View Poll Results: Which is your "weakest" component of your system ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Power amp/pre-amp and/or integrated amp

6 14.29%
  • AV and/or surround receiver

2 4.76%
  • Front end speakers

5 11.90%
  • Non front speakers (centre, sub woofer, surrounds etc)

1 2.38%
  • CD/DVD or Universal disc player

13 30.95%
  • LCD/plasma/CRT TV/rear projection/projector (visual)

4 9.52%
  • Cables, interconnects, speaker cables, spk plugs etc

4 9.52%
  • Other (sources, media centre, or other)

7 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett A
    I had to vote "other" because it's definitely (in order) my phono stage, my TT, then my cartridge.

When I first received the CA 640P I liked the tone and the high frequency purity but the more I listened the more I thought where is the sound stage. I went back to the Rotel for more depth and seperation between instruments. The Rotel sounds a little more aggresive but the music is less confused. My AT 440ML sounded good in my Thorens TD 290 which is another Pro-Ject sourced table. The AT should sound good in a Pro-Ject table.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    You're like a pitbull on that one, aren't you? Just keeping the legend of Melvin alive...
    Poor old Melv.. we need to get him back around the parts

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by audio amateur
    Poor old Melv.. we need to get him back around the parts

The ban can be lifted.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    The ban can be lifted.
    Well if we was banned there probably was reason. We don't know if he'd come back either. The debates were fun though

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by filecat13
    My DVD player was one of the highest ranked in a number of comparative reviews (including "Secrets of Home..."), but that was a few years ago. I've been holding out until there's a compelling universal product and also waiting to see how the BR/HDDVD thing played out.

Now I'm not so sure I want to invest in another format on top of the stuff I already have, so a top flight CD/DVD/DVD-A/SACD/upconverting player might be the ticket.

The XP50 still does a great job, but it's getting long in the tooth, and that shiny, mirrored silver case looks completely out of place. Also, there's no HDMI or DVI.
    I, too, owned the Pannie XP-50 and absolutely loved the video reproduction. When I bought my Oppo 980, I thought I was taking the next step up in picture quality.

Wrong.

The XP-50 was smoother and more film-like. The 980 has better connectivity and audio. However, if I had a choice between my new 980 and a new XP-50 I would take the Pannie in a heartbeat, shiny finish and all.
    Last edited by RoyY51; 05-20-2008 at 04:03 AM.

After several days of contemplating this poll and analyzing my current set up.
    Hands down, it's the speakers (all of them). Don't get me wrong, I believe that Klipsch offers a good value, but for my system to actually to improve, an upgrade in speakers is the most logical step. I would then say that my AV Receiver would be the next weak link in my system. Lord knows, I love my Marantz SR9300. It's a great performer. Especially when it comes to 2 channel playback. As far as connectivity is concerned, handles all of my components (11), and is user friendly. But, where it excels in connectivity, it also falls short of today's technology, namely HDMI and the newer hi-res audio formats TDHD/DTS-HD/MA, etc,.... A new pre pro/multi-channel amp combo or a Hi-end AV Receiver with version 1.3 connectivity is also in order. Thirdly would be the Flat panel, being that it's 1366 x 768. 1080P is a must, but it can wait a little longer.

Regards.
    ldgibson76
    Chance favors the prepared mine.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Weakest link Crek Destiny

Quote Originally Posted by Gab
    imo the creek destiny realy rocks but you can achieve a good source with building your own dac / cd transport , there is kits and parts and it works very well...

if you have a very detailled sound system you might want a rega saturn....

After than you reached the limits of digital sound, i am not kidding, now your looking for LP, old recording mostly to beat the rega sound. With the pro-ject 10 rpm your going to experience time travel.
    Hi hello everybody - I´m new user of this site and have problems with Destiny´s DVD-ROM unit as it produces noises like a clock on the wall. So It´s impossible to enjoy pianomusic ( J.S.Bach Goldbergvariations/ K.Jarret:Köln Concert). Unit has been already muffled by german distributor an the case by myself with bitumen - but without great success. Think you have a tip for me.
    Thanx a lot

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oaqm
    The owner is the weakest link in my system. He's old, notoriously cranky, and he can't hear a damned thing over 10KHz. I would trade him in, but I'm fundamentally worthless.... I mean, the owner is fundamentally worthless.
    What a great post.

I'd agree with JohnMichael. I could use another couple of feet on either side of the ML's to gettem to really sang.

Forum Regular
    The weakest component of my system is ----- ME

Forum Regular
    My system needs 2 or 3 upgrades, first the Cambridge Audio receiver that i use as a power amp needs to be replaced with a proper amp, second i hope to replace my PS3 with the Denon 3800 blue ray and maybe a new SACD player to replace my old Sony. The rest of my gear( Anthem, Sim Audio, Focal) should be good to go.

bill
    Speakers-Jm Labs
    Disc player-Sim Audio Moon Calypso
    Pre-amp-Sim Audio P-5.3 SE
    dac= sim audio moon 300d

Amp-Sim Audio Moon I-3
    Display-Toshiba CRT
    Wires and Cables-Kimber,Straight Wire, ixos, Gutwire and shunyata research
    Sacd-Cambridge Audio
    Bluray--Sony and Cambridge Audio
    Remote-- Harmony 1100

Power-- Monster

After reading these responses I might have to change my "weakest" component to "owner."
    I like sulung tang.

I would like my room to be a little wider. I sit about 16 feet from the main speakers but only have them about 11 feet apart. Otherwise, I am very happy with my system as it is. My dreams on upgrades include going with HDMI so that I can go from a 720p projector to a 1080p. And If I'm going to make that change, I may as well go with separates this time instead of a receiver. Until then, I like everything the way it is except for how close my front speakers are together.
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information