Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelthis
    I dont use "gibberish", thats just what your brain translates it into.
    And yes, coherent thought is a good thing, however its rarely used on this board,
    and using it makes you a target for vicious attacks.
    Like teaching evolution to hillbillies
    That's right Pix. It's not you. It's the rest of the world.
    If you say that enough times you may start to believe it. Oops. Too late, isn't it?
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Stay away from plasma PERIOD.
    HEAVY, USES A LOT OF ENERGY, SUBJECT TO BURN IN, lifespan half that of a LCD,
    if that gas leaks out you lose your picture, if tyhat heavy glass envelope falls off the wall
    you lose any small dogs or children that are under it at the time.
    DOES HAVE A COOL NAME THO
    And a better picture with better colors and better black levels.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Forum Regular
    at 8-10 feet with a 50" tv, you will not notice the difference between 768 and 1080. My brother just got the 5080, and I will be purchasing one very soon. It is an absolutely amazing tv. Since you will not be getting into blu-ray anytime soon, you have no reason to get 1080.

Forum Regular
    Its not most prudent to go with 1080p. Seriously, do yourself a favor, go to a high end shop who has the 5080 next to a 1080p model, such as the 5010 or the 1150, and watch the same hi-def cable feed. you will not be able to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SAGENT
    Thanks for all the replies. Seems it would be most prudent to go with the 1080p set. Now my next question would be what brand to go with ? I would like to stay in the $ 2500-3000 MSRP range. Anyone have any good-bad expierience with the LG-Panasonics- Samsungs in that range ?

Forum Regular
    What a stupid post

Stay away from plasma PERIOD.
    HEAVY, USES A LOT OF ENERGY, SUBJECT TO BURN IN, lifespan half that of a LCD,
    if that gas leaks out you lose your picture, if tyhat heavy glass envelope falls off the wall
    you lose any small dogs or children that are under it at the time.
    DOES HAVE A COOL NAME THO

Forum Regular
    The way technology changes these days, you will never buy a TV if you have the mentality of "If I only got this" If you sit around waiting for the next best thing, you will never make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by diggity
    G'day, i think it is probably best to future proof yourself and 1080p.. like pixel already said, there is NOTHING worse then not getting it and in a few years time think "i only i got....". it has happened to me in the not so distanced past. it is better to spend abit more than waste abit less.

i also just purchased PS3 today and the picture and sound ROCKS. equal to my BDPS1 player but half the price!

cheers: dazza

I'd say under 45" or so, stick to a 720p and save some cash..... also, because of the bit-rate, etc. a GOOD higher end model of 720p will look better than a 1080p vizio..... I've seen it, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny p
    I'd say under 45" or so, stick to a 720p and save some cash..... also, because of the bit-rate, etc. a GOOD higher end model of 720p will look better than a 1080p vizio..... I've seen it, I know.

I agree, I've looked at 40 and 46" 1080P and 720P TV's side by side and from 6' away you could not tell the difference. And a good 720p set will look better than an average 1080p set for sure.

O'shag, how can you say that screen size doesnt matter? It sure does, but you have to take into consideration how close you are to the TV.
    And Pix, as far as energy use goes, the difference for a years use of an LCD vs Plasma is minimal. Look at this months consumer reports
    A 52" LCD costs $80/yr, a 1080p 50" plasma $110/yr. If you have to worry about $30 per year more on the electric bill then you cant afford the TV!
    Last edited by blackraven; 02-05-2008 at 10:41 PM.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Duds
    What a stupid post

And basically true.
    Which is probably why you think its stupid
    LG 42", integra 6.9, B&W 602s2, CC6 center, dm305rears, b&w
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    pronto remote, technics antique direct drive TT
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player
    emotiva upa-2 two channel amp

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    And a better picture with better colors and better black levels.
    And you have to watch it in the dark because of the glare off of the screen.
    And the picture isnt any better than any other display , in some respects its worse.
    Good or bad, you can watch that "better" picture with the news scroll burned into the bottom of the screen because you fell asleep watching CNN
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    Not even close to being true.

And basically true.
    Which is probably why you think its stupid

Forum Regular
    It's 2008, not 1998. Burn in is no longer an issue with plasma. And the TV the op is considering, the Pioneer 5080, has a pixel orbiter that makes any chance of burn in a non issue.

