Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994

    What's your guess?

    My Pioneer 79AVI stopped playing out the right speaker with SACD. Everything else{DVD-A,DVD,CD} works just fine but when i put a sacd in nothing out the right speaker.
    Look & Listen

  2. #2
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    they're all being played on the same player?

    sounds like a decoding issue...

    check all the options, maybe reset them to factory default (if there is a factory default button, use that), if that doesn't solve things, well, you've got a problem...

    Good luck,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  3. #3
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    X
    Posts
    2,286
    Shokhead,

    SACD is the only one of those formats that REQUIRES decoding on the DVD player. Do you run a digital connection to your receiver in addition to the analog connections? Could be the analog connection for the right speaker is loose but you only notice for SACD because all other formats go digital to your receiver for decoding.

  4. #4
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Hummm

    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    My Pioneer 79AVI stopped playing out the right speaker with SACD. Everything else{DVD-A,DVD,CD} works just fine but when i put a sacd in nothing out the right speaker.
    Is the 79AVI your receiver or your player? You can only get actual SACD sound from your player to your receiver using analog connections, so if you're talking about a coax or optical connection, then you're talking about a player problem, viz. the player isn't reading the SACD'S CD layer properly.

    On the other hand if SACD is via analog connections -- while CD, DVD, DVD-A are via coax/optical -- then likely there is a problem with either the player's analog output or the receiver's analog input. Try using the player's analog output for CD and see if that works.

  5. #5
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Its my DVD player and my DVD-A discs plays fine and my SACD discs doesn't play out the right speaker so it can't be the analog cable. I did reset to default and it still did it.

    Try using the player's analog output for CD and see if that works.
    Analogs works fine for everything but the right speaker for SACD disc.
    Look & Listen

  6. #6
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    X
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Its my DVD player and my DVD-A discs plays fine and my SACD discs doesn't play out the right speaker so it can't be the analog cable. I did reset to default and it still did it.

    Try using the player's analog output for CD and see if that works.
    Analogs works fine for everything but the right speaker for SACD disc.
    So you have no digital connection from the player to the receiver? Most players would default to sending the digital signal for DVD-A to the reciever, which would auto detect the signal. The exception being that no player on the planet sends SACD in any form than analog to the receiver.

    I'd still do the dumb experiment and switch out your right analog with a new cable... I don't know for sure how SACD is laid down but I dont think there's any way that the information for the right channel would not be read. It's likely all one stream of digital info that is decoded into 5.1 channels. You can't not decode a channel.

  7. #7
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Well, not quite

    Quote Originally Posted by noddin0ff
    So you have no digital connection from the player to the receiver? Most players would default to sending the digital signal for DVD-A to the reciever, which would auto detect the signal. The exception being that no player on the planet sends SACD in any form than analog to the receiver.

    ...
    Doesn't DVD-A only go via analog for copy protection reasons? I don't have DVD-A's myself.

    Actually some players will pass a DSD signals by way of HDMI to your receiver; (my Oppo 980H for one). Of course there are very few, if any, receivers today that are to decode a DSD signal.
    Last edited by Feanor; 02-01-2008 at 07:22 AM.

  8. #8
    Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    X
    Posts
    2,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Doesn't DVD-A only go via analog for copy protection reasons? I don't have DVD-A's myself.

    Actually some players will pass a DSD signals by way of HDMI to your receiver; (my Oppo 980H for one). Of course there are very few, if any, receivers today that will able to decode a DSD signal.
    My bad. You're right. DVD-A would have to go analog as well. And the whole HDMI is designed not to let you get at a decoded bitstream as well.

  9. #9
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    Let me clear this up, everything i play through the analogs work fine except a SACD disc, nothing out the right speaker. Dig connection has nothing to do with this.
    Look & Listen

  10. #10
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    I guess basite was right

    Quote Originally Posted by shokhead
    Let me clear this up, everything i play through the analogs work fine except a SACD disc, nothing out the right speaker. Dig connection has nothing to do with this.
    The DSD decoding isn't working. In any case your player is pooched for SACD
    playback.

  11. #11
    BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,994
    I wonder what that would cost to fix? Hard to find free est. places anymore.
    Look & Listen

  12. #12
    nightflier
    Guest
    That doesn't sound like an inexpensive repair. Have you contacted Pioneer?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •