1 million times improvement!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information