And the picture isnt any better than any other display , in some respects its worse.
    Good or bad, you can watch that "better" picture with the news scroll burned into the bottom of the screen because you fell asleep watching CNN

In the dark? Nope, never have any trouble with watching my dad's in the middle of the day. The glare problem has been greatly reduced. Don't you keep up with modern technical news?
    The picture is better than LCD. LCD does have other advantages, but picture quality isn't one of them.
    Burn in is not a factor the way it used to be either. Again, keep up with the improvements of both types if you are going to try to compare them for others to read.

Cool

It's 2008, not 1998. Burn in is no longer an issue with plasma. And the TV the op is considering, the Pioneer 5080, has a pixel orbiter that makes any chance of burn in a non issue.
    YEAH, burn in is a "non issue".
    Thats why they had to design something like a "pixel orbiter" and pay the expense
    to put it in
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GMichael
    In the dark? Nope, never have any trouble with watching my dad's in the middle of the day. The glare problem has been greatly reduced. Don't you keep up with modern technical news?
    The picture is better than LCD. LCD does have other advantages, but picture quality isn't one of them.
    Burn in is not a factor the way it used to be either. Again, keep up with the improvements of both types if you are going to try to compare them for others to read.
    YOU keep up with the "technical news", mainly that they are having a problem keeping the gas in these glass envelopes.
    Plasmas require more energy, use thousands of volts to run, have half the lifespan
    of an LCd, and have you noticed that they are comparably priced with LCD?
    this is because LCD is kicking plasmas butt in the market.
    Its the same all over in this hobby, one way of doing things (plasma) is finicky, prone to problems, costs more, and is more difficult to use, so it MUST be better!
    This is the same mentality that prefers turntables over digital music, and tubes over solid state.
    The only reason we have plasma AT ALL is because the marketing advantage of a flat screen caused it
    to be rushed to market.
    Funny about how some talk about the "great picture", plasma has always had problems with black level.
    And they emit ultraviolet radiation.
    Some might think the picture is "better", fooey, that is their opinion.
    And opinions are like a**holes, everybodies got one and most stink.
    Plasma will be pretty much GONE in a year, two tops.
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

YOU keep up with the "technical news", mainly that they are having a problem keeping the gas in these glass envelopes.
    Plasmas require more energy, use thousands of volts to run, have half the lifespan
    Its the same all over in this hobby, one way of doing things (plasma) is finicky, prone to problems, costs more, and is more difficult to use, so it MUST be better!
    This is the same mentality that prefers turntables over digital music, and tubes over solid state.
    The only reason we have plasma AT ALL is because the marketing advantage of a flat screen caused it
    to be rushed to market.
    Funny about how some talk about the "great picture", plasma has always had problems with black level.

Now you're talking Pix. Much of what you say here is true. But to date, plasma still has a better picture. Granted, the difference is no where near what it used to be. LCD keeps getting better. Plasma keeps getting better. In the long run, I believe that LCD will take over (if it hasn't already) because of most of the reason you pointed out above. I just can't let you get away with saying that LCD has a better picture. That's just not true yet.

Oh, and although I agree with the theme of what you are saying above, some of your points are a little exaggerated. Plasmas are yielding 40,000 hours in some models. The gas leaking is not wide spread. Less than 1/2 of one percent. They do weigh much more and take many times the energy to run. The pricing depends on the size. Over 50" and the plasmas actually cost less. Under 50" and LCD prices still rule.

Every one I know of here in minnesota is buying a plasma because of the picture and more importantly, the price! $3-4K for a 52" LCD is a lot of money. Many people then see that you can get a 50" plasma for $1500-2500 and go with the plasma. I don't think that the majority of the public is thinking about the drawbacks of a plasma tv, you give them too much credit! We are dealing with a public that thinks MP3, HT and Bose is hifidelity.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    LOL! i watched the Superbowl on a brand spankin new Sony LCD, and it looked like crap. I'm guessing your reply will be that it wasnt set up properly. Well, my bro's 5080 right out of the box smoked this Sony LCD.

Plasmas have problems with black levels? Well, just so happens the tv the op is looking for is known to have the best black levels around, not just in the plasma market, but in the LCD market as well.

Who gives a rats ass how heavy the TV is anyway? I can tell you my bro's 5080 is a hell of a lot lighter than a freakin Tube tv. And you make it sound as if every plasma has to be mounted on a wall.

LCD's are winning the battle because most consumers dont do research on tv's and run out and buy lcd tv's made by freakin vizio and olevia.

to be rushed to market.

Forum Regular
    So, LCDs are free of drawbacks??

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    Every one I know of here in minnesota is buying a plasma because of the picture and more importantly, the price! $3-4K for a 52" LCD is a lot of money. Many people then see that you can get a 50" plasma for $1500-2500 and go with the plasma. I don't think that the majority of the public is thinking about the drawbacks of a plasma tv, you give them too much credit! We are dealing with a public that thinks MP3, HT and Bose is hifidelity.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundbeef
    Why didn't you go get a OTA (Over The Air) receiver and get your local (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX, PBS) channels HD for free? I've been doing it for 4 years, and I have DirecTV. The over the air signal is clean, uncompressed, and AWESOME. A converter (if you TV doesn't have one) is cheap usually between $50-100.

You really need to get your TV hooked up and see what you've been missing. Your tax $$ helped pay for it, so you might as well enjoy them.
    Beef, even OTA broadcasts are heavily compressed. The bandwidth of a single channel is 19.4mbps. However most stations split that between one 14.4mbps channel(main) and two smaller subcarrier digital channels. Considering uncompressed video is like 3000:1, you can see there is no way to really send anything uncompressed over the air.
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Cool

LOL! i watched the Superbowl on a brand spankin new Sony LCD, and it looked like crap. I'm guessing your reply will be that it wasnt set up properly. Well, my bro's 5080 right out of the box smoked this Sony LCD.

Plasmas have problems with black levels? Well, just so happens the tv the op is looking for is known to have the best black levels around, not just in the plasma market, but in the LCD market as well.

Who gives a rats ass how heavy the TV is anyway? I can tell you my bro's 5080 is a hell of a lot lighter than a freakin Tube tv. And you make it sound as if every plasma has to be mounted on a wall.

LCD's are winning the battle because most consumers dont do research on tv's and run out and buy lcd tv's made by freakin vizio and olevia.

Thats right, everybodies a dumbass but YOU.
    One of the reasons I praise the death of CRT is their weight, last year a 4 year old girl tipped one over, it crushed her head, I can guarantee you that her parents care about how much a tv "weighs".
    We barely have the tech down to make tubes, much less glass envelopes that plasmas require, which is why they leak gas, and die, which they do. All the time.
    Speaking of "dying" you're right, a plasma doesnt have to be mounted on a wall, but its actually safer, know whats gonna happen when a kid or dog knocks over your set sitting on a stand?
    Not to mention the radiation emitted from a plasma, ultraviolet, which is whats called ionizing radiation. And thats just what they admit to.
    I AM NOT GOING TO CONCEDE THAT A PLASMA HAS A BETTER PICTURE,
    I have had several xbr's, monitors, etc, and the picture from my vizio stands up quite well,
    it displays computer video and HD quite well.
    BUT one thing that you have trouble telling HT types is that a monitor is a complicated thing, and there are several factors to consider, not just PQ.
    In a nation populated by green and purple people on screens watched by those who dont care, LCD is outstanding.
    Which is my main point, its going to be the dominant if not only monitor choice, we need to start improving the breed, because it can be better.
    The gasoline engine won out over electric and steam because the real world all around
    conveinence made it a winner, refinement made it as good as it is today.
    Nobody bleated that steam was "better" for some reason or other, they just moved on.
    LCD is cheap, has a bright non glare picture, is safe, and long lasting and versatile,
    and has a great picture.
    And until OLED gets here it will be tHE main way everybody watches TV, so PQ types need to get over it.
    GREAT THING IS YOU CAN GET A 50IN FOR OVER 3 GRAND, BUT you can also get a 46 in for 1500.
    Saw a RCA 46in for 1200 the OTHER DAY AS A MATTER OF FACT
    So if you want a heavy, radiation emitting gas leaking energy hog of a TV better hurry
    and stock up, they wont be around long
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    So lets see, you can tip over a plasma tv that is on a stand, but you cant tip over an LCD that is on a stand?

a 4 year old girl tipped over a tube tv huh? wow, must have been one strong 4 year old.

you're a clown, you really are

Thats right, everybodies a dumbass but YOU.
    One of the reasons I praise the death of CRT is their weight, last year a 4 year old girl tipped one over, it crushed her head, I can guarantee you that her parents care about how much a tv "weighs".
    We barely have the tech down to make tubes, much less glass envelopes that plasmas require, which is why they leak gas, and die, which they do. All the time.
    Speaking of "dying" you're right, a plasma doesnt have to be mounted on a wall, but its actually safer, know whats gonna happen when a kid or dog knocks over your set sitting on a stand?
    Not to mention the radiation emitted from a plasma, ultraviolet, which is whats called ionizing radiation. And thats just what they admit to.
    I AM NOT GOING TO CONCEDE THAT A PLASMA HAS A BETTER PICTURE,
    I have had several xbr's, monitors, etc, and the picture from my vizio stands up quite well,
    it displays computer video and HD quite well.
    BUT one thing that you have trouble telling HT types is that a monitor is a complicated thing, and there are several factors to consider, not just PQ.
    In a nation populated by green and purple people on screens watched by those who dont care, LCD is outstanding.
    Which is my main point, its going to be the dominant if not only monitor choice, we need to start improving the breed, because it can be better.
    The gasoline engine won out over electric and steam because the real world all around
    conveinence made it a winner, refinement made it as good as it is today.
    Nobody bleated that steam was "better" for some reason or other, they just moved on.
    LCD is cheap, has a bright non glare picture, is safe, and long lasting and versatile,
    and has a great picture.
    And until OLED gets here it will be tHE main way everybody watches TV, so PQ types need to get over it.
    GREAT THING IS YOU CAN GET A 50IN FOR OVER 3 GRAND, BUT you can also get a 46 in for 1500.
    Saw a RCA 46in for 1200 the OTHER DAY AS A MATTER OF FACT
    So if you want a heavy, radiation emitting gas leaking energy hog of a TV better hurry
    and stock up, they wont be around long

Cool

So lets see, you can tip over a plasma tv that is on a stand, but you cant tip over an LCD that is on a stand?

a 4 year old girl tipped over a tube tv huh? wow, must have been one strong 4 year old.

you're a clown, you really are
    Some of the nurses that tended this girl were quite "strong" but I saw a rare thing while they were tending to this girl. tears.
    Just because some idiots didnt know how to properly anchor a TV.
    My LCD weighs 53 lbs without the stand, how much does you"re "plasma" weigh?
    Not to mention that my LCD is mostly plastic. A lot more forgiving of the stupidity of humans, of which you're a prime example.
    ass
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Forum Regular
    The Pioneer 5080 weighs 76 pounds. a whopping 23 more punds than your plastic LCD.

Look, I don't care if people prefer LCD over plasma, everyone has their own opinion. But don't make idiotic statements about plasmas just to support your love affair with LCD.

Some of the nurses that tended this girl were quite "strong" but I saw a rare thing while they were tending to this girl. tears.
    Just because some idiots didnt know how to properly anchor a TV.
    My LCD weighs 53 lbs without the stand, how much does you"re "plasma" weigh?
    Not to mention that my LCD is mostly plastic. A lot more forgiving of the stupidity of humans, of which you're a prime example.
    ass

Cool

The Pioneer 5080 weighs 76 pounds. a whopping 23 more punds than your plastic LCD.

Look, I don't care if people prefer LCD over plasma, everyone has their own opinion. But don't make idiotic statements about plasmas just to support your love affair with LCD.

LCD is a temporary solution, it will be surpassed by Oled.
    There are several ways of watching video in your living room, plasma is the dumbest,
    its a device rushed to market because no one thought LCD would get there as fast as it did, if we had had LCD first, plasma would have never gotten off of the ground.
    And your set weighs 76 pounds, good for you, will weigh a few ounces less when the gas escapes
    sub asw2500
    Panny DVDA player
    sharp Aquos BLU player
    Samsung SACD/DVDA player

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information